09/28/19 - Louisville KY - Louder Than Life Festival

Mega_Music

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I agree with @F*ck Fear, he sounds good on the first 3 songs, DTJ and Wichita Lineman. He usually sounded good-decent on SOYL and Madagascar as well, and a few songs are 50/50 (Jungle, Patience, Don't Cry). But that's not really enough to make a 3 hour show seem good overall... especially when there's songs in the back catalogue that he could probably still sing well. (Bad Obsession, You Ain't The First, Down On The Farm, the acoustic You're Crazy, So Fine and Dust N Bones with Duff, etc). But instead he kept playing Better and You Could Be Mine, Rocket Queen, Yesterdays, This I Love... fuck he was even struggling on Nightrain in 2018. The guy is too stubborn for his own good, he seems to think that the longer the show, the more he can 'pace himself' [Mickey the shit out of the songs], but really, a re-worked 2~ hour set where he sounds consistently good would be better than a 3+ hour set where he sounds good for maybe 25% of the show... but he'd have to rehearse a bunch of his own songs so that's not gonna happen.

It seems like people are either tone deaf, or in denial.

But hey, if they want to shell out their hard earned money to hear a guy who can't sing his own songs that's on them.

The fact he doesn't sing the songs yiu mentioned is a damn shame because like you, I think he would sound great on them!

Edit: 95% Amazing :lol:

Edited by F*ck Fear
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

It's quite simple! There's a difference between good and incredible. In 2010 he sounded incredible. Now he sounds ONLY good. Or to be more specific, he sounds incredible at times and pretty bad at times. On average he sounds good. Of course it's disappointing when you know what Axl's capable of at his best. But you can't deny that no one else could pull of SOYL like Axl still does.

If that's not good, I don't know what is.

That's the only video I've seen where he's singing that song in time with the rest of the band, so I'll give him that :lol:

Side note: Slash's leather pants look ridiculous and very uncomfortable.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I agree with @F*ck Fear, he sounds good on the first 3 songs, DTJ and Wichita Lineman. He usually sounded good-decent on SOYL and Madagascar as well, and a few songs are 50/50 (Jungle, Patience, Don't Cry). But that's not really enough to make a 3 hour show seem good overall... especially when there's songs in the back catalogue that he could probably still sing well. (Bad Obsession, You Ain't The First, Down On The Farm, the acoustic You're Crazy, So Fine and Dust N Bones with Duff, etc). But instead he kept playing Better and You Could Be Mine, Rocket Queen, Yesterdays, This I Love... fuck he was even struggling on Nightrain in 2018. The guy is too stubborn for his own good, he seems to think that the longer the show, the more he can 'pace himself' [Mickey the shit out of the songs], but really, a re-worked 2~ hour set where he sounds consistently good would be better than a 3+ hour set where he sounds good for maybe 25% of the show... but he'd have to rehearse a bunch of his own songs so that's not gonna happen.

ancien10.jpg

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

When he's singing stuff that suits his voice he could sing all day and sound incredible. That's what happened with AC/DC. Those songs fit his voice and that's why he could sing AC/DC all day without starting to sound bad. Out of all GNR songs SOYL is the most like an AC/DC song in the sense that the song is full of screaming from start to finish. That's why he always sounds good on it. When it comes to GNR songs Axl usually sounds good on certain parts of the songs and not that good on other parts of the song, depending on what kind of a voice he has to use. The first songs on the GNR setlist are songs that fit his voice pretty well. He usually sounds good on OTGM too. Wichita Lineman and The Seeker are also songs that are easy for him to sing and nobody can say he sounds bad on those. There's many songs where he sounds great 95% of the song, like Don't Cry, Patience, Nightrain etc... So saying that he sounds like shit on those is a pretty huge exaggeration. When it comes to the clean high voice that some people don't like, there's technically nothing wrong with that voice either. I'd say that voice suits certain songs, but of course it's a matter of taste.

