09/28/19 - Louisville KY - Louder Than Life Festival

Mega_Music

43 minutes ago, DK6 said:

He's doing his own version though.

It's like when people are complaining that Slash isn't copying the solos on better, this i love and sorry. 

Why have Slash or Axl in a band and expect them to just copy the previous versions of songs?

What a waste of talent.

I always want them to improvise and change the song in a way they are comfortable with.

I love Axls vocals in the chorus of slither especially. He harmonises for Duff who is singing the more "traditional" version of the chorus..

I think it sounds amazing.

Your logic makes sense on the chorus but not the verses.. He just stumbles and it is obvious he just doesn't know the song well enough.. It is one think making a song his own and it kicking ass like they did with KOHD back in the day but it is different when it just doesn't sound good to most people's ears..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I wish they'd leave the CD demos alone and release a proper boxset of it. That whole era needs closure and we, fans of said era, should get to listen to the songs as they were intented to be. Write a brand new album from scratch. The NITL lineup has nothing to do with that era, and the comeback album shouldn't have material written by CD-era members. That would be an insult to Slash and Duff IMO. Get Izzy on board for writing at least, FFS.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but, to be fair, there were numerous songs released among the first 4 albums that originally had nothing to do with some of the AFD5 or UYI band members too.

For example, "Anything Goes", "Reckless Life", "Move to the City" and "Shadow of Your Love" were conceived while Tracii Guns, Rob Gardner and Ole Beich were in the band. Yet those songs were eventually re-worked or updated then officially released by different band members, notably SLASH, DUFF and STEVEN. Additionally MATT recorded a lot of material STEVEN was originally involved with on the UYI albums.

What would the difference be in doing the same with any of the un-released CD material?

To be clear, as a fan I'm with you with regard to preferring brand new material "from scratch". All I'm pointing out is that some of the songs we grew up with went through a similar process in terms of being re-recorded or improved upon by band members that weren't part of the origins of them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

He sings it so.............weird, I guess is the best way I can put it. He should be able to nail it. It's nowhere near out of his range. He just sings it way weired than he needs to. 

Agreed. It is different, and a bit strange. But at least we finally got to hear it. Remember there was a time (pun intended!) that many of us were just hoping they'd finally perform it at a live show, once we knew it was on the ALT setlist.

So, while I agree with you guys about how AXL performs it, it's hard for me to be overly critical.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Drama said:

The part in the first verse is literally wrong. It’s not like he listened to the song and was like “You know what would sound better here? Stumbling these words.” Don’t make it sound like an intentional choice.

The first verse of every version they've ever done?? Wow!!

Stumbling of words is obviously very different to what I'm talking about. That's a mistake.

When the verses are sung correctly they're fine. 

When the chorus is sung correctly it's brilliant.

Unfortunately he's voice hasn't been going so well on a few versions so they've not sounded so great.

But you can't pick those out alone as proof that he can't sing the song properly.

He's stuffed up every GNR song at one point or another. That happens - it doesn't mean he can't sing.

When I'm talking about his own version of the song I'm pretty obviously talking about the chorus (as that is clearly different to the original) so yes I am definitely saying it's an intentional choice.

Just an observation from someone who has just 'found' GNA..

I have read that 'in the day' Axyl did not adhere to a set-list but enjoyed the spontaneity    of signing what he felt at the moment.  Now the exact opposite  happens as in many other areas of Axyl's performance  and demeanor which I believe is due to his having learnt to manage his 'mental distress' which could have killed him otherwise.  

It has always been an irony that creativity  fuelled by the flame of  mental torture has been the brightest star only to explode in such a short space of time.   Byron,  Virginia Wolf, Van gough...to name a few, but they leave us with a precious legacy for mankind to enjoy.

We have no idea what Axyl has to go through to get himself up there and sing, I suspect an awful lot.  I hope he now has some peace of mind and found a 'life worth living'  the same set-list over and over again.

"Madagascar" sounded killer live. The sound quality at Louder than Life was top notch.  Very impressed by it all day.

But, man. By the time the encore came on, I moved back to get a little breathing room. I was in the "pit" from like 2 p.m. till 10:45 p.m. and it was exhausting. Lots of mosh pits breaking out, crowd surfing, and shoulder to shoulder.

