The Leak History

Just now, nycgunner said:

Bizarre. Glad Slash is back

I’m glad Slash is back too, but I still love Buckethead nonetheless, and am happy he’s also part of the GnR history.

on topic; are we absolutely sure nothing else will leak? It’d be nice if at least the last four songs that supposedly have vocals still make it to the surface, if nothing else.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Just give all the DAT tapes and masters to Trent Reznor and let him make an album out of it

Trent Reznor Presents: Chinese Democracy

That's what Axl originally wanted, anyway - let him remix it into something great

Would be my dream album, but have Trent add his voice too

I'm pretty sure, that there are more than 3 or 4 Songs with vocals left... Regarding these fotos, im wondering about the connection between PRL and Thyme. On disc #2 it says PRL w/out Thyme. On another disc Thyme is listed with (PRL). Is that an alternative title? What dies PRL mean? Anyone noticed, that shaklers is called "shanklers"? A typo? 

Tbh I don’t understand why the rest of the songs containing vocals doesn’t get leaked too, regardless of any fear of "legal consequences" – I mean, you can always upload it somewhere (torrents?) and then send the link to forums etc., going "look what I’ve found", can’t you? How could anyone be proved to have leaked it? Especially if you use some public computer...

Edited by jamillos

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Tbh I don’t understand why the rest of the songs containing vocals doesn’t get leaked too, regardless of any fear of "legal consequences" – I mean, you can always upload it somewhere (torrents?) and then send the link to forums etc., going "look what I’ve found", can’t you? How could anyone be proved to have leaked it? Especially if you use some public computer...

I don't thinknit's about legal consequences.  More about the songs losing value among the hoarding/trading circles once they are out.

We were "lucky" because these tracks fell into a lot of hands to begin with, that's why we had a lot of leaks lately. Had they stayed in the hands of few, we wouldn't have got them.

Just now, ZODIAC said:

I'm also wondering, why Hard School is not listed as "Jackie chan"... In the chats, axl was talking about the left Songs very openly... I don't think, that he made a joke... 

Most likely he was joking about that one. He might have changed the working title after 2000, but a joke sounds more likely. "Hardschool" is on the lyrics of the songs after all, it makes more sense.

19 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

I don't thinknit's about legal consequences.  More about the songs losing value among the hoarding/trading circles once they are out.

We were "lucky" because these tracks fell into a lot of hands to begin with, that's why we had a lot of leaks lately. Had they stayed in the hands of few, we wouldn't have got them.

Good point, although I think the overall value has quite decreased now, as many people were like "meh" concerning the four new tunes (and their audio quality) we got recently. So the hoarders might as well have leaked the remaining 4 or 5 songs, too. I mean, if anything, their value is definitely not gonna be increasing now... not anymore. 
Or is it?
Nah. 

If the band can succeed at releasing something in not too long, and the track list can be kept secret, we might get more leaks as the hoarders fear the remaining songs will be released and they will lose their trading value. Better to trade at lower price when they still have some value than risk them being released and lose all value. 

With the purported large number of people having the discs, and no control on whether early keepers of the CDs won't leak them or continue to distribute to even more people, I am surprised if hoarders dare hoard them for long, anyway. At any time some of them, known or unknown, could leak the stuff causing everything they sit on to turn to dust. 

Edited by SoulMonster

11 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Who’s to say at this point any of the material was copy written. I mentioned when this whole thing was about to hit the fan that all of the material was obtained legally. Tom or whoever was in charge of his locker was notified that he had x amount of days before it was to be auctioned off. Someone fucked up. The buyer of the locker legally owns whatever he purchased. Whatever he did with the contents afterwards (selling, discarding) was also his legal right to do so. Nobody is going to jail over this. Lawyers will be the only ones getting rich over this with their bullshit letters that they will send back and forth. 

You don't have to apply for copywrite - it will be in the contracts because the label was picking up the tab.

While it will be technically legal to own the physical CDs - you wouldn't own the license to listen, reproduced, etc.

Think of it this way - you own the physical hard drive on your PC with the leaks on it. Doesn't mean you've paid for the license to listen to it or have the right to redistribute.

Now the orignal guys are very much in the clear with how they obtained it but the minute they started making copies and distributing they are very much able to be caught and sued. No one is likely to go to jail but you could get hit with one hell of a fine.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, life_247 said:

You don't have to apply for copywrite - it will be in the contracts because the label was picking up the tab.

While it will be technically legal to own the physical CDs - you wouldn't own the license to listen, reproduced, etc.

Think of it this way - you own the physical hard drive on your PC with the leaks on it. Doesn't mean you've paid for the license to listen to it or have the right to redistribute.

Now the orignal guys are very much in the clear with how they obtained it but the minute they started making copies and distributing they are very much able to be caught and sued. No one is likely to go to jail but you could get hit with one hell of a fine.

If they were reselling it and not just giving it away to people they'd be in even bigger strife as well

Edited by Caedo

4 hours ago, Caedo said:

If they were reselling it and not just giving it away to people they'd be in even bigger strife as well

I wonder if GNR legal went after the hundreds of GNR bootleg cassettes and CD's that contained the Use Your Illusion demos in the early 1990s

From what I remember, they were released overseas so there was nothing they could do about it

Releasing something domestically in the US like the Rapidfire demos and the Hollywood Rose demos obviously brought legal threats, but I don't think anything happened because Axl didn't control either band when he was in them (and he didn't write any of the Rapidfire material)

21 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

I wonder if GNR legal went after the hundreds of GNR bootleg cassettes and CD's that contained the Use Your Illusion demos in the early 1990s

From what I remember, they were released overseas so there was nothing they could do about it

Releasing something domestically in the US like the Rapidfire demos and the Hollywood Rose demos obviously brought legal threats, but I don't think anything happened because Axl didn't control either band when he was in them (and he didn't write any of the Rapidfire material)

The Use Your Illustion demos are all over Soundcloud as it is too. I've found some by mistake, just searching for the finished version of a song.

It is funny that since they announce de september 21 concert no other leaks have surfaced.

Have we been played? Like, is it the band itself behind the leaks just to create momentum / new interest / buzz for the new leg of the tour?

Strange... very strange things happening even within the GNR world.

Edited by Legendador
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Legendador said:

It is funny that since they announce de september 21 concert no other leaks have surfaced.

Have we been played? Like, is it the band itself behind the leaks just to create momentum / new interest / buzz for the new leg of the tour?

Strange... very strange things happening even withing the GNR world.

Media outlets haven’t really picked up on the leaks, so I don’t really put too much stock in this theory.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrMojo said:

The GNR Universe is a strange one indeed, been an interesting month to say the least. I'd like to hear the UYI Raw mix.

I still want to hear a dry mix of the entirety of AFD like the Mr Brownstone mix that's out there on an ISE single.

• Like 3