State of Grace - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

2 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Does anyone else feel like the song ends too soon? Every time I listen when the outro starts I'm expecting some badass solo before another verse maybe or just another chorus ... Definitely needs to be longer! 

Every time I listen I want it to last another 1min to min and a half. It’s just so badass

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

This has to be the song Baz described as "doom metal" ... The rhythm is menacing 

There’s this one song called ‘Sorry’ that’s almost like doom metal with Axl singing really clean over this grinding, slow beat that is fucking mean,” says Bach. “I cannot get it out of my head.”

36 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

This has to be the song Baz described as "doom metal" ... The rhythm is menacing 

That what I was saying earlier. It actually sounds very similar in style to that cell phone recording of The General 

Sorry never sounded like Doom Metal to me

Edited by Arnuld
  • Like 1

State of Grace is definitely a demo.....like a few of the other leaks has fabulous potential for a final mix.  It's a bit of a departure for GNR but makes perfect sense considering the line up and where Axls head was at musically at the time. 

Fact is CD could have been a fucking masterpiece had tracks like scraped, rhiad, shacklers and a few other tracks been swapped out with Atlas. Perhaps, State of Grace and Hard School.  

I really thought the 10 second leak sounded rubbish but now I'm hearing the bridge in context with the rest of the song i love it!

My wife and kids think I've gone mad walking around constantly singing BANANAMANAMANO BANANANANAMANANA MANANANANA in a high pitched voice.

• GNFNR 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Draguns said:

There is interest in new Guns music, BUT with Slash being a part of it. Fact is these are demos by people who are no longer in the band, except for Axl obviously.  It's interesting to hear the demos, but I'm much more interested in hearing how Slash and Duff will make these their own. Ditto with the casual fans and mainstream media. Heck,  Forbes published an article on Friday as to how big a GNR comeback album would be since Tool was recently successful with their new album.

Take this for what it's worth. Enjoy the songs but keep in mind that these are not the finished product.  The finished product will have much more excitement on here and elsewhere. 

Good post.

I think most of the people who were around for the 2000-2010 lineup have kind of checked out with respect to new music.  It was a decade or two ago for many who followed the band back then.  I think a lot of people moved on.  

On 14/09/2019 at 7:37 PM, AlterL said:

did anyone figure out the lyrics

Almost, but there's a section that's virtually impossible to figure out, even for me.

Lyrics (sorry, couldn't figure everything out):

What can I say?

Freeway's blind today

The choice that you made

Is not a road that I would take

To use and betray

Simple as power fray

And I'm far away

With tears that are on its way now

Oh, my love

Can it be, I'm falling from your grace with me

Now

Oh, more than ever

I'll still remember

The fame

It's those passing things

No more like a game

Problems of the human race

Those run through your veins

Caught down in a hidden place

With no sense of shame

Sickens me it can arouse you

Oh, my love

Can it be, I'm falling from your grace with me

Now, more than ever

I'll still remember

Your name

When did you think you would tell me?

I hope you think I could handle it now

I got

I got ?????

???????? 

????????????

Whatever, ever

????????

Oh, ????????

????????

You ????????

My love

Can it be

You've fallen from your grace with me

And now

More than ever

I

I am  ??????????   with leaving

Cause now

More than ever

I still remember

Your name

On 14/09/2019 at 6:37 PM, AlterL said:

did anyone figure out the lyrics

Some parts still not definitively figured out yet so have been left out. 

What can I say
Free will is blind today
The choice that you made
 is a not a road I would take
To use and betray
Simple as a power play
Not far away
With tears that go unexplained now

Oh my love
Can it be
I'm falling from your grace with me now
Oh more than ever
I still remember

They say it's just a passing phase
No more like a game
Problems of the human race
Goes right to your brain
Caught down in a hidden place
With no sense of shame
The secrets there and you can't erase 

Oh my love 
Can it be I'm falling from your grace with me
Now more than ever I still remember your name 

When did you think you would tell me
How long you think I could wait for now I said 
(unintelligible) 

How can it be you've fallen from your grace with me
(unintelligible) 

Oh my love aaaah
I ask myself what I believe in
Cause now more than ever
I still remember your name

Edited by Jw224

you have 

4 minutes ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

I think this is perhaps the only Chinese Democracy era song that actually sounds "industrial". Nice one

you have better, rhiad, silkworms, chinese democracy and OMG that have their obvious industrial roots. 

1 minute ago, Gackt said:

I'd have guessed it's GNR going grunge.  :axl:

true. grunge/stoner rock

Edited by username05

Just now, username05 said:

you have 

you have better, rhiad, silkworms, chinese democracy and OMG that have their obvious industrial roots. 

To me, industrial implies repetitive looping harsh riffs, etc. Silkworms and OMG, I guess, but I think the rest are just overproduced hard rock with orchestral elements or something! The album Chinese Democracy sounds more like Muse than industrial rock/metal (to me).

ut I think this track comes the closest due to the distorted bass and drum loop thing. Someone mentioned Ava Adore by The Smashing Pumpkins and I think that's a good comparison!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

To me, industrial implies repetitive looping harsh riffs, etc. Silkworms and OMG, I guess, but I think the rest are just overproduced hard rock with orchestral elements or something! The album Chinese Democracy sounds more like Muse than industrial rock/metal (to me).

ut I think this track comes the closest due to the distorted bass and drum loop thing. Someone mentioned Ava Adore by The Smashing Pumpkins and I think that's a good comparison!

true that its not industrial, but most Marilyn Manson songs post 99 sound like that, and you'd call him industrial/goth just for legacy reasons. 

thats why I'd rather put CD, better and rhiad in the same sort, rather than with "The Cult" and "Bon Jovi" of that era

Edited by username05

I have heard most of the leaked but and pieces that are available, to me this is the closest to a finished song. Hardschool and Atlas have moments but overall seem a bit confused. State of grace obviously wouldn't go over too well with your classic sound or nothing fan, but nothing will please that person... I think this is a great balance between new and old. 

This should definitely be a track in running for the next album... hopefully!

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

I wonder if this song could have been an early version of "Seven". 

Brain has described Seven like this:

Brain: ITS AN TIMELESS BALLAD WITH A BLOW YOUR FACE OFF CHORUS AND A SUCK YOUR BALL SACK BRIDGE!!!!! [AFD interview, 2010]

http://www.a-4-d.com/t163-qa-with-brain-august-18-2010

Although it's not a ballad in the narrow sense of the term and the rest of the description is vague, it fits in a way.

I think the only other thing we know about Seven, besides the Brain quote, is that Marco Beltrami wrote a guitar part on it in 2002 and said it was his favourite among the songs he had worked on.

Do we know anything about where the title "Seven" comes from? The first thing that comes to mind is the movie, and State of Grace has something of the atmosphere of that movie soundtrack. And the first part with the low vocals gives a little of Bowie vibes and of his song The Heart's Filthy Lesson that was also featured in that movie. It could be just a random title, though.