The Leak History

I’ve been following this band for a long time and the most fascinating but also most disappointing period was through the whole late 90s -early 2000 recording sessions and what exactly went on during this period. I remember at the time there is so much excitement about what was being done, who was being brought in, how great music may or may not be, etc. There was also the Spin magazine article, there was other interviews with Axl, but at the time there is no clear answer on what exactly was going on. I’m 41 years old now, with my two kids at home, and  I’m not quite keeping up with the band like I used to in my 20s. Maybe that’s also a sign of old age. LOL

I was a little late in discovering the leak madness we’ve had in recent weeks. As a result I am unsure how this all came to be. I understand there was a storage locker that may or may not have been purchased by a fan. However I can’t seem to find one good post that lays out exactly what has transpired the last few weeks. Can someone or some people reply to this post and maybe we can collect all the information that happened with respect to the leaks. At a minimum, we will have a diary on what’s gone on so far, which will allow us to look back in many years when the song leaks still haven’t been released officially … Just kidding… Sort of.  Some questions I have are - who sold the locker? Where was the selling of this locker advertised? Do we know who bought it? Is there only one person who has all the leaks? Is the person in possession of the leaks an active member of the GNR community? Etc. etc. Please, anyone with any answers or useful information, pictures, etc. please post below. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

A storage locker had Tom Zutaut's 15-CD set of Chinese Democracy demos from circa-2001 when he was fired by Axl - it sat abandoned for years

Some guy bought the locker at auction who wasn't a fan. After the auction had ended, a GNR fan spotted the Zutaut discs in an online listing for the auction, and contacted the buyer. The buyer agreed to sell the CD's for a set price.

Then a bunch of GNR fans pooled their money together to drive and get the discs and make copies for themselves. But then, as idiots tend to do, the donors got mad at each other and started leaking tracks out of spite.

And now, realizing they might face legal action, they're all trying to throw each other under the bus even though they were all dumb enough to declare "hey, I have the stolen thing!"

Wouldn't expect anything less from this fanbase

Good resumen!! 👍

39 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

A storage locker had Tom Zutaut's 15-CD set of Chinese Democracy demos from circa-2001 when he was fired by Axl - it sat abandoned for years

Some guy bought the locker at auction who wasn't a fan. After the auction had ended, a GNR fan spotted the Zutaut discs in an online listing for the auction, and contacted the buyer. The buyer agreed to sell the CD's for a set price.

Then a bunch of GNR fans pooled their money together to drive and get the discs and make copies for themselves. But then, as idiots tend to do, the donors got mad at each other and started leaking tracks out of spite.

And now, realizing they might face legal action, they're all trying to throw each other under the bus even though they were all dumb enough to declare "hey, I have the stolen thing!"

Hard to face legal action if something was bought legally. 

39 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

From that stuff I just read over at reddit it's sounding pretty serious as in people going to jail serious 😳 Apparently Fernando's involved somehow. Doing an investigation? Why would Zutaut leave all that there in his locker knowing the damage it could do and the repercussions he might be possibly be facing? I'm not a lawyer so I'm clueless but Axl has lots of Lawyers at his disposal lol 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Crowebar said:

From that stuff I just read over at reddit it's sounding pretty serious as in people going to jail serious 😳 Apparently Fernando's involved somehow. Doing an investigation? Why would Zutaut leave all that there in his locker knowing the damage it could do and the repercussions he might be possibly be facing? I'm not a lawyer so I'm clueless but Axl has lots of Lawyers at his disposal lol 😂

:shrugs:

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Literally only maybe 1,000 people heard the leaks. The leaks didn't even make headlines- Axl should really just let it go in my opinion.

Leaks didn’t make headlines because not one major music news outlet would dare post something that might possibly fuck up any future plans. They’ve already been briefed. You’re not going to see billboard or rolling stone mention anything. 

29 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

He wasn't - he abandoned it at some point and the contents were auctioned off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_storage#Storage_auctions

Can Zutaut get sued for being irresponsible with unreleased material he was entrusted with or just the leakers making money off of a bands copywrited material?

3 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Literally only maybe 1,000 people heard the leaks. The leaks didn't even make headlines- Axl should really just let it go in my opinion.

I feel the same way. I could see a few cease and desist letters being sent out but it'll be bad pr if they crucify anyone

20 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Hard to face legal action if something was bought legally. 

Probably no crime against owning it but leaking it is a different story.

However I think it would reflect poorly on the band to sue over this. Its 20 year old demos that are tiding over fans while you are supposedly working on new music - let it be.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

However I think it would reflect poorly on the band to sue over this. Its 20 year old demos that are tiding over fans while you are supposedly working on new music - let it be.

These leaks ARE the “new music”. If you think Axl is writing a bunch of new songs in 2019, you’re in for a surprise.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

It's awful that leakers have a history of being really fucking dumb about leaking what they have.  If you're wanting to kill the value in hoarding it, just dump it all at once without fucking with it.  Management really don't have a case here either; the material was bought legally from a storage unit auction.  Unless TB wants to finally bring out the masters and distribute it legally, nothing's going to be done litigation-wise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Can’t be a crime if you buy CD’s legally that you know zero about and start uploading songs. Everyone needs to understand that none of this material was stolen like it was in the past. Sloppy mismanagement has resulted in fair game.  Shit happens. 

3 minutes ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

These leaks ARE the “new music”. If you think Axl is writing a bunch of new songs in 2019, you’re in for a surprise.

There is original material with Axl Slash and Duff that is separate from what some of us have already heard.