09/21/19 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium

downzy

32 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Man I’m a way bigger GNR fan than Maiden, but to sit here and say Axl’s condition/voice/performance is good for his age is just being a blind follower.

This is a Maiden show I was at last weekend. Bruce has been doing it longer than Axl, is 61 and battled throat cancer a few years ago. Look at the energy he brings to the crowd because of it.

Is that Cory Feldman singing? That dance he was doing at the beginning of the song looks similar to something I seen in this thread yesterday.

To the people saying his weight doesn't matter. You're probably gonna change your opinion in a fucking heartbeat if he ever comes out REALLY fat like Vince Neil does, sometime. A rockstars, especially frontmans appearance matters, that's the bottom line. He's not just a normal 60 year old dude. Aslong as Axl doesn't look like Vince it's fine, just would be better if he was lanky again and had more energy to move around because of it.

And to the person who said the band members have no fun? Look at Slash during SOYL. He even comes over to Axls mic to sing and is really into the song. Kinda ironic considering it was written by Paul Huge, lol.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

6 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

To the people saying his weight doesn't matter. You're probably gonna change your opinion in a fucking heartbeat if he ever comes out REALLY fat like Vince Neil does, sometime. A rockstars, especially frontmans appearance matters, that's the bottom line. He's not just a normal 60 year old dude. Aslong as Axl doesn't look like Vince it's fine, just would be better if he was lanky again and had more energy to move around because of it.

And to the person who said the band members have no fun? Look at Slash during SOYL. He even comes over to Axls mic to sing and is really into the song. Kinda ironic considering it was written by Paul Huge, lol.

It does matter, especially for a frontman for the worlds biggest Rock band. Look at Anthony Keidis, he is Axl’s age and looks fucking great. 

5 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

It does matter, especially for a frontman for the worlds biggest Rock band. Look at Anthony Keidis, he is Axl’s age and looks fucking great. 

No doubt. If Axl really wanted to, he could deliver an ass kicking performance triple as good as he did last night. Like Steven Tyler did at Axls age, at 56 (!) years old. That's a guy who really gives a fuck

12 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I guess the difference right now is, Axl still resembles Axl, at least a little bit. Vince is almost unrecognizable.

2 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Honestly, if it clearly didn’t effect his singing it wouldn’t really matter. At least to me, it’s not an appearance thing because he needs to look “cool” it’s because when he’s out of shape, his vocal stamina fucking sucks.

ITDONTREALLYMATTA!

Just now, ironmt said:

I guess the difference right now is, Axl still resembles Axl, at least a little bit. Vince is almost unrecognizable.

Funny thing about Vince is that while yes, he looks silly..that’s not really why he sings bad. Listen to live shows of Motley in their prime, he wasn’t much better. He’s just never been a great live singer unfortunately. 

Honestly, if it clearly didn’t effect his singing it wouldn’t really matter. At least to me, it’s not an appearance thing because he needs to look “cool”. It’s because when he’s out of shape, his vocal stamina fucking sucks.

I agree, their are only a select few who can actually look "cool" at 60 plus. Steven Tyler is right there at the top. I actually thought his vocal stamina was decent for the first show back after a nine month absence, check out the end of Patience.

5 minutes ago, WWEROSES said:

If you are that displeased with the band for any reason, why continue to come back to the forum and bash them? 

Go say that to all the people who bashed the band constantly between the 90's and 2010, when Axl was still kicking asses and taking names, and all the bad press he got.

I find it astonishing the press was so hard on him when he wasn't with Slash (and was actually in much better shape all around, especially vocally and DID some fucking effort to play new songs), and now they're so nice. Just because he's back with Slash. It's ridiculous.

I think what we have now is actually far worse than any other time in Gn'R history, because at the end of the day, the person that matters the most (to me anyway) in the band is Axl. If he's not up for the mission, the mission is a failure.

I'm one of the people who were supportive most of the time, whatever the lineup, because Axl delivered. I don't care so much if a guitarist fucks up or the drums are no Adler or Brain. I don't even mind if the setlist is the same when I attend different shows (like I did in 2010, 4 shows and not so much variety in the setlist, but at least there WERE some variations).

Only times I was really disappointed is when Axl fucked it up (like Rock in Rio 2011).

Now, ever since 2011, I've begun to doubt what was going on with Axl and wasn't as present on the boards as I was in 2009-10. Between 2011 and 2014, it was a weird time, and I didn't give much shit anymore. Axl did the same things over & over & over again, with no new music. Nothing. Nothing for me as well then.

Even some members of the band complained about it. And his voice got weak. If you compare anything from 2011 until now, to 2010, Axl has lot a lot of his voice. I was only really surprised with the Axl/DC shows.

With the reunion, everyone got their hopes up, but I didn't. It meant no CD II (at least for a while, and I wasn't wrong on that; I don't even think the whole will get even released officially ever, one can only wonder what the fuck happened), and it meant probably a lot of shows with the big 3, without going nowhere. And so far, this reunion has gone nowhere, except a shitload of shows, with a weak Axl, and not a single new song (please don't say shadow of your love). And now he's weaker than ever.

I just hoped that with the rumors of a new Guns album with Slash & Duff, Axl would have something to prove again and that he would make a huge comeback yesterday night, losing some pounds, singing awesome, and mostly, kicking off the tour with some NEW FUCKING SONGS. How. Fucking. Difficult. Is. That?

