Quick Song & Zodiac Instrumentals *NO LINKS OR REQUESTS*

45 minutes ago, Roush said:

Axl, you fucking did a killer job expanding the GNR brand with these different songs. I don't know why they weren't released sooner.

Perhaps label politics played a part? 

Would've been better to get the record outta your system in 1999 and move on with subsequent albums. Atlas is a more mature ballad, Hard School is a solid throwback, Perhaps is catchy, and Zodiac is killer. 

What the hell Geffen?

It wasn’t Geffen. By that point it was UMG 

7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Having now had a chance to have heard them:

Quick Song: now I fully believe that rumor that slash secretly recorded a solo for this in 2016. In fact, I think this might be the song he “planted the seed for” in the mid 90s that Fortus talked about. It sounds just like him. Fucking great!

Zodiac: I thought my headphones were breaking in the beginning when it was doing that “glitch” sound after the piano intro. Cool song. Didn’t blow me away like Quick Song, but I still hope to hear it with vocals. Definitely has potential!

New Atlas: Definitely a more “professional”-sounding mix but honestly I think I prefer the raw “drums up” one more.

the rest doesn’t really matter (pun intended).

Maybe!

I too, get Slash vibes from Quick song... and have even more respect for Robin now, who obviously tried to find the perfect balance between his own style and the GN'R vibe on many of these songs, especially that one.

I'm certain that Quick song started out before Slash left... just sounds like his style in so many parts.

Add another album to the list of things I'm dying to hear...

Unreleased 96 album sessions w/ Illusions tour lineup and Paul

99 Chinese

01 Chinese

06 Chinese...

2019 has without a doubt proven to be the strangest year to be a GNR fan, even more than Slash N Duff coming back.

I always believed this stuff existed, but I never thought I would actually get to hear it. 

3 months ago nobody would have believed this would happen surely.

1 hour ago, jip said:

Anybody else noticing a very Slither-like riff in Quick Song?...especially the ending riff....it needs another note and its almost the same riff

yeah, I've heard it. Thought I was imaging it till I saw your post. Its amazing how well of a machine Axl had built if he got the band to "predict" how Slash and Duff would have sounded like even before even they sounded like it.

Also kudos to Finck for being so versatile. Its sad that only now after 15 years we get to appreciate him for what he did. And the sad thing is... his parts may end up re-recorded by Slash, completely obscuring his contributions :(

Edited by username05
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, username05 said:

yeah, I've heard it. Thought I was imaging it till I saw your post. Its amazing how well of a machine Axl had built if he got the band to "predict" how Slash and Duff would have sounded even before even they sounded like it. 

Or slash n duff wrote the earliest parts of it, and then just took it with them when they left & put it in Slither. Don't know how that would work legally but it's basically what happened with "5 oclock somewhere"

5 minutes ago, Creed said:

it could be a song from the 1996 sessions as well. 

it would have been mentioned in the 97-99 interviews. And it would have had lyrics written and recorded by 200x 
Madagascar and TIL were only ones mentioned pre 99. 

5 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

Or slash n duff wrote the earliest parts of it, and then just took it with them when they left & put it in Slither. Don't know how that would work legally but it's basically what happened with "5 oclock somewhere"

if probably would have lyrics written and recorded by 200x. And would be a part of the '99 demo set. but you make a good point. I wonder what had happened with Zakk Wylde recordings. As for 96 seasons.. 12000 hours worth of material was once mentioned. Would be interesting to know what had happened with it. But I think Axl would need some sort of permision, since he had to ask Izzy for permission to continue work on "Down by the ocean".

Edited by username05

All these years, the only thing we've known about Quicksong is that it has a riff similar to Smells Like Teen Spirit and what do you know... it's actually true! Really weird hearing these songs after all these years. I guess I was expecting Quick Song to be a little quicker. But it's cool nevertheless. Would love to hear it with vocals.

10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The version of Atlas from this disc is the best we've got so far, too. :headbang:

The biggest draw for me with the other version is how punchy the drums are. Sure, the mix is better on this one, but I just love the instrumentation in the other version. I feel as if the drums tear my face off in a beautiful kind of way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, username05 said:

yeah, I've heard it. Thought I was imaging it till I saw your post. Its amazing how well of a machine Axl had built if he got the band to "predict" how Slash and Duff would have sounded like even before even they sounded like it.

