Eye On You - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

5 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Why would it be awful?? They are known for their bluesy hard rock. Maybe do a little bit experimentation but not much. If Axl wants to experiment further then release a solo album at some point.

You NEVER want to drift too far from your strong point. Besides there are better music artist for this type of music if you are into it. 

Because it's  not the 1980s any more? Time moves on- hopefully their music will have too. Most bands push their sounds forwards- The Beatles are the very obvious example of that. They definitely had people telling them not to "drift too far from their strong point" when they were banging out old rock and roll standards, ignored it all and moved their sound forwards massively with every release they made. 

I agree there probably are better examples of more industrial music, but complaining about a band doing something  that's "not what you're used to hearing" is madness. That's the domain of all those naff old rock bands from the 80s LA scene who still do the rounds on those package tours. GNR are better than that! 

• GNFNR 1

16 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Bad idea to ask me to mute one of my all time favorite soundtracks and replace it with this silly GNR demo. Makes the song sound even worse than it actually is.

I mean the song has potential for sure. But as it is, it's just not a good song. I don't even mind the whole Mac Daddy thing. Maybe they are placeholder lyrics or maybe they are background vocals, I don't know. Obviously it's not even close to a finished song. So I don't hate it. It's just so unfinished that it doesn't interest me much.

That interstellar soundtrack though... That's some of the best music ever created.

thats what people were talking about better demo when it first got released. 

16 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Why would it be awful?? They are known for their bluesy hard rock. Maybe do a little bit experimentation but not much. If Axl wants to experiment further then release a solo album at some point.

You NEVER want to drift too far from your strong point. Besides there are better music artist for this type of music if you are into it. 

they can do what they want. if WTTJ replicas is all you want.. then you have a narrow view at music, and to limited musical vocabulary to begin to appreciate this song. 

Edited by username05

15 minutes ago, Draguns said:

The reason why there are 'better' artists in a given genre is because they are established within the genre - Axl was never given the chance to even try, let alone become established in, anything new before everyone told him to give up.

Not many artists would be satisfied taking the AC/DC route and coasting through their career making the exact same album 20 times. There are many examples of artists who have changed and evolved their sound, at times quite drastically, and still found success. Just look at Bowie.

An artist can do whatever the fuck they want (except for waiting decades in between each album. Fuck that).

Edited by Azifwekare

8 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Because it's  not the 1980s any more? Time moves on- hopefully their music will have too. Most bands push their sounds forwards- The Beatles are the very obvious example of that. They definitely had people telling them not to "drift too far from their strong point" when they were banging out old rock and roll standards, ignored it all and moved their sound forwards massively with every release they made. 

I agree there probably are better examples of more industrial music, but complaining about a band doing something  that's "not what you're used to hearing" is madness. That's the domain of all those naff old rock bands from the 80s LA scene who still do the rounds on those package tours. GNR are better than that! 

Exactly. There's a reason why people like LA Guns are still playing clubs, releasing albums no one cares about, and survive on recording songs for budget tribute albums, because they never evolved beyond 80s hair metal.

Edited by Azifwekare
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Can we get some appreciation for Axl's scream at 2:25? I reckon it's one of his best screams to date. People were upping his scream on SoG, but this is great too.

he has it! Best CD scream Ive heard. The vocal s on this track are flawless!!! 

2 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Exactly. There's a reason why people like LA Guns are still playing clubs, releasing albums no one cares about, and survive on recording songs for budget tribute albums, because they never evolved beyond 80s hair metal.

you have a perfect view of things. You cant live in nostalgia. only way forward is to move forward. And naturally, if you take big steps... some people wont be able to follow. 

Edited by username05
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

You have your opinion and I have mine. I respect yours. Please respect mine.

Look, you may like the music. I don't. It doesn't fit with me. If I want that I can listen to NIN, Manson, Garbage, etc.  

Hard School is a perfect example of playing to your strengths while having some modernization to it. 

Lastly stop with this 80s/90s BS. Bands like Halestorm, Pretty Reckless, Shinedown,  Rival Sons, Black Stone Cherry, etc. are still bring that sound and are newer bands. 

Edited by Draguns

13 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

The reason why there are 'better' artists in a given genre is because they are established within the genre - Axl was never given the chance to even try, let alone become established in, anything new before everyone told him to give up.

Not many artists would be satisfied taking the AC/DC route and coasting through their career making the exact same album 20 times. There are many examples of artists who have changed and evolved their sound, at times quite drastically, and still found success. Just look at Bowie.

An artist can do whatever the fuck they want (except for waiting decades in between each album. Fuck that).

