09/21/19 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium

downzy

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Some things are good, some things are not.. I have enjoyed the reunion for the most part... Can't say anything about it has been the best it has ever been from a "fans" perspective but I guess you meant more from the band's perspective... From a fan's perspective is more what I was talking about.. I saw 3 shows back in the day and 3 shows this tour and to say the band sounds as good or the shows were as good as back then would be a lie.. That isn't saying the "reunion" shows aren't good but just no where near on the level as back then.. No need to get into the details but there are several factors leading to this.. As far as new music, rehashed leftovers from Chinese Democracy aren't very exciting to me. I know that CD was popular on these boards but there are many here and in the general population that just didn't like CD. I could give a rats ass if they play "hard school" tonight or any other CD song.  Plus they have been together for almost 4 years and they haven't released a note of music.. That was way longer than they ever took when the classic band was still together.. They thought it took forever to get the UYI's out and that was only 2 years... 

Again, I have enjoyed the shows I went to... If they came around my area this leg, I would have went.. On the other side of that, this lineup just isn't worth traveling to see.. To me anyway.. I traveled to the first Vegas show and to be honest, I don't even know if that was worth it.. Maybe for the experience but not for the performance itself.. I waited almost 25 years for this and it just isn't as good as it could be. If things were different I would definitely travel more to see this band. I will still enjoy watching youtube clips although I have to pick and choose since some songs are just unwatchable.. I watched videos from this show for about an hour the other night. The Whiskey may have made it seem a bit better than it was but I still had a blast.. I really enjoyed seeing them on a small stage.. I get the most enjoyment out of watching Slash and Duff playing those classic songs again with the Guns N' Roses logo behind them. Axl is a bonus when he sounds decent. Aside from Dizzy I usually just block the others out whenever I can. 

Anyway, I need to get back to work.. Again, this is just from one fans perspective... I will still be buying tickets if and when they come this way again and check out any new music even though my expectations are pretty low.. 

I am sure the band is happy for the most part but I bet there are also things some would change if they could... 

I get you dude, i do, and this isn't directed at you personally because i know you're a fan but it's not realistic to expect it to be as good as it was.  What band is as good in their 50s as they are in their 20s?

I think people just get these unrealistic expectations with GnR.  They aren't 25 anymore.  Appetite was a long time ago.  You know?  I wish Bill Ward was on the final black sabbath tour.  I wish Roger Waters and David Gilmour were able to put their differences aside and tour together.  I wish Robert Plant and Jimmy Page would work together.  I wish Mick Taylor was with the rolling stones their entire career.  You know. Not every band is aerosmith.  In fact very very few are.  It's not 1992, it's never going to be 1992 again.  It's unrealistic to think it could be.

People have been coming here for nearly 20 years to call axl fat, complain about his hats and complain about the setlist.  At what point do people just get over it.

Man I wish axl had the voice he did 30 years ago.  Even 13 years ago, but he doesn't.  But he still has a good voice, sounds good to great most of the time, is giving fans 3 hour sets and playing with Slash and Duff.  

I'm really proud and happy to be a GnR fan right now.  I think there are a lot of reasons to be proud.  Instead of focusing on why this reunion isn't great I think there are a lot of great things to look at and be happy about.  You know?

Edited by Bitchisback
Accidentally hit send too early
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I get you dude, i do, and this isn't directed at you personally because i know you're a fan but it's not realistic to expect it to be as good as it was.  What band is as good in their 50s as they are in their 20s?

I think people just get these unrealistic expectations with GnR.  They aren't 25 anymore.  Appetite was a long time ago.  You know?  I wish Bill Ward was on the final black sabbath tour.  I wish To get Waters and David 

I was really bummed that Ward wasn't involved with the 13 and final tours! I was gutted! I am not a drum guy usually except when you are talking about Bill Ward and Dave Lombardo but Tommy Clufetos ended up fucking killing it during the 13 tour..  Hate to say it but he probably did a better job than Bill would have done. He even looked like a 70's Bill.  That 13 tour was phenomenalnal.. 

