Jump to content
downzy

09/21/19 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

so Mel is a sound guy!?

why not out her at soundboard then?

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Are you asking why isn't she at the soundboard?  I already explained that.

 

Most bands will have somebody off stage with a MacBook playing the backing tracks or have the drummer trigger them with a click track.  Guns n' Roses wants these parts played live.  That's why Melissa is up there.  How is this not clear?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LA_0013 said:

Not sure what everyone is complaining about 

Because it's a ™.

Imagine we're talking about the first show after a long hiatus..

Axl always have problems in the beginning of a tour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Someone back these up because they will be gone in no time

Shadow Of Your Love is gone

Can someone re upload it? 

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Most bands will have somebody off stage with a MacBook playing the backing tracks or have the drummer trigger them with a click track.  Guns n' Roses wants these parts played live.  That's why Melissa is up there.  How is this not clear?

Guns N' Roses aren't most bands... They never needed anyone playing backing tracks or whatever useless shit she does back during the classic era... Slash's band sure doesn't use them and they sound tight as fuck..  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derick said:

I read in some post that was part of “Shine On You Crazy Diamond” by Pink Floyd.

 

1 hour ago, SAU3R said:

me too but i cant hear it

FWIW, I'm a huge Floyd guy and I cannot hear any part of Shine On in that.

Having said that, it's some bad ass work on Slash's part!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RedHook said:

I saw something similar,  the 2nd night in Foxboro 2016 was almost cancelled because of low sales. They upgraded alot of people tickets for free at the gate to help fill the floor seating behind the pit.

I felt like such an idiot for paying full price for 2nd row when all the people around me got free upgrades on cheap seats 😔

I was at both shows for those nights. The second show wasn't advertised as heavily as the night before. Least in my area, (south shore, Cape Cod) they were running adds all over the radio, tv, local papers and the first show sold out without any issue. The second show, there was nothing about it. I've bumped into many people who went to the first show, and most have said they had no idea there was a second show. And they were some people that I talked with that had no idea GN'R was in town for those nights otherwise they would of gone. I think this band has worse marketing team out of any mainstream nostalgic band. I went to the show in Boston in 2017 and it was sold out. But I remember in my area, it was pretty advertised. 

Edited by WWEROSES

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Guns N' Roses aren't most bands... They never needed anyone playing backing tracks or whatever useless shit she does back during the classic era... Slash's band sure doesn't use them and they sound tight as fuck..  

Counterpoint: they do.  Like almost every other artist out there today.

 

This was at his concert in Philly last October Bottom right hand corner, see the guy with the MacBook? 

YGyBIXb.pngOzFeQoz.png

Edited by Bitchisback
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WWEROSES said:

I was at both shows for those nights. The second show wasn't advertised as heavily as the night before. Least in my area, (south shore, Cape Cod) they were running adds all over the radio, tv, local papers and the first show sold out without any issue. The second show, there was nothing about it. I've bumped into many people who went to the first show, and most have said they had no idea there was a second show. And they were some people that I talked with that had no idea GN'R was in town for those nights otherwise they would of gone. I think this bad has worse marketing team out of any mainstream nostalgic band. I went to the show in Boston in 2017 and it was sold out. But I remember in my area, it was pretty advertised. 

The 2nd Chicago show was advertised but not real hard and they closed the upper deck on one side...still a good crowd, but you couldn't fit another person in the first night. The arena show the following year was completely sold out. The Cincy show a few days after Chicago had a half full upper deck, but wasn't close to being packed. I went to 15 shows on the tour and those were the only 2 that weren't packed. The 2nd Dodger Stadium show had some seats available but was very well attended. I had friends that went to the Hawaii show that said it was pretty poorly attended.

Edited by GoBucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WWEROSES said:

I was at both shows for those nights. The second show wasn't advertised as heavily as the night before. Least in my area, (south shore, Cape Cod) they were running adds all over the radio, tv, local papers and the first show sold out without any issue. The second show, there was nothing about it. I've bumped into many people who went to the first show, and most have said they had no idea there was a second show. And they were some people that I talked with that had no idea GN'R was in town for those nights otherwise they would of gone. I think this bad has worse marketing team out of any mainstream nostalgic band. I went to the show in Boston in 2017 and it was sold out. But I remember in my area, it was pretty advertised. 

You know its the local promotor that overseas marketing of shows don't you? i.e Live Nation, and the band having nothing to do with that side of the business. 

