11/02/19 - Las Vegas, NV - The Colosseum at Caesars Palace

alfierose

1 minute ago, Saltzy said:

BTW, I think my favorite microcosm of what this band once was and what they have become now is watching Axl throw the mic stand with 'fire and rage', only to watch some pathetic lackey run over from behind the stage and set it back up for him....X's like 5 or 6 times per show he does it.

It's just such a perfect analogy of how this band has become nothing more than a novelty act of what they used to be.

It's just sad at this point.

I honestly hope they wrap it up, take the bazillion dollars they made on this tour, and never play again.

It's what needs to happen at this point.

I wouldn’t mind seeing them again only saw them once but missed shadow and slither. Locomotive is my dream to hear live. I’m extremely jealous

5 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing them again only saw them once but missed shadow and slither. Locomotive is my dream to hear live. I’m extremely jealous

Uhh...yeah. So am I, of the people at the show in freaking Oklahoma that got to see it.

That was basically the cherry on the shit sandwich for me.

These fuckers play the one song I wanna hear more than any others (outside of Bad Obsession and One in A Million, not cause I am a terrible person BTW, just cause witnessing it would be the most amazing concert moment ever) at show a month before playing in Vegas, and then proceed to not play it again.

Infuriating to me.

I lost my mind when I realized it wasn't gonna be played Saturday night.  That was LITERALLY all I wanted to hear.

3 hours ago, Saltzy said:

BTW, I think my favorite microcosm of what this band once was and what they have become now is watching Axl throw the mic stand with 'fire and rage', only to watch some pathetic lackey run over from behind the stage and set it back up for him....X's like 5 or 6 times per show he does it.

It's just such a perfect analogy of how this band has become nothing more than a novelty act of what they used to be.

It's just sad at this point.

I honestly hope they wrap it up, take the bazillion dollars they made on this tour, and never play again.

It's what needs to happen at this point.

I'm pretty sure they've always had someone run in and reset Axl's mic stand, like since the beginning. Not a big deal.  Hell, Freddie Mercury used to have an assistant tie his shoes before a show.

38 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I'm pretty sure they've always had someone run in and reset Axl's mic stand, like since the beginning. Not a big deal.  Hell, Freddie Mercury used to have an assistant tie his shoes before a show.

It looks cheesy/cringe since he's no longer the wildman he was back in the 80's and 90's. Hell even '02 Axl could pull that off. Not now. I agree with whoever said that their concerts are starting to feel broadway show-esque. 

Edited by RONIN

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

It looks cheesy/cringe since he's no longer the wildman he was back in the 80's and 90's. Hell even '02 Axl could pull that off. Not now. I agree with whoever said that their concerts are starting to feel broadway show-esque. 

Ya, that was me.

Also, even if it's always been the case (and I would need some kind of proof of that, as it's hard for me to imagine some jackass back stage at The Troubadour or Whiskey A Go Go picking up the mic stand when he tossed it back in 1987), at least that was organic and unplanned.

I had a seat with a good overall view of the entire stage on Saturday, and it hit me for the 1st time on this tour just HOW scripted these whole shows are.

Every movement that everyone makes the entire show is completely choreographed.  Nothing is random.  Everything that happens from the second that the 1st note of It's So Easy is played to the mic toss at the end of Paradise City is planned and scripted.

Coming from a band that used to take the stage at midnight fucked up on booze and drugs that represented young angst and grit, that fucking sucks.

It is the literal antithesis of what they are supposed to be.

They are a novelty act now, and that is when I personally exit stage left.

Edited by Saltzy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I agree with whoever said that their concerts are starting to feel broadway show-esque. 

I thought the Vegas shows looked a lot less staged.  The stage was very clean, bright, crisp and less cluttered.  The videos really got their due and imo are pretty cool.  I think the guys are handsome, fit for their age but yeah they aren't the young wild men they use to be.  That's okay, none of us are and if you're young, looking for that roll model, go with some band your own age.  These guys are proof it ain't over just because you reach a certain age.  You can still rock without sitting in your rocking chair. :lol:  Who thought any of them would live this long based on those young men behaviors?  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Saltzy said:

Ya, that was me.

Also, even if it's always been the case (and I would need some kind of proof of that, as it's hard for me to imagine some jackass back stage at The Troubadour or Whiskey A Go Go picking up the mic stand when he tossed it back in 1987), at least that was organic and unplanned.

I had a seat with a good overall view of the entire stage on Saturday, and it hit me for the 1st time on this tour just HOW scripted these whole shows are.

Every movement that everyone makes the entire show is completely choreographed.  Nothing is random.  Everything that happens from the second that the 1st note of It's So Easy is played to the mic toss at the end of Paradise City is planned and scripted.