Then this goes back to the argument of Axl retaining the GNR name during this time period.  Why didn't he release this as a solo artist? If this was actually good, why didn't he finish this? Songs like this, My World, Riad, and Silk Worms are known to be terrible songs. There's a reason why they are terrible songs. 

Edited by Draguns

8 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Look, you may not like the music. I don't. It doesn't fit with me. If I want that I can listen to NIN, Mason, Garbage, etc.  

Hard School is a perfect example of playing to your strengths while having some modernization to it. 

Lastly stop with this 80s/90s BS. Bands like Halestorm, Pretty Reckless, Shinedown,  Rival Sons, Black Stone Cherry, etc. are still bring that sound and are newer bands. 

the song has objective qualities.

as I have written in my rampage post,

it destills best qualities of CD songs. Its progress incarnate, since it nitpicks all the best parts of the album.

Neil Young could not do the vocals better than this,

The bass + keyboards have the gothy tones from silkworms and OMG without being as pronounced as there

The drums has a Madagascar doom/funeral wibe,

and all that with a slight CITR wibe.

The song is complex in any possible regard. It evokes memories of Neil Young (obvious Axls influence for this song), while at the same time moving it forward to 21st century, and adding a signature tones from previously released CD songs. Its a masterpiece. He basically hit all the checkpoints for a timeless epic song. Its not about you liking it. Its that the song has many tangiable qualities that are used to describe a masterpiece in any art. Painting, music share same criteria for a masterpiece

1) Evocation of the master (neil young), (cultural continuity)

2) Complexity... combining different musical influences through different instruments

3) seamless integration of all the parts... 

4) perfect complementation of instruments to Axls voice.

5) nothing is missing, and nothing is extra. The product is greater than the sum of parts. 

those are objective qualities. Anyone who cant get past Mac Daddy thing is either deaf or doesnt want to listen. 

Edited by username05

5 minutes ago, username05 said:

thats what people were talking about better demo when it first got released. 

Like what exactly? That they're placeholder lyrics? I don't remember anyone saying that back then. I know some people had a problem with the "no one ever told me when I was alone" part. Or more specifically the voice that Axl used in it. But I never had a problem with it. I remember loving Better immediately the first time I heard it. The only thing that I didn't like about it much was the robot masturbation part, and luckily they toned it down in the final version.

Not sure what your point is, but if GNR would release this song the way it is now, I guarantee that I'm NEVER gonna like it. There's never gonna be a day when I say that the song has grown on me. It's too silly the way it is. It's uninteresting. It doesn't matter cause it's an unfinished demo and like I said, it has a little bit of potential. But if they would release it the way it is, it would be the worst officially released GNR song in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Like what exactly? That they're placeholder lyrics? I don't remember anyone saying that back then. I know some people had a problem with the "no one ever told me when I was alone" part. Or more specifically the voice that Axl used in it. But I never had a problem with it. I remember loving Better immediately the first time I heard it. The only thing that I didn't like about it much was the robot masturbation part, and luckily they toned it down in the final version.

Not sure what your point is, but if GNR would release this song the way it is now, I guarantee that I'm NEVER gonna like it. There's never gonna be a day when I say that the song has grown on me. It's too silly the way it is. It's uninteresting. It doesn't matter cause it's an unfinished demo and like I said, it has a little bit of potential. But if they would release it the way it is, it would be the worst officially released GNR song in my opinion.

people thought that the mid solo was a placeholder. Its not about it being unfinished.

If you dont understand/appreciate the concept of the song, no matter of polishing is gonna make you move past it. and if you do... you'll just appreciate it for the superficial aspects... not its core which is there.. .screaming at you right now. 

Edited by username05

Just now, Draguns said:

Then this goes back to the argument of Axl retaining the GNR name during this time period.  Why didn't he release this as a solo artist? If this was actually good, why didn't he finish this? Songs like this My World and Silk Worms are terrible songs. There's a reason why they are terrible songs. 

Because as GN'R lost popularity in 1993/1994, and became passé and a bit ridiculous in people's opinion, and a different style of bands taking over (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails), Axl saw the need to evolve the sound of GN'R to make the band relevant and popular again. He didn't want to stagnate, he wanted to show that GN'R could survive and still be at the forefront of what was cool and good (like they had been with Appetite). Slash, on the other hand, had no interest in evolving the sound to stay trendy, instead he wanted to move backwards to what he had preferred which was the sound of 'Appetite'. Axl thus tried to pair Slash with other musicians (Zakk Wylde, Paul Huge), hoping that it would click, and also discussed getting Dave Navarro in and doing something with Trent Reznor in an effort to find a mix of what Slash wanted and what Axl thought the band needed. The deadlock between Slash and Axl wasn't resolved and eventually Slash quit, freeing Axl to move in the direction he wanted in an effort to make GN'R cool again, which he unfortunately failed at since he wasnt able to release CD while it had a chance of being avant garde, instead it became a joke. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, username05 said:

the song has objective qualities.

as I have written in my rampage post,

it destills best qualities of CD songs. Its progress incarnate, since it nitpicks all the best parts of the album.