I do get that the band isn't 25 anymore and things are different.  While I do think Axl could do things to perform at a better level, I also give him somewhat of a pass for his vocals.. The band on the other hand I believe should sound better than ever at this stage of the game like Sabbath, Aerosmith, AC/DC and so on... To my ears they just don't and it bums me out.  They have had 3 1/2 years to change my mind like Tommy Clufetos did but they just haven't.  Believe me, I wish I didn't care so much haha. I am 45 fucking years old and I probably shouldn't but I am emotionally invested whether I like it or not... and as long as Saul Hudson is involved, I am not going anywhere! 

I appreciate that you called me out as a fan.  I know I can come across as bitter but I try hard to be respectful to other members and not get into arguments and all that just because someone's opinion differs from mine.  No one wants to see that shit.  

\m/

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I was really bummed that Ward wasn't involved with the 13 and final tours! I was gutted! I am not a drum guy usually except when you are talking about Bill Ward and Dave Lombardo but Tommy Clufetos ended up fucking killing it during the 13 tour..  Hate to say it but he probably did a better job than Bill would have done. He even looked like a 70's Bill.  That 13 tour was phenomenalnal.. 

I do get that the band isn't 25 anymore and things are different.  While I do think Axl could do things to perform at a better level, I also give him somewhat of a pass for his vocals.. The band on the other hand I believe should sound better than ever at this stage of the game like Sabbath, Aerosmith, AC/DC and so on... To my ears they just don't and it bums me out.  They have had 3 1/2 years to change my mind like Tommy Clufetos did but they just haven't.  Believe me, I wish I didn't care so much haha. I am 45 fucking years old and I probably shouldn't but I am emotionally invested whether I like it or not... and as long as Saul Hudson is involved, I am not going anywhere! 

I appreciate that you called me out as a fan.  I don't I can come across as bitter but I try hard to be respectful to other members and not get into arguments and all that just because someone's opinion differs from mine.  No one wants to see that shit.  

\m/

Dude I'm 35 and GnR has been my favorite band since i was 12, but it was so embarrassing when I was in high school and college.  You know.  Axl was known as this asshole because of shows like Montreal and St Louis and he's trying to replace fucking Slash with some dork with a KFC bucket on his head and put out an industrial album.  And then to top it off my first ever GnR show was the Philly show in 2002 which Axl didn't show up for and we had to listen to fucking mix master mike DJ for over an hour lol

I just feel like this tour has been redemption for the the giant mess GNR used to be, you know? Lol. It isn't perfect by any means but when I was in high school trying to find the Rock In Rio show on Napster I never thought I would see Slash and Axl share a stage.  3 years later I still tell my girl I can't believe Axl and Slash are in the same band again lol.

I was blessed to see the og Sabbath line up the ozzfest they played with Maiden and while I wish Ward would have been on the End tour I agree that the band sounded tight as fuck and put on a great show.  One I still think about.

I just love guns n roses so much dude.  For all the faults they've ever had I'll always care deeply for these guys.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

And then to top it off my first ever GnR show was the Philly show in 2002 which Axl didn't show up for and we had to listen to fucking mix master mike DJ for over an hour lol

Oh man.... If it makes you feel any better I saw a 2002 show that Axl did show up and we still had to listen to mix master Mike for over an hour lol.. Axl finally came on at 11:30pm on a Monday night.. I see people around here praise that show but I didn't care for it and most people I know that went didn't either.  Axl was in top form but the rest of the band just seemed like a weird joke.. That was about when I washed my hands of Guns for the next 14 years.. I was pretty much done before that but wanted to give it a shot. I had been following the CD saga all a long up until then.  From the Spin Magazine article which I bought, to End Of Days which I bought, to the 2000 intentions website, to the Vegas show, to the MTV awards (which were embarrassing) to RIR (which I enjoyed).. I even liked the Blues, CD and Madagascar.. Much much better than the CD versions which I don't like... Never liked Rhiad.. Was there one more?  

Anyway, you have good taste in music.. I am glad you got to see the reunion since you never got to see them back in the day and I dig your screen name.. Definitely the best shirt Axl wore during this endless tour..