The band have a booking agent, who deals with the promotor interms of the negotiations. The booking agent will reach out or be contacted by a promotor based on a promotors belief that their is a demand in a market place (area or country). 

The band would than either have specific requirements or set specific requirements depending on the opportunity. 

I would suspect these up coming  festivals dates and shows were instagated by promoters, reaching out to the bands booking agent to see if they were interested, and if the band were happy with the specifics offered, they would commit.

The other thing you need to take into consideration is the market in the US and were rock music fits into the music industry today. 

All bands that tour the US are struggling to sell out stadiums or arenas, hence the reason why bands are joining together to tour or why festivals are popular and are the new avenue for both a promotor to approach a rock act or for rock bands to appear.

A few years ago most major festivals were based around EDM music, hip hop and pop music. 

The last thing is the US market. Bigger population and more to choose from interms of seeing a live act. 

In New Zealand we are lucky enough these days to see more artists and bands more often as our population grows along with a better quality of stadiums and venues. 

We are now seeing bands sell out 2 - 3 shows with both Fleetwood Mac just completing 3 shows in Auckland and 2 in the South Island.

Metallica have added a second show as the first show capacity 40,000 sold out. 

And Yes if Guns N Roses toured Nz again, you would get 60,000 people as they did in 2017. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FabioRoses said:

 

Am i the only one who thinks this is amazing?

holy fuck. this sounds like a GnR Christmas song. Thats exactly why Slash is above Bonamassa, Eric and mamy more. You can feel his emotions. Its like Slash is singing with his guitar.

its most probably a song...the question is: what does 'GF' stands for on the set list?

Edited by Creed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Counterpoint: they do.  Like almost every other artist out there today.

 

This was at his concert in Philly last October Bottom right hand corner, see the guy with the MacBook? 

YGyBIXb.pngOzFeQoz.png

That's for the monitor engineer; he's not running any tracks. As far as SMKC goes, if you listen to any live concert footage of them (proshot or not) there's absolutely no additional keys or synths or whatever. What you see on stage in front of you is what you're hearing. Unlike, say, Steel Panther, who have synths and some additional guitar tracks playing in the background.

52 minutes ago, Creed said:

holy fuck. this sounds like a GnR Christmas song. Thats exactly why Slash is above Bonamassa, Eric and mamy more. You can feel his emotions. Its like Slash is singing with his guitar.

its most probably a song...the question is: what does 'GF' stands for on the set list?

A GnR Christmas album would be amazing. GF is Godfather.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who can’t even play the tambourine, why people in general do not like Frank? I would think that a band like GNR wouldn’t keep a bad drummer. The criticism is not about style, it’s always about his abilities. It’s a genuine question, if someone here is a musician/play drums, could you please explain what it’s all about?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ChildOfTheMoon said:

As someone who can’t even play the tambourine, why people in general do not like Frank? I would think that a band like GNR wouldn’t keep a bad drummer. The criticism is not about style, it’s always about his abilities. It’s a genuine question, if someone here is a musician/play drums, could you please explain what it’s all about?

He is not Steven Adler they can get john freaking bonham to play and he would be called shit. Its just because people are so attached to Steven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

He is not Steven Adler they can get john freaking bonham to play and he would be called shit. Its just because people are so attached to Steven

That isn't true.. Maybe for some but most just don't like they way he plays/sounds... I would love Steven back just because they band sounds the best with him but I would also take Sorum, Fitz even Brain or Tommy Lee over Frank.. 

48 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's for the monitor engineer; he's not running any tracks. As far as SMKC goes, if you listen to any live concert footage of them (proshot or not) there's absolutely no additional keys or synths or whatever. What you see on stage in front of you is what you're hearing. Unlike, say, Steel Panther, who have synths and some additional guitar tracks playing in the background.

Thank You

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Creed said:

holy fuck. this sounds like a GnR Christmas song. Thats exactly why Slash is above Bonamassa, Eric and mamy more. You can feel his emotions. Its like Slash is singing with his guitar.

its most probably a song...the question is: what does 'GF' stands for on the set list?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2019 at 1:28 AM, Bitchisback said:

Yikes, this is why I don't come to the message boards anymore.  Too many people wallowing in their own misery and negativity.  The band was tight as fuck tonight and Axl was great 90% of the time. They played a 3 hour set and I guarantee everybody there had a killer time.  I'm so psyched I got to see 90% of the show, and i had a great time watching one of the best rock bands of all time deliver an awesome performance.  I feel bad for those who can't find enjoyment in a moment like this.  Meh

Amen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

He is not Steven Adler they can get john freaking bonham to play and he would be called shit. Its just because people are so attached to Steven

Or it's because Frank is the worst drummer that Guns have had?

