State of Grace - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Demos are supposed to be a demonstration of the song. Not to be judged as final product. It gives an idea of what you have and what to work on. I hope people understand this before comparing to official releases. Some demos are more flushed out than others. Some get used as actual takes. 

I think everything that has come out needs a good mix at the very least and some needs more. Im guessing the stuff that was close to release at that time is more flushed out, while stuff considered to be on later albums wasn't as much and needs more work. Also remind people this was around the year 2000. It probably changed considerably since then as they were still in the studio for a few more years. 

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

State Of Grace is fine as a demo but doesn't stand out in any real way other than novelty

This is where we disagree.  I don't hear novelty in this song just like I didn't hear novelty in the November Rain demo.  I heard a solid concept or idea for a song that had an identity all to itself.  It's not a generic song, it has a uniqueness to it that makes it easily memorable and enjoyable.  The first or second time I heard Better in demo form it immediately grabbed me because the concept and ideas behind it were distinct.  I think the same applies to SOG.

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Let Buckethead spend some time with that track and have Axl re-work some of the vocal melodies, and it could've been much better

A Buckethead solo wouldn't make or break the song.  It would be like adding a spoiler to an already fast car.  Plus the song is purely drum and bass-driven.  Not really sure other than adding a solo would do much.  

I do agree that the song needs re-recorded vocals, but I wouldn't change the melodies.  Just a better vocal recoding track, at least for the first half.  Second half I would leave as is.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, downzy said:

This is where we disagree.  I don't hear novelty in this song just like I didn't hear novelty in the November Rain demo.  I heard a solid concept or idea for a song that had an identity all to itself.  It's not a generic song, it has a uniqueness to it that makes it easily memorable and enjoyable.  The first or second time I heard Better in demo form it immediately grabbed me because the concept and ideas behind it were distinct.  I think the same applies to SOG.

A Buckethead solo wouldn't make or break the song.  It would be like adding a spoiler to an already fast car.  Plus the song is purely drum and bass-driven.  Not really sure other than adding a solo would do much.  

I do agree that the song needs re-recorded vocals, but I wouldn't change the melodies.  Just a better vocal recoding track, at least for the first half.  Second half I would leave as is.  

I couldn't disagree more, but to each their own. :shrugs:

I can practically hear the black eyeliner, chain wallet and studded belt in the first half. The title of this song could honestly be "Marilyn Reznor". The last chorus/scream is solid though.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

8 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Fantastic. New album's going to be fucking incredible.

Agreed. I think it will be a progression in overall sound and technique. Everyone in the band has become a better musician over time. Especially Slash. The way he plays live now is just superb. I cannot wait to finally here him on GNR material again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chester said:

State of Grace and Atlas are the two best songs to come out of these leaks, don't know why people seem to be down on them compared to some of the other shit. 

I think all four are just so fucking unique

HS-straight ahead rocker with a crazy intro into that familiar cadence that we have been hearing since 2006. Bizarre Coda in the middle leading into that wacky bucket outro

Atlas-Almost poppy. Great drum sound throughout. Like if GNR had a baby with The Who and Pearl Jam. Great Melody. 

State of Grace- Fucking weird in the best possible way. So industrial. Almost wondered if Bach got this and Sorry confused because this song has a mean grinding underbelly. Maybe one of the best Axl screams ever that I wish I had gone on for a full minute. 

Perhaps- Amazing piano. Crazy good melody. That Brian May guitar tone....Fuck. The coda into that piano section. 

Axl is a musical genius. People outside of us super fans do not acknowledge this enough. 

Chuck Klosterman is right. Axl makes the best songs. They sound the way I want songs to sound. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downzy said:

But the idea is the song, or at least how I'm evaluating these things.  

They could spend an eternity on Silkworms and it would still be terrible unless they wrote a completely different song.  Production doesn't turn a shit song into a good one.  A good to great song can still shine through a rough exterior.  

This song just needs a bit more production and maybe a guitar solo (though I kind of like the lack of one).  There's no filler here.

I disagree about quality production has the ability to make a crap song good. Just check out some of the fan made cd mixes. I heard one done on Scrapped and it actually made the song listenable 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

I think all four are just so fucking unique

HS-straight ahead rocker with a crazy intro into that familiar cadence that we have been hearing since 2006. Bizarre Coda in the middle leading into that wacky bucket outro

Atlas-Almost poppy. Great drum sound throughout. Like if GNR had a baby with The Who and Pearl Jam. Great Melody. 

