On this day September 17, 1991

I was not on the earth yet when both albums came out, but when I read about them selling a million copies in 5 hours starting from midnight I was blown away by the impact it had on it's release! I think I first was really on to the hits on both albums like KOHD Don't Cry and NR so on, but later got really hooked on the hard rockers like don't damn me Right next door. Over all I think both albums contain something for everybody, it's so diverse and creative and thats what I love about them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GNRmello77 said:

I was not on the earth yet when both albums came out

This is so funny... all these GnR fans that didn't even exist in 1991 :lol:

To be fair, I was only 10 years old in 1991.

The first time I really listened to GnR was one year later, in 1992, I think. KOHD was on the radio and I immediately liked it. I remember trying to record it, rewind cassette, waiting for the song to come on and push that button :lol:

But I wasn't a real GnR fan per se, I just started to discover rock music. Around that same time I also got excited by Nirvana, with Smells Like Teen Spirit. And later Radiohead, etc.

But yeah, KOHD on the radio was my first GnR encounter.

PS
It wasn't until much later... around 2003 - when I met my girlfriend - I really got into GnR. She loves Aerosmith, The Black Crowes, Guns N Roses, etc. She told me Estranged was one of her favorite songs, and I started listening to it... and then I proceeded to listen to everything.

Funny thing: I became a GnR fan too, but like different songs :lol: I'm much more into (Izzy) songs like 14 years, Patience and Dust N Bones. Love those. My girlfriend likes Estranged, Don't Cry, etc.

She's not a big fan of CD btw. She likes Madagascar, Street Of Dreams, and IRS. But that's about it.

I did become a Velvet Revolver fan on my own though... (she doesn't like Scott Weiland at all, while I loved STP already).

And then in 2006 or so, I became obsessed with this CD thing. I liked the mystery of it.

Edited by Lethalis

That day was truly a moment in history! Happy 28th anniversary! I still prefer UYI2 slightly over UYI1, but I will listen to them both today out of respect. :)

even the crappy songs have grown on me lately.

oh and yeah I agree that Aint Goin’ Down should’ve been on there. Oh well. There’s always the inevitable 30th anniversary reissue!

Edited by rocknroll41

I was a little kid all hyped about the upcoming T2 movie, had no idea who GNR were. Then I saw the YCBM video on tv and I was absolutely interested because it was tied in with the movie. I loved the song and it kickstarted my interest in heavier music eventually. A few months later, early '92, I taped both UYI albums from a cousin who happened to have the cds. Over the next couple of years GNR became the most famous international rock band here in Italy. Metallica and Nirvana were obviously huge too, but not on a GNR level. I mean, in 1993 a line of GNR school supplies was launched here: school bags, copy books, diaries, folders... I still have most of those. Also, there was a tv commercial for paper towels starring this teenager wearing a GNR t-shirt. That says a lot about how big they were here in the UYI era. 1993 was definitely their peak of popularity in Italy.

• Like 3

I was 16 and just got my drivers license. Took a care load of friends to a local record shop that was selling them at midnight. Bought both on cassette Lol! I'll never forget hearing the opening of "Right Next Door to Hell" and how it Jammed!! There was a pretty good line waiting for the store to open at midnight. The anticipation was wild Good times Indeed! 

• Like 1

Amazing albums with amazing music videos tied to them.  Not many bands can get away with releasing 4 LP's, a quadruple album's worth of material at once, then go on one of the biggest rock tours ever with several iconic moments, but Axl and the Lads managed to make it work out for them.

I was 10 and was already pumped because of KOHD (which is now one of my least favorites) in the Days of Thunder soundtrack.

But I didnt get both. My brother only had the UYI 1 on cassete, and that's what I had for a long time. I had some songs recorded from the radio, but only managed to buy UYI 2 on CD in 1995, when I started to play guitar and really got into GNR for real.

To this day, to me both UYI are Slash's best work - guitar tone, melody and solos.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

To this day, to me both UYI are Slash's best work - guitar tone, melody and solos.

West Arkeen actually wrote some of those solo's and melodies.

Slash admitted in his biography he had to work really hard to get the solo on The Garden right.

3 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

West Arkeen actually wrote some of those solo's and melodies.

Slash admitted in his biography he had to work really hard to get the solo on The Garden right.

Really? But which ones? Sure it would be kinda like the idea behind the solo, like Axl did in the piano for November Rain?
I didnt read Slash's book, tho.

I was 7 & not a fan yet but both those records were my teenage years.

Few songs I could do without like So Fine, & I wish Bring It Back Home was on there but overall great albums both.

Now where's the boxset?

51 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

I was 17 years old living in Central America, I made my aunt (a lovely nun) to do some serious lines in Phoenix, Arizona to buy me the cassetes.

I love my auntie to death, she remembers that day....never heard the music!!!! (She said she didn't want to sin:lol:)

Poor aunt nun! She missing "Back of bitch".....:lol:

• Like 1