“As It Began” Full Leak Discussion **NO LINKS, 7 DAY SUSPENSION FOR ASKING/HINTING FOR LINKS **

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

whales/dolphin noises are Axl's cowbell. I think this piano idea has a lot of potential. Nothing as promising or classic sounding has leaked imo. I can already picture UYI guitar work on it spliced by Axl from 50 Slash takes. But maybe he already worked on this instrumental and at least came up with a vocal melody who knows.

Listening to all the leaks I think Axl could have released a sprawling 2 disc album and what we ultimately got was 1 cd with probably less than half of what Axl had cause he talked about a trilogy at some point early in the 2000's.

It seems like Axl had every intention on releasing no less than two albums worth of material; can't say if it was supposed to all come at once similar to Illusions or have a year separating the two, but with how many songs the band put together even in just 1999/2000, that was definitely their goal.

2 hours ago, oneway23 said:

All credit to Axl for the pretty piano melody, if it is him, but, this sounds like a parody that a semi-decent pianist could do in Garageband.  Are we sure this is him?  The Whale sounds are a little too on the nose. 

well it's not about technical skill really. It's hard rock. Axl comes up with distinctive piano melodies with structure. A composer. It's obviously Axl. He has a very recognizable playing style. This I Love piano lines sound more like a parody imo (I like it though)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rovim said:

well it's not about technical skill really. It's hard rock. Axl comes up with distinctive piano melodies with structure. A composer. It's obviously Axl. He has a very recognizable playing style. This I Love piano lines sound more like a parody imo (I like it though)

Whale noises, brah.  whale noises...come on

The higher ups actually were not wrong. From 95’ to 99’ Axl didn’t have it. The music was not there. I’m actually quite surprised. I really thought he was sitting on some amazing material that he didn’t want to let go of but reality was he seemed to be all over the place and was forcing what little he had into pieces that just wasn’t good. I’d say Chinese Democracy had four songs that were terrible and another four that were epic and the rest were meh. From all of these unreleased songs, none so far have even been decent, maybe with the exception of the Axl/Tommy tune but even that is sub par as a whole. 

• Haha 1

On 9/17/2019 at 4:07 PM, TOXIE said:

Funny story related to this video: six years ago, I released my first EP and got torn a new one on here and other forums cause of how bad my voice was. Then I was chatting with someone on here (back when this forum used to have a chat room) and expressing my frustrations, and the guy I was chatting with told me that there once was an old forum user* who also got made fun of for having a bad singing voice but they kept practicing and eventually got to a point where they collaborated with Fortus (he even showed me this very same video), and told me not to give up. I had totally forgotten the name of this artist, so thanks for posting this on here!

*side note: I can’t remember exactly if I was told this singer used to be a forum member or not, but I’m pretty sure that’s what I heard. Does anyone know if that’s really the case? Or what this guy’s username even was?

Edited by rocknroll41

On 17/09/2019 at 5:00 PM, Download said:

The higher ups actually were not wrong. From 95’ to 99’ Axl didn’t have it. The music was not there. I’m actually quite surprised. I really thought he was sitting on some amazing material that he didn’t want to let go of but reality was he seemed to be all over the place and was forcing what little he had into pieces that just wasn’t good. I’d say Chinese Democracy had four songs that were terrible and another four that were epic and the rest were meh. From all of these unreleased songs, none so far have even been decent, maybe with the exception of the Axl/Tommy tune but even that is sub par as a whole. 

He didn't have a band most of the time in that period. Slash left in 96, duff ODd in 97. Duff at some point reported they had 1200 h worth of recording back then.(probably locked in some vault).

Matt and Axl found Robin and Tommy at about 97. Took a while for the chemistry to set in. After that Matt was sacked, so you have no drummer till 99...

So even had he had the songs, half of the time he didn't have people to play them. Axl was even said back then to playing the guitar on his own for lack of a guitarist. (Rir3 madagascar)

You can see the explosion in quality and number of songs in 2000 when the lineup got fixed. 

To bad bucket left in 2004, because by that time the band had chemistry and  everyone had learned his role. 2003-04 material if exists must have been the best the new band had to offer. I doubt many new songs were made until ashba joined. He seemed to be eager to pitch in, and I doubt bumble was as ambitious and as influential.

Edited by username05
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, username05 said:

He didn't have a band most of the time in that period. Slash left in 96, duff ODd in 97. Duff at some point reported they had 1200 h worth of recording back then.(probably locked in some vault).

Matt and Axl found Robin and Tommy at about 97. Took a while for the chemistry to set in. After that Matt was sacked, so you have no drummer till 99...

So even had he had the songs, half of the time he didn't have people to play them. Axl was even said back then to playing the guitar on his own for lack of a guitarist. (Rir3 madagascar)

You can see the explosion in quality and number of songs in 2000 when the lineup got fixed. 

To bad bucket left in 2004, because by that time the band had chemistry and  everyone had learned his role. 2003-04 material if exists must have been the best the new band had to offer. I doubt many new songs were made until ashba joined. He seemed to be eager to pitch in, and I doubt bumble was as ambitious and as influential.

Freese joined 1997 and he introduced Tommy

6 hours ago, username05 said:

Yeah, I kinda walked this statement back a little bit in another thread :) 

i maintain that the overall Chinese era material doesn’t stand the test of time or really compares to the body of work created by Axl, Slash, Duff, & Izzy from 85’-91’ ( not discrediting Popcorn as a contributor or West for the matter, but I prefer UYI’s over AFD and Steven, to my knowledge never sat & wrote arrangements with the band.)

I actually do like Perhaps, State of Grace, and Eye on You but nothing from the Chinese era approaches Estranged, Breakdown, November Rain and I probably psyched myself up waiting on it.  I think it’s obvious that Axl needed Slash as much as Slash needed Axl to push each other and get the best out of each other and the band needed that “ band collaboration” which I think Axl was well aware of that and tried his best with what musicians he had and were capable at the time. TWAT and Prostitute come close, maybe throw This I love in the mix as well but Axl needs Slash. 

That all being said, I loved Robin and Buckets work on Chinese. 

Edited by Download