So Axl can sing Brian-Johnson-screeching-like-a-dying-cat type stuff, which would be very taxing on the voice 2-3 hours a night, but not his own actual songs?

It makes even less sense when you say he's able to sing songs because they are screaming start to finish, but also point out that he does in fact sound good on songs that are the complete opposite, such as Wichita Lineman. Wouldn't that mean everything suits his voice?

He clearly just phones it in to save his voice, only pulling out the rasp when he's in the mood to impress, such as the AC/DC gig, because he can still nail it when he actually tries.

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'll never understand why he even still bothers to sing Yesterdays... Mickey as fuck.

It's not even a tricky song, he sounds infinitely better on much more difficult songs. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to sing it in his normal register.

12 hours ago, Muddy said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if a single was dropped around that time and used and promoted in the new terminator movie that’s coming out November 1st. 

This would be nostalgic and a great way to kick off the hype machine. 

However, recent Terminator films have been dog shit so maybe it's not the best thing for them to tie themselves to? Who knows if they'll release a good one this time around, Christian bales Terminator was the only good one outside if T1 and 2.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

So Axl can sing Brian-Johnson-screeching-like-a-dying-cat type stuff, which would be very taxing on the voice 2-3 hours a night, but not his own actual songs?

For a normal person it would be taxing on the voice. But Axl's in his comfort zone when he's screaming. Sure, Hell's Bells is a though one even for Axl, because of the super high pitched screams. But most of the screaming songs are easy for him. He always sounds good on them. Not only when he's trying to make an impression. The songs where he can sing in his natural voice are probably the easiest for him to sing, but the screaming songs are a close second.

7 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

It makes even less sense when you say he's able to sing songs because they are screaming start to finish, but also point out that he does in fact sound good on songs that are the complete opposite, such as Wichita Lineman. Wouldn't that mean everything suits his voice?

Is this a serious question? So you admit that you know absolutely nothing about singing? A singing voice is a hell of a lot more complicated thing than (either you sound good when you scream or you sound good when you sing normally). I mean you got to be trolling. Cause I doubt you honestly think it's so black and white.

Everyone's voice is different. Did you know that? Did you also know that there are things like a tenor voice, a baritone voice and a basso voice? Some people sing better when they sing in high pitch and some people sing better in low pitch. Did you know that? Cause it seems like you know nothing about this. Why do you think Wichita Lineman suits Axl's voice? Could it be cause he can sing it in his natural voice? He doesn't have to sing it in a much higher voice. Oh my, when you look at other songs that Axl sings like Don't Cry and Patience, he always sounds good when he's singing in his natural voice. It's only the parts when he's singing in a much higher pitch, when his voice becomes weird.

Seriously, this is not rocket science. Axl's trademark high pitched voice is gone. When he's singing in a high pitched voice he sounds good only when he screams. When he's trying to sing in a high pitched voice with his singing voice, not his screaming voice, he always sounds bad, unless you happen to like that clean high pitched voice. Nothing about this should be complicated. I can't believe I even have to explain this. You only need to watch live videos to see, what kind of singing fits Axl's voice and what kind of songs don't.

Yes, Axl's voice is currently in a conditions when AC/DC songs fit his voice much better than the songs that he wrote for GNR earlier in his career.

Looks like Saturday VIP is sold out for right now. I was thinking about seeing if there was a way that I could upgrade from the regular tickets to VIP, but I think I am going to be fine with just keeping regular GA. I am sure there will be plenty of opportunity to see them later on in the next year or two, that is not outside, around a bunch of other closely crowded sweaty people.

