Why does no-one ever talk about what a great song Right Next Door To Hell is?

I never seek it out but and I don't consider it one of their best songs but it is still good.. Just like every other song they released in those days.  There is something about a lot of the rockers on the illusions that just seems like the are missing something. They feel a little thin or weak compared to the rockers on Appetite and LIES. Not really sure what it is.. Most likely the mixing I guess.. Izzy too low in the mix.. I always felt that "You Could Me Mine" was able to capture the heaviness and balls of Appetite... I wish all the rockers did..

RNDTH is pretty low on my overall list of Gn'R song rankings but it is still a pretty good tune.  If it comes on my shuffle I will still crank it and sing a long the best I can.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

There is something about a lot of the rockers on the illusions that just seems like the are missing something. They feel a little thin or weak compared to the rockers on Appetite and LIES. Not really sure what it is.. Most likely the mixing I guess.. Izzy too low in the mix.. I always felt that "You Could Me Mine" was able to capture the heaviness and balls of Appetite... I wish all the rockers did..

Always felt the same about this. I’ve never been able to quite put a finger on it, but I’ve also suspected it’s the lack of Izzy. Love the UYIs, just in a different way from AfD. YCBM was as close as they got to recapturing the lightning in the bottle.

• Like 1

Very good song IMHO. Definitely special too b/c many us remember coming straight home from the record store in September ‘91 throwing UYI I in the CD player, hitting “play” and hearing that thundering bass. Was pretty much the start of listening to the Illusions for the next 2-3 years straight. Practically have them memorized. Lol.

Also, have always loved the “...your arms get shorter, your pockets get deeper.” 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Towelie said:

Evolved beyond the stuff that made the whole world fall in love with them in the first place?

In a way, yes I think so. The best parts of the Illusions does not sound like Appetite for Destruction at all, and the parts that try to pale in comparison. 

I listened to the song again while writing this and it did nothing for me. Sure, the bassline is cool, but that's about it for me. When Dust and Bones start (which is a kick-ass song), I have already forgotten it. 

Easily one of my favourite UYI tracks. They took everything that was great about AFD’s rockers, then pumped it full of steroids and stadium rock, and out came Right Next Door To Hell. 

Yes, it sounds like a recycled Izzy Brownstone riff, but it’s so gloriously sleazy guitar riffing, complete with Slash sliding his guitar pick down the strings for extra tasty guitar to drool over. And that deliciously short but tasty guitar solo...

Duff has a cool as fuck bass line intro, followed by Matt announcing to the world that HE was their new drummer, and then Axl with his....

“Fuck yooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu.....! (Bitch)”

How can you not love it?

Edited by metallex78
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I like the intro, it sounds menacing and cool. Until  Slash ruins it sliding his guitar pick down the neck.  I think that's what he's doing....I'm not a guitar player so just guessing. 

That’s one of my favourite parts. That is so awesome, and a great way to lead into the main riff!

• Like 1