rocknroll41

Perhaps - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

3 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

It truly is mind boggling. I just don’t get it at all. Especially with regards to Hard School. That could have been an actual hit for the album. 

Axl couldn’t put all his goodies on one album. His plan as per his grand opus was to have additional albums forthcoming. I believe these tracks were waiting in the interim until the dust settled. 

Out of all the recent leaks, this one clearly had/has the most potential to be a single/hit.  Best one out of the bunch, imo.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

Axl couldn’t put all his goodies on one album. His plan as per his grand opus was to have additional albums forthcoming. I believe these tracks were waiting in the interim until the dust settled. 

You’re probably correct. I forgot Axl was some what adamant about a second release. Chinese should have been a double album. There appeared to be enough material. 

"My sense of rejection / is no excuse for my behaviour"

I have to tip my hat to Ax there. A very self-reflective line from someone with a history of temper tantrums.

Instead of being a victim (Maddy, The Blues), he's admitting guilt, or at least turmoil ("I've been so upset").

They really should play this song live. If anything, it shows he's matured a bit somewhere down the line.

Am I the only one who when they hears "perhaps I was wrong " immediately thinks his musical direction in regards to his disagreements with slash ?  

• Haha 1

“My sense of rejection, is no excuse for my behavior”. A very honest and introspective self reflection for Axl. Was he ready to reunite in 99? I think so. Imagine if Axl would’ve released that trilogy with nu guns between 99 and 03, then reunited with original guns in 06 when he was hossing it so hard at Hammerstein? Wow

• Like 2

10 hours ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

“My sense of rejection, is no excuse for my behavior”. A very honest and introspective self reflection for Axl. Was he ready to reunite in 99? I think so. Imagine if Axl would’ve released that trilogy with nu guns between 99 and 03, then reunited with original guns in 06 when he was hossing it so hard at Hammerstein? Wow

The fact we didn't get a reunion in 2006 or even 2010 when Axl's voice was sounding absolutely phenomenal is a damn shame. At least he sounded pretty solid in 2016.

22 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

The fact we didn't get a reunion in 2006 or even 2010 when Axl's voice was sounding absolutely phenomenal is a damn shame. At least he sounded pretty solid in 2016.

He sounded absolutely phenomenal in 2016 as well. But it was with AC/DC. An incentive to prepare by rehearsing beforehand was probably to not embarrass himself and/or impress Angus. I think Axl is also preserving his voice by not always going for it with Guns but that's just speculation.

Us GNR and Axl fans are all probably big fan of Axls... we’ll.. Axlisms... I’m not sure the General public would like the “haaay haaays.” It worked on KOHD, but this was a bit excessive for a single type song. 

1 hour ago, Underhardy said:

Us GNR and Axl fans are all probably big fan of Axls... we’ll.. Axlisms... I’m not sure the General public would like the “haaay haaays.” It worked on KOHD, but this was a bit excessive for a single type song. 

Tbh most non-GNR fans I know don’t even like the “hay hays” on KOHD. Even still, I think the ones on this song work better even if there are a lot more

39 minutes ago, slash23579 said:

Tbh most non-GNR fans I know don’t even like the “hay hays” on KOHD. Even still, I think the ones on this song work better even if there are a lot more

Disagree with you both. I think people loved the "hey hey yeah" on KOHD because it made it so uniquely Axl and GNR.

And I looooove the "hey haaaaaay" on "Perhaps."

"My sense of rejection (hey, heeeeeey) is no excuse for my behavior (uuuughhaaaaaa)."

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

Disagree with you both. I think people loved the "hey hey yeah" on KOHD because it made it so uniquely Axl and GNR.

And I looooove the "hey haaaaaay" on "Perhaps."

"My sense of rejection (hey, heeeeeey) is no excuse for my behavior (uuuughhaaaaaa)."

Oh no trust me I love all the Hay Hay’s Axl does especially on these two songs. Just my personal experience with non GNR fans has been they didn’t like how it was done on KOHD (for example, my moms least favorite GNR song is KOHD simply because of the hay hay yeah part, and I’ve gotten a similar reaction from a bunch of other non GNR fans as well). I haven’t shown Perhaps to any non GNR fans so I can’t say from personal experience how that would go down, but I think the hay hay’s on Perhaps fit the song really well and the general public would like them as well which is what the poster before me said they wouldn’t.

• Like 1

I'm starting to wonder if the line "you pulled the gun that shot and crucified my savior" might not be so literal as to mean Mark David Chapman shooting Lennon. And maybe the savior in this case was the band in the sense that their success gave him a feeling of security and family, saving him from a lonely existence. And "pulled the gun" is referring to breaking up the band, leaving Axl "all alone, like I was before".

I mean I know CITR is about Lennon, but have we really ever heard Axl talk about Lennon in these terms before? I mean we've heard him talk about Phil Lynott and Elton way more then Lennon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

I'm starting to wonder if the line "you pulled the gun that shot and crucified my savior" might not be so literal as to mean Mark David Chapman shooting Lennon. And maybe the savior in this case was the band in the sense that their success gave him a feeling of security and family, saving him from a lonely existence. And "pulled the gun" is referring to breaking up the band, leaving Axl "all alone, like I was before".

I mean I know CITR is about Lennon, but have we really ever heard Axl talk about Lennon in these terms before? I mean we've heard him talk about Phil Lynott and Elton way more then Lennon.

I completely agree with you.

14 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Yea I've thought since I first heard it that the Lennon/Chapman thing was a stretch, and that the line about the gun was more metaphorical than literal. Nothing else in the song points to it being about Lennon unless you're really trying to read the lyrics that way, IMO.

• Like 1

Too bad we don't know what the lyrics are to the chorus. I've seen all the guesses but they just don't seem right to me. I'm not hearing the first 2 lines clear enough to make a stab at them. But I'm sure they would shed some more light on the subject matter.