Brian May and Perhaps

Rose explained the decision to keep Brian's track off the album by saying, "There's a few reasons, and none of them all that big and definitely not in spite or to slight anyone. First off, obviously I knew people liked the song, but the Brian appreciation really only showed up in force publicly after we had moved on in GUNS. In fact, not many seemed to care and most comments were aimed at why Slash, in their opinions, should be here. Brian's solo itself is a personal fave of mine and I really couldn't understand, as he's such a rock legend, why it wasn't openly appreciated more at the time. In actuality, all that feel and emotion referred to now had a lot to do with Sean [Beavan, one of the producers who worked on 'Chinese Democracy'] and I and the parts I chose out of Brian's different runs, versions, practice runs, etc., to make sure we had those elements in one version. It's entirely constructed from edits based around one specific note Brian hit in a throwaway take. And though Brian seems to have warmed a bit to it, at least publicly, he was unfortunately none too pleased at the time with our handiwork. I remember looking at Brian standing to my left and him staring at the big studio speakers a bit aghast saying, 'But that's not what I played.' Sean Beavan and I were not in any way trying to mess with Brian, we just did what we do and then try and do our best to stand up for our decisions."

I really find this quote absolutely fascinating because a) Axl attentively reading what a some tens of hardcore fans on the boards think about Catcher over a long period and that being a major factor in him taking the Brian solo off the final version despite HIM loving it and b) that strongly suggests he's reading every word of what we're saying about the current leaks. Can only hope he's at least happy with the 90% super positive response. Even at GNFNR where they hardcore roast him and TB they're enjoying the tracks. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

I really find this quote absolutely fascinating because a) Axl attentively reading what a some tens of hardcore fans on the boards think about Catcher over a long period and that being a major factor in him taking the Brian solo off the final version despite HIM loving it and b) that strongly suggests he's reading every word of what we're saying about the current leaks. Can only hope he's at least happy with the 90% super positive response. Even at GNFNR where they hardcore roast him and TB they're enjoying the tracks. 

Anyone have that photo of Axl sat behind a computer with his bandana on? Think it was from 2011, can't find it right now.