Neil Young could not do the vocals better than this,

The bass + keyboards have the gothy tones from silkworms and OMG without being as pronounced as there

The drums has a Madagascar doom/funeral wibe,

and all that with a slight CITR wibe.

The song is complex in any possible regard. It evokes memories of Neil Young (obvious Axls influence for this song), while at the same time moving it forward to 21st century, and adding a signature tones from previously released CD songs. Its a masterpiece. He basically hit all the checkpoints for a timeless epic song. Its not about you liking it. Its that the song has many tangiable qualities that are used to describe a masterpiece in any art. Painting, music share same criteria for a masterpiece

1) Evocation of the master (neil young), (cultural continuity)

2) Complexity... combining different musical influences through different instruments

3) seamless integration of all the parts... 

4) perfect complementation of instruments to Axls voice.

5) nothing is missing, and nothing is extra. The product is greater than the sum of parts. 

those are objective qualities. Anyone who cant get past Mac Daddy thing is either deaf or doesnt want to listen. 

It's cool that you think this is a masterpiece and evokes memories of Neil Young.  I think it's atrocious. It's not for me. 

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Because as GN'R lost popularity in 1993/1994, and became passé and a bit ridiculous in people's opinion, and a different style of bands taking over (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails), Axl saw the need to evolve the sound of GN'R to make the band relevant and popular again. He didn't want to stagnate, he wanted to show that GN'R could survive and still be at the forefront of what was cool and good (like they had been with Appetite). Slash, on the other hand, had no interest in evolving the sound to stay trendy, instead he wanted to move backwards to what he had preferred which was the sound of 'Appetite'. Axl thus tried to pair Slash with other musicians (Zakk Wylde, Paul Huge), hoping that it would click, and also discussed getting Dave Navarro in and doing something with Trent Reznor in an effort to find a mix of what Slash wanted and what Axl thought the band needed. The deadlock between Slash and Axl wasn't resolved and eventually Slash quit, freeing Axl to move in the direction he wanted in an effort to make GN'R cool again, which he unfortunately failed at since he wasnt able to release CD while it had a chance of being avant garde, instead it became a joke. 

sounds like lyrics to Pretty Tied Up

Edited by username05

6 minutes ago, Draguns said:

It's cool that you think this is a masterpiece and evokes memories of Neil Young.  I think it's atrocious. It's not for me. 

then stop spitting up bile and let people rejoice.

You are spending energy through multiple threads and posts on putting this song down.
I dont think its correct and justifiable to be so negative and derogatory of an actual piece of shit. - Let alone something that people actually appreciate.
No song can/should cause that much negativity .

Edited by username05

Just now, username05 said:

If you dont understand/appreciate the concept of the song, no matter of polishing is gonna make you move past it. 

Yeah, I agree that polishing would not change anything. It would need much bigger changes than just a bit of polishing. Still it could be made into a great song if they make some bigger changes.

For example I never liked the live version of Silkworms and I don't like the recently leaked version either. But I LOVE the version that leaked along with the remix album. They made the right changes with that song IMO.  

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That's your opinion and it's cool. We really don't know what happened between Axl and Slash. What we do know is that Slash has been a guest on various albums and had a solo album with various guests with different musical styles. Furthermore, Velvet Revolver did push Slash a bit. 

Lastly, please don't lecture someone who is a long time fan. 

14 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Look, you may like the music. I don't. It doesn't fit with me. If I want that I can listen to NIN, Manson, Garbage, etc.  

Not liking the music is one thing- that's objective. 

Criticizing a band for not repeating their sound is something else. Just because bands 'still bring that sound' doesn't mean they're any good. There's always people and bands who seem hellbent on recreating the past- they're usually the ones history forgets in favour of the ones who search for something new. 

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'playing to their strengths'. I'd probably say Axl's biggest strength has always been that he's been willing to take risks. it's sad that that confidence seems to have been somewhat eroded recently, as the seemingly unquenchable thirst for nostalgia consumes the music industry. 

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, username05 said:

then stop spitting up bile and let people rejoice.

You are spending energy through multiple threads and posts on putting this song down.
I dont think its correct and justifiable to be so negative and derogatory of an actual piece of shit. - Let alone something that people actually appreciate.
No song can/should cause that much negativity .

hahahahaha 

WTF. Dude all I said was that this was not to my liking. I'm not going on multiple posts. It's cool you like it but I don't. 

