09/21/19 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium

downzy

People seem to be lashing out a lot on this thread due to frustration. The real issue seems to lie with the fact it's the same setlist, and people seem fed up by the lack of change. That probably needs recognising as the cause of all the complaints, which appear to me to be getting more and more angry. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eddie Money said:

I tend to agree, however you and I know what to expect.  I’m wondering what it would feel like as a casual fan who is seeing it for the first time.  

Oh definitely, I think if you don't go to a lot of concerts (I go to a lot), you would be pretty blown away. 3hrs, all the main hits, there's lots there that people would generally like. I'm probably not the person that they are aiming for when they put the set together, but I'm honestly not expecting them to come out and play UYI 1 in full or anything crazy. It's kinda like going to a movie, I want to suspend belief for a minute and get lost in what I'm seeing/hearing. 

5 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Holy crap, no!!!  Every time I've seen GnR it's been amazing.  Saw them 3 times on the NITL tour and would gladly go 3 more.  How could I get bored watching one of the greatest hard rock bands ever?

Sounds like GnR isn't for you man 🧐

"Sounds like GnR isn't for you" this is exactly what I expected to hear, even before I said one critical thing. I wouldn't say there is a right and wrong way to enjoy a gig, but I have really enjoyed GNR gigs in the past (2006 was a stand out, 2012 was quite good too), and what I like in a gig is still pretty much the same.  

They are my favourite band on most days of the week, but are they the best live band I've seen? Nope, not even close. I'll definitely be going to see them again as soon as they release new music. 

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Tbh I didn't notice any large difference between now and the end of 2018 regarding Axl's weight/bulkiness...

Also, come on, how do you guys think you'll look like when you're approaching 60? 

It's just the way it is, he's the singer in a huge band and right or wrong people remember him as the skinny guy running around the stage, so late 50s Axl with a big belly is going to get zero slack. I don't care how he looks, as long as he sings well... but in my opinion he isn't singing that well, and it's largely down to the guy being pretty out of shape. Nobody expects him to look like he did 30yrs ago, but the man has every resource available. If he wanted he could eat like a king and still look great for his age. Look at actors like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise who are both the same age and those guys look 10 years younger, and more than a few belt notches lighter. It's not an age thing, it's diet and exercise thing. 

How will we look at that age? doubtful that we'll look great, but if somewhere between now and then I make millions, I think I can safely say I'll keep myself together.

29 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Look at actors like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise who are both the same age and those guys look 10 years younger, and more than a few belt notches lighter. It's not an age thing, it's diet and exercise thing. 

How will we look at that age? doubtful that we'll look great, but if somewhere between now and then I make millions, I think I can safely say I'll keep myself together.

Just because people like Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise exist, it doesn't mean it's an attainable goal for everyone.

These people would largely look the same if they had no money... apart from the fixed teeth. It's a mind set and they have had it their whole life. They like to exercise, climb the friggin' Burj Khalifa and shit like that. They are the exception, not the rule.

And a lot of it is genes as well... I'm a skinny guy even though I don't eat that healthy and don't exercise as much as I would like. But I've been skinny most of my life. There are lots of people who eat healthier than me, exercise more, and are still a lot bigger than me.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nikosgnr said:

I LOVE the man but... LOL. Sorry.

name three better that are performing right now 

I’ve seen these 3 in past 6 months and have seen several over my life and I’m talking live not on YouTube or a pro tools album 

Love to heAr your top 3 in the world right now 

5 hours ago, gcluskey said:

Doesn’t sound too bad. Hair looks good. Here’s an interesting fact, hair grows. Cutting hair helps keep it healthy and helps regrowth. Keeping hair in cornrows for years will do some damage and hair thins out with age anyway. Cutting it short is a good idea. Looking forward to the tour. Hardschool will appear at some point I’m sure. Would love Breakdown or Don’t Damn Me on the setlist. Still would love Steven back but I’m enjoying GnR again and they’re back to work

I like Steven too but he's always going to be a potential liability waiting to happen at any time (only my honest opinion) and also I don't personally feel he's up to the task of playing the newer stuff already released or very much of what I've heard of the new leaks. In a nutshell, a loose cannon that potentially go off at the most inopportune time. Sad for him but not sad for us. Just not worth the hassle. If I were Axl, I wouldn't want that extra potential bs in my life either

53 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It's just the way it is, he's the singer in a huge band and right or wrong people remember him as the skinny guy running around the stage, so late 50s Axl with a big belly is going to get zero slack. I don't care how he looks, as long as he sings well... but in my opinion he isn't singing that well, and it's largely down to the guy being pretty out of shape. Nobody expects him to look like he did 30yrs ago, but the man has every resource available. If he wanted he could eat like a king and still look great for his age. Look at actors like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise who are both the same age and those guys look 10 years younger, and more than a few belt notches lighter. It's not an age thing, it's diet and exercise thing. 

Not that I want to get into any discussion about health or celebrities, but the guys you are naming have different lives – they didn’t go through drugs, booze, poor sleeping regime during lengthy tours, and generally rockers’ life; also, their living is based on their looks way more than of a rock singer’s; and thirdly, each body is different, you can’t compare even two different people – Brad Pitt may look better, but I’d bet you’d find a different millionaire (rock star or not) of Axl’s age who looks way worse. What if Axl really does take care and this is the actual result – have you thought of that? Maybe he’d look much worse if he didn’t exercise etc., only we don’t get to see that, because he does take care. So, what if this is as good as it gets? 
Etc. I think the main thing is the voice. And that’s another chapter. And I’m not sure it’s connected with the weight as much as people generally seem to think it is. Ten kilos extra don't change your vocal chords. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jordan Rose said:

All youtube videos of the show seem to be getting taken down quickly which suggests those Truth trolls still have access to the copyright account gimmick thing which Fernando had said they didn't anymore :/

Where did he say that? If it's the account on Reddit, I don't believe it's him. That account didn't know who Troccoli was supposedly.

