Eye On You - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

I think the problems between Axl and Slash were the result of a combination of issues, and the disagreements on the musical direction were just a part of it and not the issue.

One of the other issues was that Slash didnt' want another UYI process again and wanted an album out fast, because he wanted to be back on the road soon. It's indicative that in interviews of the same time (early '94) Slash said he wanted the album ready in the summer of '94 and Axl said they were aiming at 1996.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Did you become a fan during NU-GNR era? It might explain your viewpoint.

My viewpoint as expressed in this thread is based entirely on what band members have stated. As you can see form the links, I base it on their own quotes and nothing else. As such it isn't as much a personal viewpoint as a summary of what they themselves have said.

I became a fan in 1988 and Appetite is my favorite record of all time.

6 minutes ago, Draguns said:

GNR was and will always be known as a hard rock bluesy/punk rock band. This is not their strength.  The same thing can be said with Metallica. Metallica failed with Lou Reed. Their album with Lou reed and St Anger are considered their worst albums. There's a reason for that. 

I haven't for one said anything about what the band's strength are nor what I would want the band to do. I am trying to explain what Slash and Axl wanted based on what they have said. This is purely descriptive. 

8 minutes ago, Draguns said:

You are getting one side. We really don't know what happened. All 5 were to blame. 

Sorry, you lost me. All 5 were to blame for what? I am not discussing why Slash left. I am only discussing Slash and Axl's views on the direction of GN'R. Slash left for a myriad of reasons, musical differences with Axl being just one of them.

Just now, Blackstar said:

I think the problems between Axl and Slash were the result of a combination of issues, and the disagreements on the musical direction were just a part of it and not the issue.

You beat me to it ;)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

One of the other issues was that Slash didnt' want another UYI process again and wanted an album out fast, because he wanted to be back on the road soon. It's indicative that in interviews of the same time (early '94) Slash said he wanted the album ready in the summer of '94 and Axl said they were aiming at 1996.

Thank you Blackstar. 

Complaining about Bridge School feels just as wrong as complaining about Eye On You if not even more so. The other one is an unfinished demo that was never supposed to see the light of the day in that form. The other one is Axl singing in strep throat cause he didn't want to cancel a charity show for physically disabled children.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Complaining about Bridge School feels just as wrong as complaining about Eye On You if not even more so. The other one is an unfinished demo that was never supposed to see the light of the day in that form. The other one is Axl singing in strep throat cause he didn't want to cancel a charity show for physically disabled children.

I didn't know Axl had strep throat that night. That explains the YEEE-HAW I think. I should clarify I'm no doctor. I also remember all the F-bombs during that show, which were probably intended for physically disabled children to finally toughen up a little. Did Axl himself mention he had strep-throat, or was there another source?

I still occassionally watch that performance of Welcome to the Crazy, it never fails to crack me up. I do not regret them doing that gig.

And I'm not super keen on Eye on You, but it's Axl singing over a guy asking who's your Mac Daddy, that has to count for something. Oddities are part of the charm of listening to unfinished demos and works in progress. at least to me they are.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

I don't like Silkworms much at all. I enjoyed it enough when it had the chorus from Rio and HOB, but without it I don't find much to love. I say this so you don't think I love everything Axl puts out. But I really do like Eye On You. I like it a bunch in the current form that we have, I'd be fine if nothing was added. And I just tried listening to it over the Interstellar clips and I thought it worked great. I'd love to see some other Guns songs matched up with movie clips like this, it's never really dawned on me to do this. But I'm glad it was brought up. This was really fun. And I think the song is close enough to the GNR wheelhouse to make a record.

Glad you liked it. I was trying it out with Interstellar and inception, since scenes in that movie are grandiose enough to match the feel of the song.

I believe it's hard to find a match with many New Gnr songs since they have atypical composition, but I'd start with CITR andMadagadcar for sure. I think Madagascar would be a great match for American history X. 

9 minutes ago, Creed said:

The whole band sounded awful. And Axl is the only person with angina i know that turns into Mickey Mouse...when i have the flu i become Barry White all the way. He could have performed with a very deep voice here...but ney.

Can't help but agree. I'm so sick and tired of hearing excuses for Bridge School, it's not even funny. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, El Nono Pololo said:

Did Axl himself mention he had strep-throat, or was there another source?

Yes, it was confirmed By the GNR camp. And Axl still had it in the Jimmy Kimmel interview.

42 minutes ago, Creed said:

And Axl is the only person with angina i know that turns into Mickey Mouse...when i have the flu i become Barry White all the way. He could have performed with a very deep voice here...but ney.

Well his voice was noticeably higher in the Jimmy Kimmel interview too, so I guess it affects Axl that way. His voice becomes higher.

And you don't just sing GNR songs with a deep voice. They're not written that way. 

33 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Can't help but agree. I'm so sick and tired of hearing excuses for Bridge School, it's not even funny. 

Well apparently some people didn't even know that he had strep throat, so... I defend people when there's a good reason for it. You gotta do what's right even if some might get butthurt about it.

Edited by Lies They Tell

1 hour ago, Creed said:

this and the rio rain desaster were the worst gnr gigs in history. you can't go more mickey mouse than this.

That's my point. You can mind the vocals,but it's still a great song. If you like Neil you will like this as well. Even if I were to sing it, and it sounded like complete trash, you could dislike my performance, but not the song

Edited by username05

4 minutes ago, Creed said:

At least you had the heavy rain as excuse in Rio and Axl was in really bad mood that night. 

