09/21/19 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium

downzy

8 minutes ago, Partyslammer said:

Just got back from tonights show.

To give a bit of perspective, this was the 9th time seeing them, first being when they opened for The Lords Of The New Church back in early '86 at Fenders Ballroom, last being in 2006 during the Universal Amphitheater run when Izzy guested for a 3rd of the super long set.

Anyway, tonight's show was good up through about 2/3rds of the set.  The last 3rd dragged quite a bit mostly because of the pacing of the tunes included.  I'm aware this was a mildly condensed version of the arena/stadium set but I have to say, if I paid good money to see this especially at a crappy stadium, I would have been bored much of the show and probably pissed afterwords.  The major thing that made this a good show was the setting (the Palladium) and the band itself.  I've never been disappointed musically by whatever lineup Axl has surrounded himself with, hell I thought the 12/19/06 show with Bumblefoot and Co was actually better performed than the '92 UYI tour LA Coliseum show I saw.

I got to the Palladium and parked just before 8pm when they were just about to start letting people in.  The line wrapped almost completely around the block the Palladium and it's parking lot is on and it took almost exactly an hour to get in.  I saw one guy selling a few hard tickets for about $300+ each.  I didn't hear anything about a ticket drop earlier in the afternoon.  Once inside, the place filled up really quick and by about 10pm, people were starting to get restless. There were a *lot* of trashed people stumbling around, puking in the restroom well before the show started.  Close to 10:30, band came on and launched into It's So Easy and the crowd was into it and the band and Axl sounded pretty impressive.  Slash especially sounded awesome.  Fortus was often so low in the mix it sounded at times like a one guitarist band.  I noticed the keyboard chick was really helping on backup vox when Axl was hitting higher notes.

What quickly became a weird distraction was *every* instrumental break, guitar solo, etc, Axl would duck off stage into this little black tent on the side of the stage.  Often, he'd come out in a new shirt or a hat or whatever.  I think he changed clothes more than Stevie Nicks w/Fleetwood Mac. I get sometimes a singer might feel awkward or want the band to have the spotlight but in this case it seemed like Axl wanted minimal involvement on stage if he wasn't needed to actually sing.  I dunno, maybe he has a weak bladder or needs to hit the oxygen tank. Vocally, I thought he was pretty decent, certainly not the range of the good ol' days but I've heard worse.  I have to say, I haven't been paying much attention to his health or appearance since the very beginning of the tour a few years back so I was a bit shocked that he's become such a chunky guy.  Anyway, at least he didn't utterly suck singing like a David Lee Roth or (cue douche chills) Vince Neil.

I think the late start the instrumental breaks, the slow and unfamiliar tunes especially after Sweet Child Of Mine took a bit of wind out of the show.  People were streaming out after SCOM and the back of the floor thinned out considerably for the last half hour of the show.

Still a good show but it certainly scratched the itch to see them one more time.

Thanks for posting dude! Certainly great to hear the feedback and perspective of someone who was actually there. I see what you mean about the slow songs and guitar solos etc... I think it kills momentum and I would rather they just play 90 minutes of fast songs with maybe one slow song thrown in, but then again the last show I saw this year was Slayer - 90 minutes of face-melting ear assault then off they fuck. No encore. Just bang, finished, see ya'! 😁

17 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

but then again the last show I saw this year was Slayer - 90 minutes of face-melting ear assault then off they fuck. No encore. Just bang, finished, see ya'! 😁

Can Tom Araya hear anything anymore? IMO it's a small miracle if he can.:P

Edited by Fourteenbeers

14 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Thanks for posting dude! Certainly great to hear the feedback and perspective of someone who was actually there. I see what you mean about the slow songs and guitar solos etc... I think it kills momentum and I would rather they just play 90 minutes of fast songs with maybe one slow song thrown in, but then again the last show I saw this year was Slayer - 90 minutes of face-melting ear assault then off they fuck. No encore. Just bang, finished, see ya'! 😁

Yeah, I think the next show I'm catching which is Idles will be just a bit faster paced.

• Like 1

All frustrations aside, there are a few positives to take from tonight's show. The band sounded incredibly tight and Axl done himself justice after a 10 month hiatus. Probably the most controlled performance I've seen him put on for an opening show in a long time. 3 hours for a first show, still not many in a similar age group and younger that can match the performance that Axl puts on.

Slash's interviews of late have hinted at something happening behind the scenes - he's confirmed that they are working on a new album. Obviously it's annoying that they didn't try and mix up the setlist, but even the fact that they rehearsed Hard School is very positive - they've not played anything new in 13 years, so with it being included and rehearsing it at soundcheck, also points out that things are heading in the right direction. This is the most optimistic I've been in years following this band, more so than I ever have from 2011 onward especially, just don't throw in the towel just yet. I was very annoyed at them not throwing us a curve ball into the setlist and mixing it up, but as we all know, it's incredibly frustrating following this band, but I think we may be heading into what may be a very productive year. 

Keep the head up.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I was kinda hoping they'd drop Coma on this tour. He hasn't sounded passable on it since 2016.

I’m thinking/ hoping that it’ll get rotated with Locomotive over this leg. Also I think hard school won’t get played till one of the festival shows so it can get debuted to a wider audience for better feedback 

1 hour ago, Creed said:

Cool. So Melissa is finally out. 

Just checked her last IG pic from April. Her being in a hospital. Thats not so cool. 

Was she not playing?

2 minutes ago, Litti said:

That Axl is not coming back, is he :(

People and bands move on. Everyone gets older. Imagine if Axl came out looking like he did in the Illusions era? He would be laughed at. Time to let the guy get on and embrace the band for what it is. 

Is the setlist containing locomotive, hardschool, dead horse and Benny and The jets as alternative songs from a credible source? I have not seen the original post, just read about it.. 

To me it just seems too much like a fantasy for forum members, I don't know... I am a bit sceptical. 

Edited by Thorbear