Coming from a band that used to take the stage at midnight fucked up on booze and drugs that represented young angst and grit, that fucking sucks.

It is the literal antithesis of what they are supposed to be.

They are a novelty act now, and that is when I personally exit stage left.

I totally understand what you're saying and I get it.  But you said "taking the stage at midnight fucked up on booze and drugs that represented young angst."  They simply aren't those guys anymore and they're certainly not young, relatively speaking. It would be disingenuous and sad for them to pretend to be.  Father time is undefeated.

16 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I totally understand what you're saying and I get it.  But you said "taking the stage at midnight fucked up on booze and drugs that represented young angst."  They simply aren't those guys anymore and they're certainly not young, relatively speaking. It would be disingenuous and sad for them to pretend to be.  Father time is undefeated.

Not to derail this thread, but there are still plenty of bands that might be older than they used to be but stick to some level of legitimacy of what they once were.  Again, Pearl Jam is one.  Yeah, Eddie is not swinging from the light fixtures anymore, but he still drinks 2 bottles of wine every show and more importantly, is SOOOO into every show.  It's not an act.  It's not to rake in as much cash as he possibly can.  He legitimately fucking LOVES IT, and everyone can see that and reacts to it.  It's why they have a cult like following of fans that follow them everywhere they go.

It's not the age.  It's the obvious lack of giving a fuck.  It's the blatant level of there is zero chance we would would be doing this if we weren't getting paid a bazillion dollars to do so.  It's the show being a completely scripted 'get em in, squeeze em for every fucking nickel we can get out of em, you should feel honored we even play for you losers, get em out' nature of these shows that has finally gotten me to this level of frustration with this band.

Edited by Saltzy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Quick side tangent.  I was at the bar outside the venue by the sports book like an hour before the show Saturday and was bullshitting with the guys next to me.  Turns out they were friends/roommates with members of Dirty Honey, the opening act.

One of my 1st questions/comments was 'Wow, it must be incredible for a new unheard of band to be able to meet and spend some time with rock icons, huh?'

I should have known the response before I even heard it, but in the least surprising answer ever they told me, 'Oh, yeah.  They don't get to meet GNR. They were just told when/where to show up and given a few tickets for their friends.'

I mean, not even being willing to meet your fucking opening act?    Seriously?

Give me a break.  That has nothing to do with being old.

It just means you think you are better than everyone else and are a ruthless cockface. 

Edited by Saltzy
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Saltzy said:

Tom Mayhue used to do this job during the UYI tour (maybe he still does it, as he is still Axl's tech):

http://www.a-4-d.com/t1856-1991-07-19-shoreline-amphitheatre-mountain-view-usa#13518

(The writer of the article took a lot of liberties in his description of Axl's reaction, as from the audio it sounds like Axl was rather joking - Scroll down for the audio)

8 minutes ago, Saltzy said:

Quick side tangent.  I was at the bar outside the venue by the sports book like an hour before the show Saturday and was bullshitting with the guys next to me.  Turns out they were friends/roommates with members of Dirty Honey, the opening act.

One of my 1st questions/comments was 'Wow, it must be incredible for a new unheard of band to be able to meet and spend some time with rock icons, huh?'

I should have known the response before I even heard it, but in the least surprising answer ever they told me, 'Oh, yeah.  They don't get to meet GNR. They were just told when/where to show up and given a few tickets for their friends.'

It just means you think you are better than everyone else and are a ruthless cockface. 

I talked with those Dirty Honey dudes earlier this year after they warmed up for The Who and the guitarist told me that Slash was his hero. 

I'm sure he was thrilled to find out that he wouldn't even be meeting him.  What a joke.

The Rolling Stones at least trot out their opening bands for a quick handshake/backstage pic together at their gigs.  And they are THE ROLLING FUCKIN' STONES.

I appreciate your last few posts in this thread and feel your pain.  This band is fucking infuriating. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Saltzy said:

Totally agree with you there.  Plus, you used "cockface".😄

With GNR, the mindset I go into this band now is, hey they played Dead Horse and Locomotive.  They have recently busted out Slither and SOYL too, and have been playing Coma consistently.  With Slash and Duff.  That is a hell of a lot more than I ever thought we would get from them if you asked me in 2014.  

Can things be better? Of course.  But I am not going to waste time being miserable over "what if's", like maybe I have done with GNR in the past like around the 2013-2014 period.  To me being that miserable over a rock band's choices is a waste of time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saltzy said:

I suspect this is an "Axl" /Team Brazil thing. Hard to imagine Duff and Slash going along with that unless it was a GnR corp mandate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Saltzy said:

2 hours ago, KURT19 said:

I talked with those Dirty Honey dudes earlier this year after they warmed up for The Who and the guitarist told me that Slash was his hero. 

