ChiDem Live Performances

It doesn't seem like NITL will feature anymore ChiDem songs that haven't already been played, except maybe Street of Dreams. This also might mean we'll never again hear those songs live. 

When were the last performances of Shackler's, SOD, ITW, Scraped & IRS ? (I already know Riad hasn't been played since '02) 

Just now, Jordan Rose said:

SoD would have been an obvious choice for the NITL lineup to play and the fact they haven't once and it hasn't been a setlist alt strongly suggest @RussTCB is right and it's about Slash. 

Why would they play Sorry and This I Love then? Aren’t those both CLEARLY about Slash also? Certainly feels that way.

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

Why would they play Sorry and This I Love then? Aren’t those both CLEARLY about Slash also? Certainly feels that way.

Axl very specifically said Sorry is "not about someone I used to know" and talked in vague terms about it being aspects of fans/critics. 

I've never heard anyone ever suggest TIL was about Slash, unless you being sarcastic? First talked about by Axl in 1993. 

SoD lyrics can be read in a non-romantic way. It could fit Slash. TIL no chance.

7 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Axl very specifically said Sorry is "not about someone I used to know" and talked in vague terms about it being aspects of fans/critics. 

I've never heard anyone ever suggest TIL was about Slash, unless you being sarcastic? First talked about by Axl in 1993. 

SoD lyrics can be read in a non-romantic way. It could fit Slash. TIL no chance.

My apologies. I meant Madagascar. Not This I Love. :lol:

9 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

But he does YCBM & Coma? :question:

He’s kinda obligated to sing YCBM whether he even can or not.

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

My apologies. I meant Madagascar. Not This I Love. :lol:

Sure, and it's definitely kinda weird Axl singing "I'm free of all the chains we held together' with Slash and Duff right there and the "promised never to leave me..." But it's not like a criticism, much less burial of them. I mean "This whole thing is fucked up....failure to communicate." There isn't a negative line that would make it too awkward to play and Slash seems to enjoy playing it from his stage antics to talking about how they changed it up. 

SoD on the other hand...."what I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore....just one more failure."

2 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Sure, and it's definitely kinda weird Axl singing "I'm free of all the chains we held together' with Slash and Duff right there and the "promised never to leave me..." But it's not like a criticism, much less burial of them. I mean "This whole thing is fucked up....failure to communicate." There isn't a negative line that would make it too awkward to play and Slash seems to enjoy playing it from his stage antics to talking about how they changed it up. 

SoD on the other hand...."what I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore....just one more failure."

Very good points indeed!

so do you think that means we will never hear the NITL lineup doing Hardschool? Or have it on the next album?

8 minutes ago, surforia said:

There was a rumor back in ‘08 that Sorry was about Steven Adler.  Can’t remember where I heard it.

Interesting. In the chats he kind of implied it was at least in part about the fans. To me it's always seemed like the verses are directed at critics/ex-members and the chorus to the fans. 

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Very good points indeed!

so do you think that means we will never hear the NITL lineup doing Hardschool? Or have it on the next album?

Has everyone decided it's definitely about Slash then? I hadn't really thought about it that much yet? If it is then fuck, who knows? Maybe the version we've got is all we'll ever hear til Axl's dead or maybe they'll play it on Saturday.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Axl would have a stroke singing IRS now

Thing is, most of Chinese is sung in the clean voice he re-trained and used live in 2001-2002. IRS would have sounded fucking awesome in 2002 and he would have been able to do the scream. Same for Twat and Prostitute. In 2006-10 IRS sounded great being chainsawed but he traded rasp for that insane top end and we didn't get the album screams. Now he's got neither of those voices so yeah, stuff like IRS, let alone Rhiad or Scraped or Shacklers would be hell for him.

Then again,  another place is saying he's coming back super fit. If new music's coming and he's got something to prove then who knows what he might have left in the tank. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jordan Rose said:

Thing is, most of Chinese is sung in the clean voice he re-trained and used live in 2001-2002. IRS would have sounded fucking awesome in 2002 and he would have been able to do the scream. Same for Twat and Prostitute. In 2006-10 IRS sounded great being chainsawed but he traded rasp for that insane top end and we didn't get the album screams. Now he's got neither of those voices so yeah, stuff like IRS, let alone Rhiad or Scraped or Shacklers would be hell for him.

Then again,  another place is saying he's coming back super fit. If new music's coming and he's got something to prove then who knows what he might have left in the tank. 

I heard Shackler's in 2012 & It sounded fantastic!! I totally believe Axl could pull it off today.

Just now, Jordan Rose said:

I'm way oversimplifying and generalising. You may be right although 2012 and 2018 is a big difference. Dude had to retire TIL. 

Yeah, but what really confuses me is why he struggles with certain songs when there isn't really a clear indication on the "why" if that makes sense

Just now, 2020_Intensions said:

Yeah, but what really confuses me is why he struggles with certain songs when there isn't really a clear indication on the "why" if that makes sense

Totally. And likewise he comes out and does Shadow or kills it with Billy Joel. I've probably spent about 500 hours on this forum chasing my tail trying to figure out how his voice works. I'm fingers crossed for Saturday. Could be another first show 2006/2009.