Yes, we're better off not posting any links here, because those sad individuals love to hate on MYGNR.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, TMAC20 said:

name three better that are performing right now 

I’ve seen these 3 in past 6 months and have seen several over my life and I’m talking live not on YouTube or a pro tools album 

Love to heAr your top 3 in the world right now 

1. Joe Bonamassa

2. Eric Gales

3. Slash/Matt FCKN' Pike

My objection is for Slash. He's a MONSTER but not No.1.

Edited by nikosgnr
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, nikosgnr said:

1. Joe Bonamassa

2. Eric Gales

3. Slash/Matt FCKN' Pike

Great 3 

Seen Joe last year - Great Guitar Player 

Not up to par with my 3 though imo 

ive  never seen Eric 

Matt Pike is a badass doom metal player 

not really the lead guitar player I like but he is a badass 

Edited by TMAC20

31 minutes ago, nikosgnr said:

1. Joe Bonamassa

2. Eric Gales

3. Slash/Matt FCKN' Pike

Man, thanks for bringing some recognition to Eric Gales, this guy is a monster, Slash doesn't even hold a candle to that guy (My opinion only :-D). To name some more obvious names: Derek Trucks, Guthrie Govan, ...

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TMAC20 said:

Great 3 

Seen Joe last year - Great Guitar Player 

Not up to par with my 3 though imo 

ive  never seen Eric 

Matt Pike is a badass doom metal player 

not really the lead guitar player I like but he is a badass 

You have to see Eric live! He's amazing.

As for Matt, he's the Lord of Riffs.

3 minutes ago, Lipfel said:

Man, thanks for bringing some recognition to Eric Gales, this guy is a monster, Slash doesn't even hold a candle to that guy (My opinion only :-D). To name some more obvious names: Derek Trucks, Guthrie Govan, ...

Eric is so underrated these days. He's phenomenal. Have a look at that...

I was thinking Derek for No.3 tbh. He's amazing..!

(Sorry for the offtopic)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Not that I want to get into any discussion about health or celebrities, but the guys you are naming have different lives – they didn’t go through drugs, booze, poor sleeping regime during lengthy tours, and generally rockers’ life; also, their living is based on their looks way more than of a rock singer’s; and thirdly, each body is different, you can’t compare even two different people – Brad Pitt may look better, but I’d bet you’d find a different millionaire (rock star or not) of Axl’s age who looks way worse. What if Axl really does take care and this is the actual result – have you thought of that? Maybe he’d look much worse if he didn’t exercise etc., only we don’t get to see that, because he does take care. So, what if this is as good as it gets? 
Etc. I think the main thing is the voice. And that’s another chapter. And I’m not sure it’s connected with the weight as much as people generally seem to think it is. Ten kilos extra don't change your vocal chords. 

I agree about the weight and vocals. Theres plenty of singers that are much heavier now their older and still sound great. To name a few sammy hager, robert plant, rod stewart, james hetfield, robert smith, rob halford, joe elliott, the list goes on.

I think its more about taking care of the voice, not over using it and practicing. Using proper breathing techniques too while singing and bel canto.

The other thing could be vocal chord bleed outs which can occur to many singers. Watch the clip below with Steven tyler getting laser treatment on his damaged chords. I think Axl needs this treatment.

On 22/09/2019 at 8:38 PM, Thorbear said:

Is the setlist containing locomotive, hardschool, dead horse and Benny and The jets as alternative songs from a credible source? I have not seen the original post, just read about it.. 

To me it just seems too much like a fantasy for forum members, I don't know... I am a bit sceptical. 

71496215-499877190591264-610546935184909

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

So basically she is there to add layers of sound to the live show.  She might play along with the songs on her keyboard or trigger the electronics and synths depending on the song.

It isn't uncommon at all for bands to play to backing tracks today in music.  In fact more bands play with backing tracks than play purely live, especially in giant arena/stadium shows.  The difference is with GnR instead of playing to backing tracks they actually have somebody up on stage playing along to the songs to give them a much more layered and enhanced feel. 

Long gone are the days where a guitarist plugs into a Marshall and that's what you get man.  I actually really respect that GnR puts somebody on stage to perform this shit live rather than running it through a protools rig from the side of the stage.

ok so she is basically being Dizzy?

I see in the video she doesn't do much but nod with her head and hit the tambourine.

what does Dizzy do then?

Back in the day, Tracy hit the tambourine and sang too + they sounded a lot better and fuller eg, Paris '92, Buenos Aires '93, Tokyo '92...

Why are they going few steps back!?

Keep Dizzy, fire Mel (and Frank), get back Tracy and Robbie

25 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

71496215-499877190591264-610546935184909

Cool, thank you! 

To be honest, I am not that excited about Dead Horse, So Fine and Locomotive. But it is good to see so many CD songs still in the alternate section, and the fact that Hard School makes an apperance gives me hope for the future.  

• Like 2