Anyway, from afar, GNR sounded even better than when I was a few rows up. I wished I was inebriated watching "madagascar." So, so epic.

The crowd was getting unruly during the long wait for GNR to come on. It was 95 degrees. People were tired. Godsmack was supposed to end at 8:25 on the adjacent stage, but they went a little long. Maybe till like 8:35. Still, GNR's logo came on the screen soon thereafter, but the graphics kept replaying over and over. I heard people saying stuff like, "There's gonna be another riot" and at one point around ten to 9, the crowd started chanting "bullshit" and "start the show."

Axl sounded uneven on the first several songs. I thought the worst I ever heard him sound of all the shows I went to. But he was also higher in the mix than usual when I'm standing that close. ANYWAY, after he warmed up a bit, he was killin' it. Banger after banger. I had no problems with the set list. Didn't expect "Hard School" during a fest set. The crowd popped for "Black Hole Sun" even though I don't care for it. Fest crowds like familiarity. 

Sort of weird all the "dead horse" lithos, shirts, and being in Kentucky and you'd think since it's on the alt set list, they would have played it. I mean, if ever there was a time, right?

Axl also seemed to talk way more than usual. He seemed to be in a great mood. I can't wait for the next show!

3 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

"Madagascar" sounded killer live. The sound quality at Louder than Life was top notch.  Very impressed by it all day.

But, man. By the time the encore came on, I moved back to get a little breathing room. I was in the "pit" from like 2 p.m. till 10:45 p.m. and it was exhausting. Lots of mosh pits breaking out, crowd surfing, and shoulder to shoulder.

Anyway, from afar, GNR sounded even better than when I was a few rows up. I wished I was inebriated watching "madagascar." So, so epic.

The crowd was getting unruly during the long wait for GNR to come on. It was 95 degrees. People were tired. Godsmack was supposed to end at 8:25 on the adjacent stage, but they went a little long. Maybe till like 8:35. Still, GNR's logo came on the screen soon thereafter, but the graphics kept replaying over and over. I heard people saying stuff like, "There's gonna be another riot" and at one point around ten to 9, the crowd started chanting "bullshit" and "start the show."

Axl sounded uneven on the first several songs. I thought the worst I ever heard him sound of all the shows I went to. But he was also higher in the mix than usual when I'm standing that close. ANYWAY, after he warmed up a bit, he was killin' it. Banger after banger. I had no problems with the set list. Didn't expect "Hard School" during a fest set. The crowd popped for "Black Hole Sun" even though I don't care for it. Fest crowds like familiarity. 

Sort of weird all the "dead horse" lithos, shirts, and being in Kentucky and you'd think since it's on the alt set list, they would have played it. I mean, if ever there was a time, right?

Axl also seemed to talk way more than usual. He seemed to be in a great mood. I can't wait for the next show!

Agreed on all, but I didn't expect Dead Horse at all. They used a Dust N' Bones lyric on the Milwaukee poster and we all knew that wasn't coming. I cringed when the opening keyboards of Black Hole Sun started, but the crowd loved it! Soundgarden is in my top 5 favorite bands ever, but I've always disliked that song. Axl has the pipes to do something other than that from SG. We were about 50 yards back and people were getting really pissed the longer the wait went...it could've gotten pretty bad if they waited a little longer. Axl smiled throughout the entire show and joked around more than I can remember. People can be upset about the setlists, his appearance, etc, but he really seems to be in a great place mentally right now, and that's a very good thing.

Edited by GoBucky
  • Like 2

On 9/28/2019 at 8:31 PM, ChildOfTheMoon said:

How’s the band?

The band sounded terrific.  Slash :slash2: is always the highlight. 

As people have said:

1.  Phone service was terrible.  I gave up trying to post comments & pics.  

2.  Axl varied between strong and wavering, but mostly sounded decent.

3.  It seems that Frank has found a better groove.  No complaints.  The band was tight. 

4.  Rocket Queen & KOHD are toooo long.  I love Coma, though.  

5.  Coming on stage late was not good.  The difference in crowd energy between standing around for almost 45 minutes, or the next night when Disturbed teed off right after Rob Zombie, was huge.  The late start probably contributed to the crowd thinning out well before the end.  Also, nobody knew to chant "Guns and Roses" to get an encore.  :lol:  Which of course they played anyway.  

