State of Grace - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

4 hours ago, Lethalis said:

You're missing the point... Axl wants to make this kind of music. It's very NiN / Marilyn Manson like.

And in this case I like the instrumentals very much. Nothing wrong with it!

It's just not Guns N Roses... it's something else. But great nonetheless.

Axl needs someone like John 5 instead of Slash for this lol. Or bring back the bucket.

I agreed!! and some Bowie too.

Nice song.

Axl Rose fans will love a Axl album. I will love it.

1 hour ago, there is no dana only zool said:

My “reaction” to the song (I like it) is kinda the same as the first time I heard Danzig’s fifth album (pretty much all industrial sounding).  I was used to the band sounding one way and then all of a sudden it’s like, “whoa... this is way different.”  

Yes! Danzig V was a different beast, but I dig it! I would love an album of Perhaps and State of Grace.

I've never understood why people judge songs (especially songs not officially released) based on how well it's recorded instead of the ideas and concepts that drive the song.  

Many of the greatest songs ever recorded back in the 50s, 60s, and 70s sound like shit by today's standards.  But the ideas behind the beats, rhythms, and melodies are what make them iconic.  Not saying SOG is iconic, but I think people need to get past the recording quality and listen to it for the sonic ideas being put down, however rough they may be.

Think of it this way: would you rather listen to the rough demo November Rain or the polished version of Rhiad?  

To say that this song is slightly better than Silkworms because it's a rough demo is kind of mind boggling to me.

3 hours ago, Richardparkerjr said:

Anyone who pretends this is finished or good is lying to themselves

Who here is saying that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, downzy said:

I've never understood why people judge songs based on how well it's recorded instead of the ideas and concepts that drive the song.  

Many of the greatest songs ever recorded back in the 50s, 60s, and 70s sound like shit by today's standards.  But the ideas behind the beats, rhythms, and melodies are what make them iconic.  Not saying SOG is iconic, but I think people need to get past the recording quality and listen to it for the sonic ideas being put down, however they may be.

Think of it this way: would you rather listen to the rough demo November Rain or the polished version of Rhiad?  

To say that this song is slightly better than Silkworms because it's a rough demo is kind of mind boggling to me.

It sounds like a cool idea; an incomplete track that has potential to be good, but in the state we heard it, it's nothing special. Sort of generic late '90s alt rock. It's not a bad building block, but I think it stands out more for how stylistically different it is compared to the other leaks, rather than how good it is.

Get a proper vocal track and let Buckethead loose on that song and it could've turned into something really good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It sounds like a cool idea; an incomplete track that has potential to be good, but in the state we heard it, it's nothing special

But the idea is the song, or at least how I'm evaluating these things.  

They could spend an eternity on Silkworms and it would still be terrible unless they wrote a completely different song.  Production doesn't turn a shit song into a good one.  A good to great song can still shine through a rough exterior.  

This song just needs a bit more production and maybe a guitar solo (though I kind of like the lack of one).  There's no filler here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, downzy said:

But the idea is the song, or at least how I'm evaluating these things.  

They could spend an eternity on Silkworms and it would still be terrible unless they wrote a completely different song.  Production doesn't turn a shit song into a good one.  A good to great song can still shine through a rough exterior.  

This song just needs a bit more production and maybe a guitar solo (though I kind of like the lack of one).  There's no filler here.

You used the November Rain demo in an earlier example and it seems to fit here too: there's a good song foundation in the November Rain demo, but it's nowhere near as good as the final product. That was another case where the demo was a good building block but it needed more work. State Of Grace is fine as a demo but doesn't stand out in any real way other than novelty, IMO.

Let Buckethead spend some time with that track and have Axl re-work some of the vocal melodies, and it could've been much better.