15 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Niven tells Lafon that he wouldn't be surprised at a genuine reunion in KY

I take that with with a huge grain of salt. Who knows, maybe Monday the gnr twitter page wishes izzy a happy Birthday. I mean slash did it to axl in 2015 and that reunion eventually happened

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gambit83 said:

Niven is kept at arm's reach, are we honestly supposed to believe Slash is spilling his guts to this guy who no 1 goes out publicly and says "this is what Slash said to me in my last PRIVATE conversation with him" and no 2 spent years ripping everything guns did, including the NITL tour... No, no he's not. He tells him a few bits, he probably even likes Niven! But this is business and Slash has always been smart about his business... That means don't tell people important things if they can't be trusted. Niven just likes seeing his name in headlines and gnr are a great vehicle for that.

Whatever Niven says is opinion based on the fact he knew them 30yrs ago and gets to text with them or see them on tour stops every so often. He's not an insider and I doubt he has very many links to the inside that supply him with any real info. I don't take him serious, and nobody else should either, outside of when he's just retelling history... And even then the guy is bitter as hell how he got fired from the band so his story on that has a few questions marks!

As for a genuine reunion. Why? They don't need to for the money, the touring sales were strong to the end of NITL. What reason other than nostangia would be making them decide now us the time? Because you know that Axl and co think the band is currently great, so I really don't know what reason they have to go full reunion... Unless of course the money offer for all 5 was stupendous! And if that was the case I think the festival would want to insure their investment by adding Guns N' Roses 'original AFD line up'. Not happening, outside of MAYBE a handful of songs!

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Niven is kept at arm's reach, are we honestly supposed to believe Slash is spilling his guts to this guy who no 1 goes out publicly and says "this is what Slash said to me in my last PRIVATE conversation with him" and no 2 spent years ripping everything guns did, including the NITL tour... No, no he's not. He tells him a few bits, he probably even likes Niven! But this is business and Slash has always been smart about his business... That means don't tell people important things if they can't be trusted. Niven just likes seeing his name in headlines and gnr are a great vehicle for that.

Whatever Niven says is opinion based on the fact he knew them 30yrs ago and gets to text with them or see them on tour stops every so often. He's not an insider and I doubt he has very many links to the inside that supply him with any real info. I don't take him serious, and nobody else should either, outside of when he's just retelling history... And even then the guy is bitter as hell how he got fired from the band so his story on that has a few questions marks!

As for a genuine reunion. Why? They don't need to for the money, the touring sales were strong to the end of NITL. What reason other than nostangia would be making them decide now us the time? Because you know that Axl and co think the band is currently great, so I really don't know what reason they have to go full reunion... Unless of course the money offer for all 5 was stupendous! And if that was the case I think the festival would want to insure their investment by adding Guns N' Roses 'original AFD line up'. Not happening, outside of MAYBE a handful of songs!

And an AFD reunion rather than guest spot would just mean the record would be delayed EVEN further. No, thanks. I do love Izzy though.

7 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

For a normal person it would be taxing on the voice. But Axl's in his comfort zone when he's screaming. Sure, Hell's Bells is a though one even for Axl, because of the super high pitched screams. But most of the screaming songs are easy for him. He always sounds good on them. Not only when he's trying to make an impression. The songs where he can sing in his natural voice are probably the easiest for him to sing, but the screaming songs are a close second.

Is this a serious question? So you admit that you know absolutely nothing about singing? A singing voice is a hell of a lot more complicated thing than (either you sound good when you scream or you sound good when you sing normally). I mean you got to be trolling. Cause I doubt you honestly think it's so black and white.

Everyone's voice is different. Did you know that? Did you also know that there are things like a tenor voice, a baritone voice and a basso voice? Some people sing better when they sing in high pitch and some people sing better in low pitch. Did you know that? Cause it seems like you know nothing about this. Why do you think Wichita Lineman suits Axl's voice? Could it be cause he can sing it in his natural voice? He doesn't have to sing it in a much higher voice. Oh my, when you look at other songs that Axl sings like Don't Cry and Patience, he always sounds good when he's singing in his natural voice. It's only the parts when he's singing in a much higher pitch, when his voice becomes weird.

