State of Grace - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

1 minute ago, ryanf23 said:

What I don’t understand, I’ve been a Lerker in the forum for years and I always hear talk of certain people having holy grails they are hoarding to sell. But I never see anyone selling? How do people even buy when no one knows who has what and nothing is being offered up for sale. Is there a deep secret internet web room for gnr stuff?

Essentially, yes. Nothing is done out in public view.

Kinda like that massive nude celeb photo leak years ago with Jennifer Lawrence and a bunch of others. There's a black market for this type of shit that is constantly people trading what they're hoarding to someone else hoarding something different. The only time anything really gets out is when one of these people get screwed over in a trade, and then that person gets pissed off and leaks what they have to plummet the value of shit.

If the storage locker discs didn't get in to so many people's hands so quick, you could bet your ass this stuff likely wouldn't have seen the light of day for a long, long time.

41 minutes ago, Gunner927 said:

Only partially true. The actual full version of the song wasn't on the discs. The instrumental supposedly is under the name 'Prom Violence'.

But yeah, if that is actually in the hands of anyone, I wouldn't expect it to leak anytime soon. That's about the only thing that would still be valuable, since it'd be far less circulated and likely to get out.

Really? I only ask because I heard something that was labeled the general and it sounded a lit like what we heard as a piano intro. Definitely Axl 's voice

Hmm it sounds a bit of a mess to me in some places - especially the chorus in places. The vocals sound like a bit of a scratch track to me, the most demo like of all the songs so far.

Its got potential and sounds quite different to a lot of the stuff that ended up on CD.

I'm surprised by those thinking this is some big departure for Guns.  At its heart, SOG is still rooted in bluesy-rock.  There's some industrial flourishes, particularly that dirty bassline, but as whole, it's still a blues/rock track.  The first four seconds of the intro initially made me think it was going to be a blues song with a country twang. The intro sounds like something one would hear in a western.  

SOG feels like an evolution of the GNR sound, not so much a departure from it.  

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

6 minutes ago, Meanmachine22 said:

Really? I only ask because I heard something that was labeled the general and it sounded a lit like what we heard as a piano intro. Definitely Axl 's voice

That would be fake. There are no snippets of The General circulating. Only a near-inaudible cell phone recording from an after party it was played at in 2010.

2 minutes ago, Gunner927 said:

That would be fake. There are no snippets of The General circulating. Only a near-inaudible cell phone recording from an after party it was played at in 2010.

Did not sound fake to me at all. But what do u know 

Just now, Meanmachine22 said:

Wanted to write: what do I know !!!

22 minutes ago, downzy said:

I'm surprised by those thinking this is some big departure for Guns.  At its heart, SOG is still rooted in bluesy-rock.  There's some industrial flourishes, particularly that dirty bassline, but as whole, it's still a blues/rock track.  The first four seconds of the intro initially made me think it was going to be a blues song with a country twang. The intro sounds like something one would hear in a western.  

SOG feels like an evolution of the GNR sound, not so much a departure from it.  

Could not agree more. This song fits perfectly in the CD canon. It has that traditional GNR underbelly with that modern (especially at the time) progression. 

Does the guitar sound in parts remind anyone else of the cell phone clip of the General? Not insinuating that SOG and the General are one in the same just that they seem to share some common elements.... 

7 minutes ago, 3rd Wheel said:

To me, Axl just sounds kind of whiny in these songs. Especially this one and Perhaps.

Yeah, was just talking about this with @Powerage5.  He likens them to how Axl sang the beginning of Estranged.  I don't really see it that way.  For me there's a difference between the soulful/twangy vocals of Estranged and the teary vocals we get in Perhaps and the first half of SOG.  

I'm not a huge fan of the crying-style vocals.  I find it even worse in Perhaps and a big reason why I can't get into the song like many others.  Every time I listen to Perhaps I imagine Axl in a sad/crying clown costume singing the verses.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Meanmachine22 said:

The General has not leaked. If it leaked, everyone would be talking about it.

What you're referring to is a fan-made version that was recreated using Rockband Stems, and the cellphone recording as a guide. So technically it's Axl's vocals on the track, but they were spliced together to make it seem like he's singing on a new song. Really, they're just individual notes/phrases cut out of other CD songs.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

I really like this song. Just when you think there are no more vocal styles/ voices for Axl to unveil, here comes a new voice. On Perhaps he seems too whiny for me, but with the doomy Zep Dazed n Confused like sound here, it works awesome on this. I think this could be sick live with it being more guitar based than synth... 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The General has not leaked. If it leaked, everyone would be talking about it.

What you're referring to is a fan-made version that was recreated using Rockband Stems, and the cellphone recording as a guide. So technically it's Axl's vocals on the track, but they were spliced together to make it seem like he's singing on a new song. Really, they're just individual notes/phrases cut out of other CD songs.

One can only hope that the person who spent so much time putting that together is finally getting laid

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, History2010 said:

I think part of what makes SOYL 2018 so good for me is the incredible production and mixing job. No other versions of the song do anything for me but the released version is exploding with energy and life thanks to all the work done to it. 

So production can make or break a song in some cases, for sure. 

I agree. The demo can work to give the backbone of a song, but the production of the finished track can make or break a hit for sure.

13 hours ago, DK6 said:

Just realised perhaps has come up as being by The Village People which surprises me also.

PRL = YMCA

2 hours ago, 3rd Wheel said:

To me, Axl just sounds kind of whiny in these songs. Especially this one and Perhaps.

I think its sort of a tabu, but his voice since 2000s had been sort of nasal in comparison to AFD era. All these songs would benefit from AFD rasp in them, but part of the rasp has fizzled out leaving the vocal tracks a bit muffled, making it sound "whiny" especially on vowels.  

His voice changed over the years slightly... but if they really wanna get that AFD wibe, they might research into Artificial intelligence voice rejuvenation for studio recording. 

Edited by username05

2 hours ago, 3rd Wheel said:

I just think this was the style he was singing in at the time. All of these vocals are very similar to everything on CD. He just makes very specific choices with his vocal performances. Ala the quasi Mexican vampire line in Sorry. 

3 hours ago, Gunner927 said:

Only partially true. The actual full version of the song wasn't on the discs. The instrumental supposedly is under the name 'Prom Violence'.

But yeah, if that is actually in the hands of anyone, I wouldn't expect it to leak anytime soon. That's about the only thing that would still be valuable, since it'd be far less circulated and likely to get out.

Prom violence is just an instrumental idea. Some ideas are supposedly used in The General, but it is not comfortable. 

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

State of Grace is cool to hear, but it's nothing more than a (very) rough demo. Scratch vocals, poor mixing... it's interesting because it's unheard and it's stylistically different, but it's like 1 level above Silkworms for me. Now, if there were a proper vocal track, it has a lot of potential to be good....

I entirely agree with your take on this track. There’s potential, but it is a rough demo and only a novelty. All these tracks make me wonder if there are polished versions of these songs.