The Leak History

I do think it's Fernando on reddit. I wouldn't see the point of an impersonator. Fits the kind of things he said here when he came by on this forum last time. He is always acting very polite.

Anyway, glad he replied about his "involvement/lack of involvement". I understand his point of view: before this recording, he didn't have any hard evidence to take action.

He was aware that Rick bought the digital version of the locker content but couldn't prove he was the one responsible of things leaking. Especially since Levi bought the physical copies. Makes sense.

I don't mind that what I wrote on another forum is posted by someone on reddit. The information is out there, it's not mine. I'm just trying to help figuring this all out, especially for people who struggle with english and would like to learn the full story behind the leaks.

• Like 1

As part of the “donors trying to blame each other for the leaks so they don’t go to jail” game, there’s a lot of misdirection going on

Don’t believe 99% of what’s out there right now

And yes, as part of the misdirection the donor(s) would have every reason to impersonate Fernando

10 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

As part of the “donors trying to blame each other for the leaks so they don’t go to jail” game, there’s a lot of misdirection going on

Don’t believe 99% of what’s out there right now

And yes, as part of the misdirection the donor(s) would have every reason to impersonate Fernando

Thing is, the account isn't new. It's almost a year old, and has posted on other non-GN'R related subreddits. And seems very similar to Fernando's verbiage when he was posting on here.

I'd be much more skeptical if it had just popped up in the last month or two.

Ill be checking out that soundcloud asap. But in the meantime, and I dont mean this to be too serious, but it has crossed my mind that Zutuat got too feeling like he'd given a lot to some of these bands and not gotten a lot of respect in turn. Theres plenty of artists who have remained life ling friends with their A&R and other associates who made the artists career. My two bit silly theory is that when Zutuat learned via the Motely Crue oil that Neil had shagged Toms gf, Tom said "fuck it" and through that process sold the CD stuff too.

8 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Probably no crime against owning it but leaking it is a different story.

However I think it would reflect poorly on the band to sue over this. Its 20 year old demos that are tiding over fans while you are supposedly working on new music - let it be.

Yup - you can own a CD but it’s illegal to upload it to the internet.

Even the “owning” of those discs would be one hell of a legal grey area.

9 hours ago, UYI4 said:

What still blows me away is how someone would even know about a storage locker for sale owned by a former associate of the band unless that person let them know, and also how all of these random ass people got ahold of these finished songs in the first place even before the lockers as obviously there’s a lot out there in complete form.  I listened to that SoundCloud thing.  Obviously people have and have heard a lot of finished with vocal material we didn’t know existed until now.  That guy said tons.  The entire thing is strange. 

I don't believe in "leaks" anymore. That was 15 years ago. Nowadays artist release a new song every two weeks and that's how it works. 

IMO, this is just a stunt from TB, to promote the upcoming shows. The timing is suspicious. I could also believe all those "random ass people" are connected to management or the record company and they function as non-traditional publicity when it's needed.

• Like 1

Just now, killuridols said:

I don't believe in "leaks" anymore. That was 15 years ago. Nowadays artist release a new song every two weeks and that's how it works. 

IMO, this is just a stunt from TB, to promote the upcoming shows. The timing is suspicious. I could also believe all those "random ass people" are connected to management or the record company and they function as non-traditional publicity when it's needed.

If so they fail again, because the leaks are not creating any media buzz that would benefit ticket sales. 

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I cannot believe that. They (Rose and his posse) utterly loath the very notion of bootlegging, leaking and anything out of their control. It has been a constant throughout, stretching back to the days of Rio 3 and Rose's jealously guarded ''vault'', and going right up to Del James's utter meltdown on this issue when people were being threatened. 

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

I know. Maybe this is aimed to the die-hard ones.... Isn't that show on Saturday kind of exclusive and very expensive?

I suppose it is. It is also announced just a few days before the show, and has a limited seat capacity (10k?). I doubt such a scheme involving leaks many weeks prior would cause many diehards who haven't already decided to buy tickets, to now buying tickets. The effect must be marginal.

That being said, the explanation that the songs came from a locker rented by Zutaut which was then auctioned because he didn't pay his rent, and ultimately ended up in the hands of traders, is quite surreal, too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Have you spoken that out loudly before you posted it?? Just to hear how it sounds?

No. This whole leak bullshit is rich people drama. No one outside the forum gives a crap about them :sleeper:

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I cannot believe that. They (Rose and his posse) utterly loath the very notion of bootlegging, leaking and anything out of their control. It has been a constant throughout, stretching back to the days of Rio 3 and Rose's jealously guarded ''vault'', and going right up to Del James's utter meltdown on this issue when people were being threatened. 

This is another way of taking control of their own stuff.

7 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Yeah I would be curious to know who legal "Owns" the material given that it was sold via an official channel ( the lockers auction ) to a buyer.

You’d need to ask a lawyer or two - even then they might not all agree.

Interscope/Geffen (or whoever owns it all now - I forget!) probably own the discs, Zutaut probably only had possession of them in legalistic terms (IE think like a work phone - you have it and use it but you don’t own it). But I’m really not 100% sure, also I’m from the UK (so are you looking at your profile pic) so US law could be quite different.

It’s complicated by the physical disc and the license - they aren’t the same thing

16 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Leaks didn’t make headlines because not one major music news outlet would dare post something that might possibly fuck up any future plans. They’ve already been briefed. You’re not going to see billboard or rolling stone mention anything. 

so true

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Literally only maybe 1,000 people heard the leaks. The leaks didn't even make headlines- Axl should really just let it go in my opinion.

The leaks are still out there and readily available if you loo hard enough!

End of the day while it's great hearing the material it is still Axls property so as a deterrent management have to come after these people to stop people leaking anything further. 

But it didn't make mainstream news nobody really knows about it, besides the forums.

Edited by Tom2112

17 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Was really hoping Oklahoma would leak before the shit hit the fan.

Oh well, can't act like what we got wasn't awesome though! :shrugs:

I think I read somewhere that the version of Oklahoma/Berlin on these discs is just a piano instrumental, similar to As It Began. Would still be cool to hear tho!