Seriously, this is not rocket science. Axl's trademark high pitched voice is gone. When he's singing in a high pitched voice he sounds good only when he screams. When he's trying to sing in a high pitched voice with his singing voice, not his screaming voice, he always sounds bad, unless you happen to like that clean high pitched voice. Nothing about this should be complicated. I can't believe I even have to explain this. You only need to watch live videos to see, what kind of singing fits Axl's voice and what kind of songs don't.

Yes, Axl's voice is currently in a conditions when AC/DC songs fit his voice much better than the songs that he wrote for GNR earlier in his career.

Woah, calm down dude lol

4 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Woah, calm down dude lol

I'd like to know the psychology behind these kind of responses. Do people feel threatened by good argumentation, so they feel like they're been attacked, no matter how calmly you try to explain your views. :shrugs:

21 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

The fact he doesn't sing the songs yiu mentioned is a damn shame because like you, I think he would sound great on them!

Nah! You would not enjoy current Axl's version of Your Crazy. Trust me! Axl can't do the high pitched raspy singing it requires. Perhaps the fast version might work for you though cause it's full of screaming.

22 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Edit: 95% Amazing :lol:

Patience for example has like about 5 seconds of Axl's clean voice. Other than that he sounds like 2010 Axl throughout the whole song. Hence 95% amazing. Facts are facts and they don't change no matter how many laughing emojies you use in your posts.

8 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

😂😂😂 I don't know whether to laugh at Niven or feel sorry for him.

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Slash (and Izzy) are the only ones that he's still in touch with, but yeah Slash isn't telling him any secrets.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:26 AM, grogmug said:

It’s happening. This is where I live, and a couple of people have slipped up on the announcement. 

Grogmug, would those people know anything about the likelihood of Izzy/Steven being a part of it?

On 06/04/2019 at 11:03 AM, grogmug said:

Trying to figure out if VIP is worth it. I'm reading that you have front access to the Oak Stage if you buy VIP, but is this where Guns will be playing, since they will have three stages going? I'm about to pull the trigger, but I think that makes or breaks it being worth it. 

Do you meet the band?. If not no.

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

I wouldn't be surprised if those festival gigs would be the usual NITL shows. 

After the new interview where Slash confirmed they haven’t done jack shit it seems like a safe bet. Hell, they may even use the NITL tour branding for these shows.

• Sad 1

On 4/5/2019 at 10:11 AM, kiwiguns said:

Is there some sort of set rules you have to follow in the entertainment industry that states you do what everyone else does. 

If thats the case Axl would have TMZ on speed dial to tell them were he is so he can profit off the publicity himself. Axl would Tweet and Instagram all his daily movements, Marry one of the Kardashians, Guns N Roses to appear at the Grammy awards preforming with Post Malone or some rapper, either Axl or Slash appear in a leaked sex tape (claim it was via a hack) than profit from its sales even though they themselves were behind the leak. 

Thats not Rock N Roll.

Or you could do meet and greets like some other bands and sell guitars, amps, the gum you chewed on stage, the water bottel you drank from while on stage or your underwear you wore that night for a 5 min meet and greet and the purchase of any of those items for 10k.

You can say alot of things about GNR but i personally am glad they do thing's there own way, still to this day not following what everyone else does.

Axl wore tiny white bicycle shorts and kilts. 

Elvis, Little Richard, Elton John, Bowie, Mercury, Page, Plant. All did thing's differently from what others were doing. Thats Rock N Roll.

Totally agree. Guns has reuinited after 20 years, how somebody could ask for more? There might be complains during Axl & Co years, as they could have been pleasing fans with something intresting other than reuniting, but now I easily get it and the things go in the way, which I wouldn't change for any pro-fans activities. For sure, their "publicity" could be more fans-oriented, but still, they have created an atmosphere some sort of a mystery, so every event or news is valuable. Long live GNR.

Edited by nikothebellic