3 minutes ago, Draguns said:

That's your opinion and it's cool. We really don't know what happened between Axl and Slash. What we do know is that Slash has been a guest on various albums and had a solo album with various guests with different musical styles. Furthermore, Velvet Revolver did push Slash a bit. 

Lastly, please don't lecture someone who is a long time fan. 

Slash was very clear at the time that he didn't want what Axl was interested in: http://www.a-4-d.com/t4046p330-the-history-in-their-own-words#16430

And Axl had been very clear that he wanted the band to evolve. In fact, Axl had never been interested in GN'R becoming a "one track pony" just releasing the same music over and over. Already back in the 80s did he talk about wanting GN'R to become a band that played diverse music, modelled after Queen. To him, GN'R wasn't a special type of music, but a special type of musicians with a special approach playing different types of music. He probably could have communicated this more clearly to his fans.

Some quotes from Axl on this:

uten_n33.png

I don't like Silkworms much at all. I enjoyed it enough when it had the chorus from Rio and HOB, but without it I don't find much to love. I say this so you don't think I love everything Axl puts out. But I really do like Eye On You. I like it a bunch in the current form that we have, I'd be fine if nothing was added. And I just tried listening to it over the Interstellar clips and I thought it worked great. I'd love to see some other Guns songs matched up with movie clips like this, it's never really dawned on me to do this. But I'm glad it was brought up. This was really fun. And I think the song is close enough to the GNR wheelhouse to make a record.

10 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Not liking the music is one thing- that's objective. 

Criticizing a band for not repeating their sound is something else. Just because bands 'still bring that sound' doesn't mean they're any good. There's always people and bands who seem hellbent on recreating the past- they're usually the ones history forgets in favour of the ones who search for something new. 

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'playing to their strengths'. I'd probably say Axl's biggest strength has always been that he's been willing to take risks. it's sad that that confidence seems to have been somewhat eroded recently, as the seemingly unquenchable thirst for nostalgia consumes the music industry. 

Did you become a fan during NU-GNR era? It might explain your viewpoint.

I became a fan in October 1987 when I watched MYV fir the first time. 

GNR was and will always be known as a hard rock bluesy/punk rock band. This is not their strength.  The same thing can be said with Metallica. Metallica failed with Lou Reed. Their album with Lou reed and St Anger are considered their worst albums. There's a reason for that. 

As much as I like Axl and consider him to be my childhood idol, the one risk that he should have taken was going solo and dropping the GNR name for a bit. 

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Slash was very clear at the time that he didn't want what Axl was interested in: http://www.a-4-d.com/t4046p330-the-history-in-their-own-words#16430

And Axl had been very clear that he wanted the band to evolve. In fact, Axl had never been interested in GN'R becoming a "one track pony" just releasing the same music over and over. Already back in the 80s did he talk about wanting GN'R to become a band that played diverse music, modelled after Queen. To him, GN'R wasn't a special type of music, but a special type of musicians with a special approach playing different types of music. He probably could have communicated this more clearly to his fans.

Some quotes from Axl on this:

uten_n33.png

You are getting one side. We really don't know what happened. All 5 were to blame. 

9 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Did you become a fan during NU-GNR era? It might explain your viewpoint.

I became a fan in October 1987 when I watched MYV fir the first time. 

GNR was and will always be known as a hard rock bluesy/punk rock band. This is not their strength.  The same thing can be said with Metallica. Metallica failed with Lou Reed. Their album with Lou reed and St Anger are considered their worst albums. There's a reason for that. 

As much as I like Axl and consider him to be my childhood idol, the one risk that he should have taken was going solo and dropping the GNR name for a bit. 

No. I became a fan in 1988. Why would it explain my desire for a progressive view of music if I became a fan in the NU-GNR era? Would that discredit me as a 'true GNR fan'?   

Again- it's your opinion that Metallica 'failed' with Lou Reed. Nothing more than that. Many people, including myself, respected them for doing something risky and different. 

Metallica even called their fans out on their small minded attitude to risk-taking: Lars Ulrich also noted the negative reaction to Lulu, and stated that he wasn't surprised by the criticism due in part because, "In 1984, when hard-core Metallica fans heard acoustic guitars on "Fade to Black", there was a nuclear meltdown in the heavy-metal community," and also noted that Reed's poetry is "not for everyone."[36] Talking about the negative reactions, James Hetfield expressed understanding of "fearful people", who are "typing from their mom’s basement that they still live in", stating that the band needed "to spread our wings" and try something new,[37] while Lou Reed stated that the album is for "literate people".[38]

I'm afraid I can't really understood the viewpoint of people who want time to stand still and bands to do the same thing over and over again. It's totally alien to the way I feel about the creative process, and art in general. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2