Brain > Adler > Sorum > Frank.

I don't really count Freese but he'd be between Adler and Sorum.

Franks playing simply doesn't suit GNR as well as any of the other drummers. Bad fills, overuse of accents, an apparent inability to learn the long ballads correctly... even the drum tone itself isn't that good (though I think that's more to do with how he's mixed/filtered at the soundboard)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Or it's because Frank is the worst drummer that Guns have had?

Brain > Adler > Sorum > Frank.

I don't really count Freese but he'd be between Adler and Sorum.

Franks playing simply doesn't suit GNR as well as any of the other drummers. Bad fills, overuse of accents, an apparent inability to learn the long ballads correctly... even the drum tone itself isn't that good (though I think that's more to do with how he's mixed/filtered at the soundboard)

Wrong he plays the songs the way Axl, Slash and Duff want them.

Take it up with them. He lasted this long.  If he was all the things you said  he would have been gone a long time ago.

People are hating on him because he is playing on the tour and Not Steven. All the talking points  Bad fills and other BS is just because he is on the stool and  notSteven or Matt

Richard is the one who recommended him he knows Frank since the 90s. 

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Wrong he plays the songs the way Slash and Duff want them

Take it up with them. He lasted this long.  If he was all the things you said  he would have been gone a long time ago.

 

 

DJ being in the band until 2015 and being offered a spot in the NITL line-up, kinda disproves your point :lol:

Frank's there because Axl wants him there, and Axl wants him there because he' a good employee, not necessarily because he's a great drummer. He offered Brain a gig as the 'alt drummer' on the CD tour, where he'd play the new songs and Frank would play the old songs. He's yelled at Frank on-stage more than once. But Frank has been loyal to Axl after almost everyone else in his band walked away, so he gets to stay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

 

DJ being in the band until 2015 and being offered a spot in the NITL line-up, kinda disproves your point :lol:

Frank's there because Axl wants him there, and Axl wants him there because he' a good employee, not necessarily because he's a great drummer. He offered Brain a gig as the 'alt drummer' on the CD tour, where he'd play the new songs and Frank would play the old songs. He's yelled at Frank on-stage more than once. But Frank has been loyal to Axl after almost everyone else in his band walked away, so he gets to stay.

and he is also a good drummer.n Also DJ didn't want to be in the band anymore because he wanted out... plain and simple. Duff has also played with Frank in 2010, 2012 and 2014 so I guess his opinion doesn't count

Also Brain got the death stare during YCBM in Rio 2001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Richard is the one who recommended him he knows Frank since the 90s. 

Get rid of them both.. Problem solved...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's for the monitor engineer; he's not running any tracks. As far as SMKC goes, if you listen to any live concert footage of them (proshot or not) there's absolutely no additional keys or synths or whatever. What you see on stage in front of you is what you're hearing. Unlike, say, Steel Panther, who have synths and some additional guitar tracks playing in the background.

I'm not going to argue it with Slash.  They may not, but they also may have some guitar riffs filtered in to give a thicker sound.  Again, lots of bands use them.  It goes well beyond synths.

 

But with GNR with how layered their songs are if they didn't have Melissa up there they would absolutely be using backing tracks.  Again, we should praise GnR for trying to have the most absolute live show possible instead of doing something many other bands do.  Meh. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

and he is also a good drummer.n Also DJ didn't want to be in the band anymore because he wanted out... plain and simple. Duff has also played with Frank in 2010, 2012 and 2014 so I guess his opinion doesn't count

Also Brain got the death stare during YCBM in Rio 2001

I didn't say he wasn't a good drummer, but his sound is the least compatible with GNR songs. He plays like he should be in a punk or 'modern hard rock' band, if that makes sense. And if anything, he became more of a sore thumb when Slash and Duff came back.

As for DJ I think it's more a case of: everyone in the band knew the reunion was coming, DJ saw how Bumblefoot was handling it, and probably thought his best option was to 'walk away' on good terms lol. But we don't really know what happened between 2014-2016.

 

Back on topic... How about that haircut, huh? Wichita Lineman is still one of the best songs in the set. Nice performance of that one :axl:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×