11/02/19 - Las Vegas, NV - The Colosseum at Caesars Palace

alfierose

8 hours ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

which is understandable but with the current state of music could it fail? Shadow of Your Love was a B side turn single and did decent. If Hard School or an upbeat rocker like it was released I think i'd do quite well.

I am not worried about it being successful, I would just want it to be on par or at least close to as good as their classic stuff.  I am assuming it will be successful on the charts either way. 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

The biggest draw for me in GNR is Axl’s creative input- it’s why Chinese is my favorite album of all time. The shows are a blast and I love seeing some of the new songs they add to the set each leg, but it is depressing to have pretty much no further development as a band creatively.

15 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The shows are a blast and I love seeing some of the new songs they add to the set each leg, but it is depressing to have pretty much no further development as a band creatively.

Agreed. They can only pull out the deep cuts for so long before that gets boring too. Remember how excited we were when they pulled Coma out? Now it's just as stale as the rest of the set. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I am not worried about it being successful, I just want to to be on par or at least close to as good as their classic stuff.  I am assuming it will be successful on the charts either way. 

I think it would be a worthwhile release and that a lot of people will place it after UYI I & II, whether it's better than Chinese or not. It's never going to top those early records, but I honestly don't think they should be bothering to compete with their legacy. Slash has plenty of snakey riffs in him that can get Axl fire breathing again, I just hope he's let out to play. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Some of their best songs have been eliminated due to Axl’s vocal chords not responding well. Out Ta Get Me, and You’re Crazy I know are tough on him. There’s probably a few more he avoids because of a lasting impact they have. 

Axl's vocal chords don't respond well to about 90% of the setlist at this point :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Some of their best songs have been eliminated due to Axl’s vocal chords not responding well. Out Ta Get Me, and You’re Crazy I know are tough on him. There’s probably a few more he avoids because of a lasting impact they have. 

Too bad Wichita Lineman isn't hard on his vocal chords then huh? :P

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

Axl's vocal chords don't respond well to about 90% of the setlist at this point :wacko:

Well most of it is on purpose. He chooses to not push his voice anymore, I think if he wanted to he could do the hard work of going back to his vocal coach, work on a 12-15 song set, and nail it but have to put his voice on the brink. It seemed to work well with what he wanted to accomplish with ACDC. 
I think he has zero interest in doing the same for GNR songs. But it’s also important to remember less breathing and more lyrics on GNR material so difficulty goes up for sure.

Plus bring 57 now is not helpful haha but if he wanted to he could retire GNR and go to work on lighter material. Not sure that interest him though. 

3 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Too bad Wichita Lineman isn't hard on his vocal chords then huh? :P

I love Wichita. He sings it really well. It shouldn’t be lost that Axl has a great natural voice. We are just hearing him struggle with the higher register as he ages. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I love Wichita. He sings it really well. It shouldn’t be lost that Axl has a great natural voice. We are just hearing him struggle with the higher register as he ages. 

That was mostly in jest, I actually think he sings Wichita really well too.  I just could definitely go without hearing that or BHS in favor of something like Don't Cry and Patience both getting played

• Like 1

Just now, WhazUp said:

That was mostly in jest, I actually think he sings Wichita really well too.  I just could definitely go without hearing that or BHS in favor of something like Don't Cry and Patience both getting played

For sure! Lots of good stuff they gets benched. There’s a really nice setlist to be had 

2 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Nobody goes to a GNR show to hear Glen Campbell and Soundgarden covers.

They both needed to be dropped after the first time that they were played.

I dont know why they coverred their songs. If gnr viewed those bands as peers a post on social media should have sufficed. Bhs was never covered well and i thought gnr looked out of place doing the song.

Edited by Sydney Fan

On 11/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, nycgunner said:

I was there last night.  For me, it was an incredibly disappointing night.  I could see how this show was awesome if this is your first GNR show in 2019.  I saw them in SLC on Tuesday and had a blast.  I went tonight and it was just boring since it was the exact same setlist, notwithstanding Slash’s solo was different and they through in Madagascar. We didn’t get Locomotive either. 

The whole thing is just so rehearsed and inorganic.  No fan interaction. Slash jumps off the risers at the same spot at the same time.  Axl makes the same facial expressions and dance moves at the same points in songs.

It wasn’t terrible, it’s just boring at this point, which is why people are complaining.  I’d go see them again in a year or so, but I won’t travel again for this band unless something material changes. 

The best part of the night was meeting other Guns fans. I don’t get how “super-fans” spend $10k+ on travel, pit tickets, and merch (if not more) for multiple shows on this tour. 

Kind of sad that these days "super-fans" are defined by how much money they have rather than anything else. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Kind of sad that these days "super-fans" are defined by how much money they have rather than anything else. 

Not my definition, but if one is going to GA at every show in different states, I don’t see how that can be done under $10k given flights, hotels, and insane ticket prices (GA for Vegas was $750 to $1300 before fees). I met multiple people who had GA for both and came from the other side of the globe 

2 minutes ago, nycgunner said:

Not my definition, but if one is going to GA at every show in different states, I don’t see how that can be done under $10k given flights, hotels, and insane ticket prices (GA for Vegas was $750 to $1300 before fees). I met multiple people who had GA for both and came from the other side of the globe 

Yeah, it's insane isn't it? I just don't understand how on earth people have that level of disposable income, as well as spare time. Personally, I struggle to afford one show. I could never have afforded a Vegas ticket, even if I lived there. 

I also think though that you can take so much more enjoyment from limiting yourself - I'd probably rather be blown away by a one-off experience I never did again than keep repeating that experience.

I don't know - good luck to people if they have excessive amounts of free time and disposable income and want to do it. I just think it's kind of sad that the 'super fan' has changed from the scruffy kid who wants to have his mind blown to those who have the deep enough pockets to be at the front and buy their 'VIP experiences'. Times have changed I know, but all the things that drew me to rock music as a kid seem to be pretty unimportant to a lot of bands these days. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Out Ta Get Me is not though for Axl. It's one of the easiest GNR songs for Axl to sing cause so much of it is just screaming. Who knows why they're not playing it. Maybe Axl doesn't want to play too much AFD. Maybe Axl's sick and tired of that song. We don't know why they don't play certain songs and why they prefer playing stuff like Black Home Sun instead. But there's no reason to think that OTGM is too difficult for Axl's vocal chords, when he's always performed it much better than most songs on the setlist.

10 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

@Tom-Ass that's a fair point. I suppose what I was trying to say is that they can do more than just add deep cuts. Remember the 91/92 sets? Different openers and set order but still the same songs with rotations. I'd like to see that.

100% they could benefit from mixing up the openers and song order a bit.  I am down with that for sure. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Out Ta' Get Me was consistently one of Axl's best songs and highlights of the shows for the majority of the tour.  Put me down for being on the Wichita Lineman train too. I think Axl sound great and I love seeing the little acoustic jam.  I could care less if I ever hear BHS again though. I don't even like the original. 

Out Ta Get Me was my favourite song of the set in 2016. Axl just killed it and when Adler joined them for it and My Michelle then it was the closest sounding to old guns we got. 

• Like 3