State of Grace - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

This song is the best vocal from Axl too, the other ones felt like he hadn't quite nailed the phrasing or the melody. Can't stop listening to this, but I am on the outside I'm aware considering I'm on of few that loves Shacklers revenge and If The World. I'd be very happy if this was the direction of the new album, obviously I want it to be a bit more guitar driven in places... but I think Slash would take care of that. I love the overdriven Bass in the verse! It's just the right amount of different. Again! I cannot believe this or whatever it became didn't make it to the record, this could have really lifted CD placed in the right place and swapping out the right song (Riad).

• Like 1

I have the "oh my love can it be, I've fallen from your grace with me" part stuck in my head. 

56 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

This song is the best vocal from Axl too, the other ones felt like he hadn't quite nailed the phrasing or the melody. Can't stop listening to this, but I am on the outside I'm aware considering I'm on of few that loves Shacklers revenge and If The World. I'd be very happy if this was the direction of the new album, obviously I want it to be a bit more guitar driven in places... but I think Slash would take care of that. I love the overdriven Bass in the verse! It's just the right amount of different. Again! I cannot believe this or whatever it became didn't make it to the record, this could have really lifted CD placed in the right place and swapping out the right song (Riad).

I quite like the vocals on this. I've seen a few people saying it's lazy but I think it fits the track. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I have the "oh my love can it be, I've fallen from your grace with me" part stuck in my head. 

I quite like the vocals on this. I've seen a few people saying it's lazy but I think it fits the track. 

Yeah, this song is definitely the easiest of the bunch to like on a first play-thru.

32 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Not a good riff, so lazy and laid back generic, like 1st year of playing guitar, Axl must've wrote it.

Actually, I'm very well convinced this is a Paul Tobias riff.

If you've heard his stuff in Mank Rage, this has got his name written all over it. He loves the double stop.

4 hours ago, username05 said:

you have 

you have better, rhiad, silkworms, chinese democracy and OMG that have their obvious industrial roots. 

Chinese and Riad? I really don't know any industrial song that sound like those two. 

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I have heard most of the leaked but and pieces that are available, to me this is the closest to a finished song. Hardschool and Atlas have moments but overall seem a bit confused.

IMO this song is like 60% finished at best. It's a great song, but it's so clearly (to me) unfinished and sketchy. 

27 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

Actually, I'm very well convinced this is a Paul Tobias riff.

If you've heard his stuff in Mank Rage, this has got his name written all over it. He loves the double stop.

YES! I absolutely can hear similarities with Mank Rage. 

20 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Chinese and Riad? I really don't know any industrial song that sound like those two. 

IMO this song is like 60% finished at best. It's a great song, but it's so clearly (to me) unfinished and sketchy. 

YES! I absolutely can hear similarities with Mank Rage. 

Well yes, it's still demo stages with an unfinished mix, also what I'd consider unfinished vocals.

• Like 1

Ok I finally pinpointed what this reminds me of

I was singing it to myself earlier and "Criminal" by Fiona Apple popped into my head

Then I remembered this Axl quote from November 1999:

http://htgth.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

Loder: What's been knocking you out yourself lately? Is there anything today that you think is better than Jane's Addiction was back in the day?

Rose: I don't know about, like, as far as aggressive goes, but I really like the new Fiona Apple.

Loder: Really?

Rose: You know, I liked the last record, I like the new one. Who do I listen to that's aggressive? I think that the "End Of Days" soundtrack is a lot of fun. Limp Bizkit is fun. The White Zombie stuff is fun.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

I was singing it to myself earlier and "Criminal" by Fiona Apple popped into my head

Yeah, he was talking about the album When The Pawn..., which was released in 1999. I see the similarities with some of Fiona's piano's work in this record. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Nice shout, that whole album has a lot of similarities!

I love this one, too. Its the worst recording of the big leaks, but the song itself is cool as shit. I'd love to have heard Bucket on this with some cool shred guitar. A little solo before the bridge vocals would be cool. For scratch vocals, Axl has some standout singing in the second half of the song. Rasp bridge is badass. I could see Hard School, Atlas, and Perhaps working well for either NuGNR or current GNR, but this would have been great as a finished NuGNR song with more polished guitar and vocals. Cool track, I'd still like to hear it finished with Slash.

Fuck yeah, this and Perhaps rock

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I wonder if this song could have been an early version of "Seven". 

Brain has described Seven like this:

Brain: ITS AN TIMELESS BALLAD WITH A BLOW YOUR FACE OFF CHORUS AND A SUCK YOUR BALL SACK BRIDGE!!!!! [AFD interview, 2010]

http://www.a-4-d.com/t163-qa-with-brain-august-18-2010

Although it's not a ballad in the narrow sense of the term and the rest of the description is vague, it fits in a way.

I think the only other thing we know about Seven, besides the Brain quote, is that Marco Beltrami wrote a guitar part on it in 2002 and said it was his favourite among the songs he had worked on.

Do we know anything about where the title "Seven" comes from? The first thing that comes to mind is the movie, and State of Grace has something of the atmosphere of that movie soundtrack. And the first part with the low vocals gives a little of Bowie vibes and of his song The Heart's Filthy Lesson that was also featured in that movie. It could be just a random title, though.

Brain also said tho that the song has a sample from the movie Seven in it and that’s why it has that name, iirc.

• Thanks 1

After the long IRS like scream, between the 2:30-2:35 mark, where he is coming down a little, his voice synchronizes perfectly with the guitar. I’ve listened to this song in the shower, in the car, forcefully in my wife’s car, etc. I love it, absolutely love it. Especially that bit of the song, before he starts firing on all cylinders in full rasp mode towards the end.

• Like 2

I find this one to be frustrating. It sounds like it has the makings of something special and first time I heard it I thought “oh man, this songs gonna build and build and give me some serious goosebumps/hairs standing on the back of the neck type shit” but then it just kinda fizzles out. I know it’s obviously incomplete, but it’s still a frustrating listen, as after such a promising first two minutes, it doesn’t take me where I feel it needs to go.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I find this one to be frustrating. It sounds like it has the makings of something special and first time I heard it I thought “oh man, this songs gonna build and build and give me some serious goosebumps/hairs standing on the back of the neck type shit” but then it just kinda fizzles out. I know it’s obviously incomplete, but it’s still a frustrating listen, as after such a promising first two minutes, it doesn’t take me where I feel it needs to go.

I think the rasp bridge into the high vocal final chorus was a good payoff. I think more guitar leads and more clear vocals would take this song to the next level. A final version would have delivered, Axl loves adding 100 guitar solos

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I think the rasp bridge into the high vocal final chorus was a good payoff. I think more guitar leads and more clear vocals would take this song to the next level. A final version would have delivered, Axl loves adding 100 guitar solos

Oh definitely. I have no doubt a finished version would deliver the goods. I’m just saying that as it stands, it just doesn’t really go anywhere. Right at the moment where you think you’re gonna get some proper TWAT-esque drama it just sort of goes off the boil, but that’s the nature of a demo I guess.

• Like 1