State of Grace- Fucking weird in the best possible way. So industrial. Almost wondered if Bach got this and Sorry confused because this song has a mean grinding underbelly. Maybe one of the best Axl screams ever that I wish I had gone on for a full minute. 

Perhaps- Amazing piano. Crazy good melody. That Brian May guitar tone....Fuck. The coda into that piano section. 

Axl is a musical genius. People outside of us super fans do not acknowledge this enough. 

Chuck Klosterman is right. Axl makes the best songs. They sound the way I want songs to sound. 

Really makes you wonder what was going through the labels head when Axl gave them the finished version of 2000 Intentions.

How would any person in their right mind want to release 2008 CD over this album...really mind boggling 😵

Now imagine if the label lets this album fly. How different is the history of GnR if this album is released? Axl leads the way for GnR and shows his genius? Who knows...

1 minute ago, Stoymatic said:

I heard one done on Scrapped and it actually made the song listenable

That's quite the claim.  

I guess it depends on how one evaluate's a song/music.  For me it's all about making something identifiable and unique.  A lot is predicated on the melody.  Scrapped doesn't have the strongest of melodies for me so I'm not sure how a remix would fix that.  

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

That's quite the claim.  

I guess it depends on how one evaluate's a song/music.  For me it's all about making something identifiable and unique.  A lot is predicated on the melody.  Scrapped doesn't have the strongest of melodies for me so I'm not sure how a remix would fix that.  

Got ya. That makes sense, like verse course verse course? 

I think some of the stuff Axl has written has been inspired by music that always doesn’t fit that mold. Some queen songs, some Elton John songs, etc. don’t always fit that as well.

7 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

I disagree about quality production has the ability to make a crap song good. Just check out some of the fan made cd mixes. I heard one done on Scrapped and it actually made the song listenable 

I think part of what makes SOYL 2018 so good for me is the incredible production and mixing job. No other versions of the song do anything for me but the released version is exploding with energy and life thanks to all the work done to it. 

So production can make or break a song in some cases, for sure. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, History2010 said:

I think part of what makes SOYL 2018 so good for me is the incredible production and mixing job. No other versions of the song do anything for me but the released version is exploding with energy and life thanks to all the work done to it. 

So production can make or break a song in some cases, for sure. 

Feel the same about that song. 

When I first played it my wife (who’s not a big gnr fan) was with me and she said “wait, I’ve heard this song before but it sounds so much better now. Why?” And I explained that it’s been “fixed” in production

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

Really makes you wonder what was going through the labels head when Axl gave them the finished version of 2000 Intentions.

How would any person in their right mind want to release 2008 CD over this album...really mind boggling 😵

Now imagine if the label lets this album fly. How different is the history of GnR if this album is released? Axl leads the way for GnR and shows his genius? Who knows...

I think what was going through the labels head is this must have Slash to sell. Which in the late 90s early 2000s just wasn’t true. GNR was such a strong brand name. I still think they should have just let the man realize his vision. We shouldn’t be just hearing discussing these song in 2019. Like CD these songs are fantastic.  

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

State of Grace is one of my favorite GN'R songs all time. Can't get over how much I like it. 

I’m with you. I listened to it before Perhaps because I was sure I was going to like Perhaps better. And I actually think I like State of Grace more. It’s just so unique. 

26 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

Got ya. That makes sense, like verse course verse course? 

I think some of the stuff Axl has written has been inspired by music that always doesn’t fit that mold. Some queen songs, some Elton John songs, etc. don’t always fit that as well

Not so much as how a song is structured in terms of verse and course, but the melody that drives the song.  You know the phrase "this song writes itself?"  

Take a song like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road or Somebody Saved My Life Tonight by Elton John.  Both songs have insanely brilliant chord progressions, but it's the melodies Elton wrote overtop of those progressions (along with Taupin's lyrics) that are what make those songs classics.  Otherwise they are very simple from a rhythm standpoint.  Most of the instrumentals in those songs are almost irrelevant as to why they capture our attention.  It's why a great song can be covered in many different styles.  It's why Knockin' On Heaven's Door works as a sombre ballad but also as a rock anthem (didn't hurt that  Axl tweaked the chorus melody a bit in GNR's cover).  

I think SOG has a great chorus melody and a decent groove through the verses that it could work in a variety of different arrangements.  That's why it works for me.

• Like 1