5.  I read that some people thought Axl was lip syncing.  What may have happened was that Melissa and/or Duff were occasionally singing the melody with Axl.  When he snapped the mic down, I did notice once or twice that the note continued and those two were at their mics.

6.  This was my third show of the never-ending tour, and they do mix it up some.  I liked Madagascar with the spoken lyrics on screen this time.  The guy I was with was glad to hear Patience, which we didn't get at Chicago I in 2016.  We both thought that Axl does justice to Wichita Lineman, although most of the crowd didn't seem to recognize it.  Axl was prowling the stage with a gleam in his eye, and I really enjoyed his Slash intro.  

7.  It was hot, there wasn't much breeze, and by the end of the night my feet were killing me.  The crowd surfers were crazy.  I was up toward the front for Ice Cube, and even closer to the stage for Godsmack, but it was too hot, crowded, and loud!  I abandoned my post rock3 and enjoyed GnR from the mid-back, sliding forward as the crowd thinned.  The stage side screens visuals were big, and the sound mix was clear, so it was all good!

• Like 3

On 9/30/2019 at 4:46 PM, Tyler Drama said:

There are multiple issues with Slither. The first one is the fact that he doesn’t sing the first verse correctly, at this part:

That's the spot where you run to me
Might see some type of pleasure in my mind

The next issue is the chorus, for two reasons.

One, he is obviously singing a harmony he created and letting Duff take the lead melody. Duff’s microphone isn’t as loud so you’re getting mostly Axl-harmony, sung with very little “rasp” in the voice. 

Two, he’s singing the chorus with a sort-of “swing” style rhythm, instead of the straight-forward way it was written. Duff is trying to sing it the correct way while Axl is extending vowels and shortening others.

The final issue is the post-solo bridge part:

When you look you see right through me
Cut the rope, fell to my knees
Born and Bloodied
Every single time

Once again, he just created his own melody instead of singing it the way it was written. I love when artists make songs their own, but I just don’t think it works in this song. This is just my own opinion and analysis, as a fan.

Interesting commentary. Actually, I sort of love the way they perform "Slither." Axl does something similar on "Paradise City." Duff and Melissa sing it more in melody with the studio recording while Axl wails on top of it in a slightly different melody.

• Like 1

I was having a great time a couple rows from the front when a crowd surfer kicked me in the back of the head. I got really dizzy and had to get out of there, then came the puking and the fuzzy feeling in my head. So I went to the EMS tent where I was told no I could not have an Ice pack heres a bottle of water if your head feels bad go to the ER. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Stlconcerts said:

I was having a great time a couple rows from the front when a crowd surfer kicked me in the back of the head. I got really dizzy and had to get out of there, then came the puking and the fuzzy feeling in my head. So I went to the EMS tent where I was told no I could not have an Ice pack heres a bottle of water if your head feels bad go to the ER. 

Hope you're OK now!

The gig was great 

Axl sounded great to me 

Slash is the show - Badass 

It was hot - we waited until up in the day to leave for the Venue- got their for the last song from cube - 1 to many 

We worked our way around the crowd and got on Slash’s side while Godsmack Played the other stage 

We got about 25 to 30 people back - great view and sound - we used our years of going to festivals to manipulate our way to a great spot 

middle of Gnr set we’re about 10 feet from the stage 

Slash and Axl killed it 

loved it 

• GNFNR 2

On 9/29/2019 at 8:09 PM, mikeman5150 said:

At the show people were crowd surfing the whole time. Out of the 20 shows I’ve seen, this one ranks top 3 for crowd intensity. At least from where I was at

Does anyone know how many people were actually there last night. It was packed up front.

It was well over 40,000. They announced the entire weekend at 129,000 and  Saturday was their biggest attended day. No specific numbers for Saturday though. 

Edited by 1980Invasion
  • Like 1

On 29-9-2019 at 9:59 PM, Draguns said:

If you think it's a "snooze fest", why are you on here commenting? Are you one of those that watches all the shows on YouTube then criticizes every little thing? 

No, just one glance at a setlist will do nowadays. It's not like things have changed much since the "reunion" started.