Also kudos to Finck for being so versatile. Its sad that only now after 15 years we get to appreciate him for what he did. 

Slither's riff shares some WTTJ attributes. I remember Slash saying that when he came up with the Slither riff he played it to the rest of the band and no one was excited or thought it was as good as Slash thought it was.

Robin always liked AC/DC and Zeppelin but can also do the industrial thing like few others can plus he likes piano/keys and has a fairly good grasp on it playing wise.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

Slither's riff shares some WTTJ attributes. I remember Slash saying that when he came up with the Slither riff he played it to the rest of the band and no one was excited or thought it was as good as Slash thought it was.

Robin always liked AC/DC and Zeppelin but can also do the industrial thing like few others can plus he can likes piano/keys and has a fairly good grasp on it playing wise.

dont mind me. I've been in fincks camp since forever :) Like his down to earthiness. 

In a way I'm glad that Quicksong and Zodiac don't have vocals. Cause I actually believe that many of these songs will be released officially and I really don't want TOO much spoilers. I don't want the same thing to happen with CD2 that happened with CD1, that pretty much every song had already leaked and when you finally got the album you had already heard it. At the same time it's really difficult to not listen to these cause there's no official statement of when they're planning to release a new album.

• Like 1

These two are really amazing! I think the passage from 2:15 on in Quick Song is my new favourite music section of all the leaks, love the Trampled Under Foot-Keys with the overdriven Guitar. Little Tidbit, in the second solo, Robin uses the exact same guitarlick he uses in the first PC Solo live in 2002.
Also towards the "Robin likes LZ"-comment: I remember seeing a video of him performing Ten Years Gone and Rain Song while his wife was performing to it, sounded also really nice!

Also, hearing a little 5/4 in Guns is never wrong ;)

Edited by Lipfel
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lipfel said:

These two are really amazing! I think the passage from 2:15 on in Quick Song is my new favourite music section of all the leaks, love the Trampled Under Foot-Keys with the overdriven Guitar. Little Tidbit, in the second solo, Robin uses the exact same guitarlick he uses in the first PC Solo live in 2002.
Also towards the "Robin likes LZ"-comment: I remember seeing a video of him performing Ten Years Gone and Rain Song while his wife was performing to it, sounded also really nice!

I think it was led zeppelin 40 years anniversary... led zaerial or smthn like that. Page and plant were in audience IIRc. 

9 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

In a way I'm glad that Quicksong and Zodiac don't have vocals. Cause I actually believe that many of these songs will be released officially and I really don't want TOO much spoilers. I don't want the same thing to happen with CD2 that happened with CD1, that pretty much every song had already leaked and when you finally got the album you had already heard it. At the same time it's really difficult to not listen to these cause there's no official statement of when they're planning to release a new album.

You just gotta have the mindset that we aint getting shit. Like, I'd love to believe stuff will come out and I think the chances have gone up since the reunion but its been over 10 years since CD and nothing. I have restraint but not that much :lol:

2 minutes ago, AxlIsGod. said:

You just gotta have the mindset that we aint getting shit. Like, I'd love to believe stuff will come out and I think the chances have gone up since the reunion but its been over 10 years since CD and nothing. I have restraint but not that much :lol:

Then again, when CD1 was released, I actually managed to restrain myself from listening to a couple of the leaks BECAUSE I had the mindset that we are getting the album eventually. And I'm super glad that I didn't spoil everything for myself then. But the only reason why I could restrain myself back then was cause I did the exact opposite that you're advising me to do now. :lol:

This version of TWAT has been leaked before.

Quick Song is probably the closest I can imagine Slash participating.

Damn Ax with all these gems. So many years lost for nothing..

Any idea who's on Quick & Zodiac? Bucket? Also the best drummer GNR ever had (a.k.a. Brain)?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, username05 said:

dont mind me. I've been in fincks camp since forever :) Like his down to earthiness. 

A bit off topic but have you heard this Robin composition for No Code? (video game) in the comments section someone said how the guitar from 0:55 to 1:26 sounds like a screaming man in extreme pain. I thought it was an accurate description. Very cool.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1