I'm sure he was thrilled to find out that he wouldn't even be meeting him.  What a joke.

The Rolling Stones at least trot out their opening bands for a quick handshake/backstage pic together at their gigs.  And they are THE ROLLING FUCKIN' STONES.

I appreciate your last few posts in this thread and feel your pain.  This band is fucking infuriating. 

That's pretty standard practice though for big tours. When Dirty Honey was on tour with SMKC I know they got to meet everyone then. I'm sure Slash himself doesn't have a problem with it (along with Myles, Fitzy, Frankie, Todd) but on a tour of this size the headliner is always a little out of reach. 

3 hours ago, WhazUp said:

With GNR, the mindset I go into this band now is, hey they played Dead Horse and Locomotive.  They have recently busted out Slither and SOYL too, and have been playing Coma consistently.  With Slash and Duff.  That is a hell of a lot more than I ever thought we would get from them if you asked me in 2014.  

Can things be better? Of course.  But I am not going to waste time being miserable over "what if's", like maybe I have done with GNR in the past like around the 2013-2014 period.  To me being that miserable over a rock band's choices is a waste of time

I get carried away when it gets to certain subjects but I can't bitch about the setlists right now.. or most of the "reunion" either..  I did think it was pretty weak for a while that the majority of changes were only learning CD songs but now they are adding songs like Slither, Dead Horse, SOYL and Locomotive??? That is mindblowing to me still. All good.. It makes me excited to  think about other classics there is a possibility of them playing. 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Don’t be agesit man, getting fucked up is for people of all ages. 😂

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, KURT19 said:

I saw the who a few weeks ago and Townshend stood onstage after the show, thanked people for coming, mentioned how he knew tickets were expensive and that the cost involved going to a gig doesn’t end with the ticket. He was very appreciative and gracious.

Pearl Jam were mentioned earlier in the thread, I saw them live in 93 and lastly in 2013. There’s no real comparison between them and Guns 92 Vs Guns 2017 when I last saw them. I’m not a huge PJ fan but fucking kudos to them for their setlists. I’ve got some great surprises including covers from them over the years. 

Guns N Roses might be going down the kiss route. Maybe a full AFD 5 full makeup reunion when they have that Microphone/Recorded vocal shit that Paul Stanley uses. Come full circle from pulling the piss outta him to becoming him/them.

Neil Young was a cool old man when I saw him first, and he still is still sounds the same grumpy fuck. 

The Stones were old has beens when I was 12 and Guns were at their peak, at 19 I saw them live and I got what they were. And they’ve still fucking got it and are a raw live band, warts n all. Keith still reeks evil during the sympathy solo... 

U2 were shite the first time I saw them and are still the same kinda shite last time I saw them. 

Sabbath were killer in 99 and the last time in 2017 in dublin.

Maiden were as good 3 months ago as they were in 93. Sound was better in fairness.

Guns have had the absolute worst decline I’ve seen in any band. It’s no longer self sabotage. It’s just self harm. 

Townshend at 74 has more humility and integrity than GnR. And their new album might not be half bad if this is anything to go by:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Creed said:

yeah, money heal wounds...

its that and its disgusting. thats why i lost interest in many pro sports, too.

Bang.

None of this is about the music or the love of playing in front of their fans.

GNR is a brand now.  A product.  It's fucking Starbucks.

It is 1000% about making money and that is IT.  Period.  Done. 

The actual brand they are closest to if you are a watch person is Rolex.  They both have a 'Fuck you.  We don't need your business, you worthless piece of garbage.  If you don't want to buy it don't, there are a million behind you that will.  Have a nice day!  Again, fuck you.' attitude about how they operate.

The difference is that Rolex still is what they always have been.  Incredibly well made, high resale value, still cool and badass, etc. etc. 

I was MORE than OK with Axl treating me like the piece of garbage I am when he was actually 'Axl fucking Rose'.   They came out at 11:30 or midnight, played until 2AM, kicked ass and called it a night.  If anything I liked it.  It was sawdust and sweat and rock and roll and shit.  It's one of the primary reasons I fell in love with this band.  Axl Rose's complete lack of giving a fuck about anything was intoxicating to me.

Now, it's fucking Disneyland.  None of these performances are real.  They sit in separate dressing rooms before the shows with their own people, take the stage together, grab their checks and walk off into separate limos.  

I would bet that Axl and Slash don't say a single word to each other the entire day of any shows.  It's all just a big stage production of again, "Come see Axl, Slash, and Duff play all your childhood GNR favorites!"

Maybe that is fine and good enough for some of you, but it sure as fuck isn't for me.

Edited by Saltzy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1