I checked other artists at The Bridge School gigs. Metallica was OK, but the whole gig in general has a very bad and muddy sound / acoustic in general. Acoustic sets should sound like the MTV unplugged ones. Or Axl should have sit down with just two guitarists and keep it super simple.

The rain was just a nuisance. Axl was just completely underprepared for that gig

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

Singing with any kind of infection is really bad for your vocal cords too. Just ask Robert Plant. He did the same thing many times and that's why his voice got cracked. A shame really

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

So what are we in your opinion supposed to get past in order to enjoy Eye On You? 

give it a benefit of a doubt. Listen to it for a few days, let it settle in. Maybe listen to Neil Young a bit if you didnt. Just dont burry it before giving it a proper chance. IMO its a great somber song. It daws from a lot of other GNR songs. Maybe I just listened to to many "doomy" bands, so I already had my playing field leveld... IDK. 

but if I were to narrow down the DNA of this song, it would be Type O Negative, Vast, and Neil Young. Basically if you like these bands... EOU would appeal naturally. BTW, did you like IRS and If the world? Since the song vocals are similar to IRS vocals, but much more fluid. While the music is similar to IRS, but also... much smoother, and I feel like the voice/instruments are far better aligned with each other.

while typing I figured out how best to express my self: my enthusiasm is not not about the song as a song... but the breakthrough they've achieved in terms of voice/instrument synergy.

Its a completely new experience and a "framework" for Axls voice. This song makes his voice shine in a completely new light. Its like hearing Axl again for the first time. Only few GNR songs have put a completely new "Scenary" or a "Backdrop" for Axls voice. And this is one of those few... and most importantly, that "scenary" blends perfectly... and makes it sound even more awsome. The soung could be 10 seconds long for all I care... and I'd keep it on repeat. Everything else is a bonus! And they pulled it off through the whole song. 

People are focusing on details... (the dady thing)... for me, its like commenting the keychain of a brand new Ferrari. 

its interesting for me to be so into this song, since I found things to nitpick on many CD era songs... but find this one completely flawless... and by the looks of the comments... ppl hate the guts out of it. 

Edited by username05

21 minutes ago, username05 said:

give it a benefit of a doubt. Listen to it for a few days, let it settle in. Maybe listen to Neil Young a bit if you didnt. Just dont burry it before giving it a proper chance. IMO its a great somber song. It daws from a lot of other GNR songs. Maybe I just listened to to many "doomy" bands, so I already had my playing field leveld... IDK. 

but if I were to narrow down the DNA of this song, it would be Type O Negative, Vast, and Neil Young. Basically if you like these bands... EOU would appeal naturally. BTW, did you like IRS and If the world? Since the song vocals are similar to IRS vocals, but much more fluid. While the music is similar to IRS, but also... much smoother, and I feel like the voice/instruments are far better aligned with each other.

while typing I figured out how best to express my self: my enthusiasm is not not about the whole song as a song... but the breakthrough they've achieved in terms of voice/instrument synergy. Its a completely new experience of a "framework" for Axls voice. While other CD songs might not compliment it as good, this song makes his voice shine. 

its interesting for me to be so into this song, since I found things to nitpick on many CD era songs... but find this one completely flawless... and by the looks of the comments... ppl hate the guts out of it. 

All I know is that I LOVE Neil Young and I can't see any resemblance with his songs and Eye On You. Maybe their voice is a bit similar, but that's about it. Trust me, I'm trying to find something to like about it. I love CD-era GNR and CD is one of my favorite albums. But this song does nothing for me. The "eye on you"-part is ok, but nothing special. The Mac Daddy part has a fun vibe I guess even if the lyrics are a bit corny. But even if you replace the Mac Daddy lyrics with something else similar sounding... it's still nothing special. Nothing about this song is enough to make it good IMO. It's barely ok. When I listen to it I'm just waiting for the good part to begin but it never does. I don't even know what I'm supposed to feel when I listen to it. What kind of emotions is it supposed to raise in me cause I feel nothing when I listen to it. That's why it feels so incomplete. It feels like it ends before anything interesting has even happened.

If The World is the worst song on CD if you ask me but at least I understand what kind of emotions the song is trying to evoke. Not a big fan of the chorus in that song though and it's just repeated over and over again. If there's something similar between these two songs, maybe they sound a bit whiny. Maybe that's why you're comparing this to Neil Young cause sometimes his voice also sounds a bit whiny. But I really don't think that it's Axl's voice that's the problem here. It's just that there's nothing that I really like about it. The lyrics are kinda forgettable to me. If you took away the Mac Daddy part and replaced it with something completely else, it could work. And I don't mean just replacing the lyrics, but replacing the whole melody or what ever you wanna call it. Or if that part was used as a bridge to something else. Or if that part was just background vocals while something much more interesting was played on top of it. I don't know. Maybe this is just not my type of music. Interesting that you like it so much. 

I like IRS better, but that's a completely different type of song. That one's a rocker with a cool riff, angry energy etc. So it has very little to do with this if you ask me.

55 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Fans always turn to the Axl is sick excuse. I expect to hear a fair amount of it tonight

Then there's also the other extremity when people don't believe that Axl's even capable of getting sick even if it's confirmed by the GNR camp that he is. Or even if they believe that he is sick, they expect him to be able to sing like he wasn't. It's funny! :lol: