Perhaps - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

37 minutes ago, DeadHorseinaComa said:

Could it be that the "chopped" solo Brian May was talking about in an interview is the one in Perhaps? 

It doesn't sound really melodically cohesive to me, and listening to the leak it may have been a little tinkered with.

I wouldn’t be surprised if all 3 of Mays solos were chopped up by Axl and Caram. 

18 hours ago, The Glow Inc. said:

Why would anyone in his right mind choose to include If The World and Scraped over Perhaps and Hard School on Chinese Democracy and let these songs rot for eleven years on a hard drive ? Mind boggling...

It truly is mind boggling. I just don’t get it at all. Especially with regards to Hard School. That could have been an actual hit for the album. 

26 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

That second "hey" he does where he holds it out is now one of my all-time favorite vocals from Axl the way he sings that sends chills all through my body

It's a classic Axl trademark, he did that kind of thing all the time on the UYI tour ("hey, hey, hey-hey yea" on KOHD came to mind instantly, the ad-libs on Nov Rain, etc.)

This song is definitely a 'bridge' between UYI II and CD, IMO. There's enough classic elements in there that it sounds something Axl would've worked on regardless of whether the UYI line-up stayed together. It sounds like a proper GNR progression, instead of Axl trying to progress the GNR sound, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's a classic Axl trademark, he did that kind of thing all the time on the UYI tour ("hey, hey, hey-hey yea" on KOHD came to mind instantly, the ad-libs on Nov Rain, etc.)

This song is definitely a 'bridge' between UYI II and CD, IMO. There's enough classic elements in there that it sounds something Axl would've worked on regardless of whether the UYI line-up stayed together. It sounds like a proper GNR progression, instead of Axl trying to progress the GNR sound, if that makes sense.

Agree 100% ... I always felt the same about SOD & Prostitute 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeadHorseinaComa said:

Could it be that the "chopped" solo Brian May was talking about in an interview is the one in Perhaps? 

It doesn't sound really melodically cohesive to me, and listening to the leak it may have been a little tinkered with.

Its not Brian May, it's Robin Finck playing it. But I have no clue what you're talking about. Its melody is perfectly fine to me, maybe you just cant hear it properly because of the mix?

4 hours ago, DTV88 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if all 3 of Mays solos were chopped up by Axl and Caram. 

I'm sure they were. And that's not a problem IMO. 

3 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

It truly is mind boggling. I just don’t get it at all. Especially with regards to Hard School. That could have been an actual hit for the album. 

Axl couldn’t put all his goodies on one album. His plan as per his grand opus was to have additional albums forthcoming. I believe these tracks were waiting in the interim until the dust settled. 

44 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

Axl couldn’t put all his goodies on one album. His plan as per his grand opus was to have additional albums forthcoming. I believe these tracks were waiting in the interim until the dust settled. 

You’re probably correct. I forgot Axl was some what adamant about a second release. Chinese should have been a double album. There appeared to be enough material. 

• Like 1

"My sense of rejection / is no excuse for my behaviour"

I have to tip my hat to Ax there. A very self-reflective line from someone with a history of temper tantrums.

Instead of being a victim (Maddy, The Blues), he's admitting guilt, or at least turmoil ("I've been so upset").

They really should play this song live. If anything, it shows he's matured a bit somewhere down the line.

“My sense of rejection, is no excuse for my behavior”. A very honest and introspective self reflection for Axl. Was he ready to reunite in 99? I think so. Imagine if Axl would’ve released that trilogy with nu guns between 99 and 03, then reunited with original guns in 06 when he was hossing it so hard at Hammerstein? Wow

• Like 3

10 hours ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

“My sense of rejection, is no excuse for my behavior”. A very honest and introspective self reflection for Axl. Was he ready to reunite in 99? I think so. Imagine if Axl would’ve released that trilogy with nu guns between 99 and 03, then reunited with original guns in 06 when he was hossing it so hard at Hammerstein? Wow

The fact we didn't get a reunion in 2006 or even 2010 when Axl's voice was sounding absolutely phenomenal is a damn shame. At least he sounded pretty solid in 2016.

22 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

The fact we didn't get a reunion in 2006 or even 2010 when Axl's voice was sounding absolutely phenomenal is a damn shame. At least he sounded pretty solid in 2016.

He sounded absolutely phenomenal in 2016 as well. But it was with AC/DC. An incentive to prepare by rehearsing beforehand was probably to not embarrass himself and/or impress Angus. I think Axl is also preserving his voice by not always going for it with Guns but that's just speculation.

1 hour ago, Underhardy said:

Us GNR and Axl fans are all probably big fan of Axls... we’ll.. Axlisms... I’m not sure the General public would like the “haaay haaays.” It worked on KOHD, but this was a bit excessive for a single type song. 

Tbh most non-GNR fans I know don’t even like the “hay hays” on KOHD. Even still, I think the ones on this song work better even if there are a lot more

39 minutes ago, slash23579 said:

Tbh most non-GNR fans I know don’t even like the “hay hays” on KOHD. Even still, I think the ones on this song work better even if there are a lot more

Disagree with you both. I think people loved the "hey hey yeah" on KOHD because it made it so uniquely Axl and GNR.

And I looooove the "hey haaaaaay" on "Perhaps."

"My sense of rejection (hey, heeeeeey) is no excuse for my behavior (uuuughhaaaaaa)."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

Disagree with you both. I think people loved the "hey hey yeah" on KOHD because it made it so uniquely Axl and GNR.

And I looooove the "hey haaaaaay" on "Perhaps."

"My sense of rejection (hey, heeeeeey) is no excuse for my behavior (uuuughhaaaaaa)."

Oh no trust me I love all the Hay Hay’s Axl does especially on these two songs. Just my personal experience with non GNR fans has been they didn’t like how it was done on KOHD (for example, my moms least favorite GNR song is KOHD simply because of the hay hay yeah part, and I’ve gotten a similar reaction from a bunch of other non GNR fans as well). I haven’t shown Perhaps to any non GNR fans so I can’t say from personal experience how that would go down, but I think the hay hay’s on Perhaps fit the song really well and the general public would like them as well which is what the poster before me said they wouldn’t.

• Like 1

I'm starting to wonder if the line "you pulled the gun that shot and crucified my savior" might not be so literal as to mean Mark David Chapman shooting Lennon. And maybe the savior in this case was the band in the sense that their success gave him a feeling of security and family, saving him from a lonely existence. And "pulled the gun" is referring to breaking up the band, leaving Axl "all alone, like I was before".

I mean I know CITR is about Lennon, but have we really ever heard Axl talk about Lennon in these terms before? I mean we've heard him talk about Phil Lynott and Elton way more then Lennon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

I'm starting to wonder if the line "you pulled the gun that shot and crucified my savior" might not be so literal as to mean Mark David Chapman shooting Lennon. And maybe the savior in this case was the band in the sense that their success gave him a feeling of security and family, saving him from a lonely existence. And "pulled the gun" is referring to breaking up the band, leaving Axl "all alone, like I was before".

I mean I know CITR is about Lennon, but have we really ever heard Axl talk about Lennon in these terms before? I mean we've heard him talk about Phil Lynott and Elton way more then Lennon.

I completely agree with you.

14 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Yea I've thought since I first heard it that the Lennon/Chapman thing was a stretch, and that the line about the gun was more metaphorical than literal. Nothing else in the song points to it being about Lennon unless you're really trying to read the lyrics that way, IMO.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...