But no. Same old show, and worse Axl than ever. Maybe not Rio 2011 bad, but not that far.

And if you look at last year, I did attend one show (after having left a 2012 show around the middle because I couldn't take Axl's vocals any longer, avoiding the 2017 one because of Axl's vocals, and having a lot of hesitation about going, but I told myself "hey, at least you'll see Axl with Slash & Duff for the first time in person") and tried to remain positive about it. I did underline that him playing Coma at every show was a very bold move, and that the setlist overall was extremely ambitious, that the band was tight. I can't take anything away from that. BUT, I told myself "if things stay like this or go worse, I'm done". And it's basically what happened yesterday. But I was really hoping that Axl would spice it up. Go crazy. Like he used to.

It's really because of the shitload of leaks that I have found a new interest in Guns and why the boards have been so active this past month. Finally hearing Hard School/Checkmate was so unexpected. Not even talking about the rest.

When Axl takes a long break, I'm always expecting something else/new. I hate to be this disappointed with him. Believe me, I love the man, and I consider him as the best frontman of all time. So you know, I'm a fan too. Now, I won't write this shit over & over & over again. If he wants things to stay this way and is happy that way, fine. I can respect that. Good for him, and I'll just go fuck myself. I'll just leave it be & not bother anymore.

You know, a lot of us expressing their disappointments express it this way because they're so passionate about Gn'R and especially Axl.

And when you really love something/somebody, it's better to say what's really on your mind and just be honest here. Axl needs to work on himself, like very very very hard, and play new music as soon as possible, and release it on record. This BS has been going on for far too long.

If he doesn't, then I think I won't be the only one to lose total interest in the band. If they show up in my city next year, I won't attend the show if things stay this way. Clear & simple. I am NOT paying for this. No way. I think criticism is important as long as it's constructive.

You just can't tell Axl that it's all perfect & great when he puts on a show like yesterday. Come on.

3 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Funny thing about Vince is that while yes, he looks silly..that’s not really why he sings bad. Listen to live shows of Motley in their prime, he wasn’t much better. He’s just never been a great live singer unfortunately. 

He was never great but listen to the early 90's shows after the Feelgood release and compare it to today. Axl Is miles ahead of Vince. Although Axl Is probably half of what he once was vocally and It isn't going to improve drastically IMO.

Nice Slash performance. Very raw n improvising a lot!! Good to hear new guitar solo. Slash is making GnR great again.... 

We are full of desillusions. This 2020 will be my last gnr attendance. I cant take this slow Axl's death.

Why the same fkn setlist? Wheres is the Axl "I saw that show in Toledo/Chicago!!" (Rant from the golden era).. what are he doing with GnR??? 

He need a personal trainer to get back his pulmonar shape. He doesnt really care... 

Cmon Axl. Drop the shit. Comeback please. 

1 minute ago, ironmt said:

He was never great but listen to the early 90's shows after the Feelgood release and compare it to today. Axl Is miles ahead of Vince. Although Axl Is probably half of what he once was vocally and It isn't going to improve drastically IMO.

I agree Axl is way better than Vince today...and always has been.

Thats what sucks though. Axl was incredible and now he’s decent to ok. Vince was only ok and now he’s pretty bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stiff Competition said:

Man I’m a way bigger GNR fan than Maiden, but to sit here and say Axl’s condition/voice/performance is good for his age is just being a blind follower.

This is a Maiden show I was at last weekend. Bruce has been doing it longer than Axl, is 61 and battled throat cancer a few years ago. Look at the energy he brings to the crowd because of it.

I get what your saying, but the vocals for gnr imo are waaayyy harder to pull off.. its just a different beast 

12 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

In the recent videos I've seen, Vince's vocal tone is still pretty similar to the classic Crue records but his breath control is terrible and has been for at least 20 years. On songs like Looks That Kill where there's space between the lines he actually sounds fairly good but on a song like Dr. Feelgood or Shout at the Devil, oh lord is it bad. He also probably still has 40-50 pounds on Axl.

I agree Axl is way better than Vince today...and always has been.

Thats what sucks though. Axl was incredible and now he’s decent to ok. Vince was only ok and now he’s pretty bad.

Vince isn’t “ok”, he’s horrible.  Looks like absolute shit and sounds worse. I just saw him front row last spring.   Sammy Hagar- age 72- sounds great.  Bret Michaels - I met him last week and he’s in great physical shape (age 56) and sounds good enough.  Axl- yes it’s 20+ years past his prime but he’s vocally close.  Needs to drop 25.  His “new do” looks great.   

2 minutes ago, prez said:

In the recent videos I've seen, Vince's vocal tone is still pretty similar to the classic Crue records but his breath control is terrible and has been for at least 20 years. On songs like Looks That Kill where there's space between the lines he actually sounds fairly good but on a song like Dr. Feelgood or Shout at the Devil, oh lord is it bad. He also probably still has 40-50 pounds on Axl.

Very true. Tonally, he sounds the same but he just can’t pull off live shows. He still sounds great in the studio.

2 minutes ago, prez said:

“40-50 on Axl”?   No way.  Gotta be 100lb’s.   He looks like hell (and I love the guy).   

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

The thing I don’t get is how Axl can do this with AC:DC and not be on the same level with GnR. 

Cause he gives a fuck in that video. He doesn't really see a need to improve his GNR singing when all he hears is how great he is. He still has it in him. That's what makes it so frustrating