Hard School on GNR's setlist!

Time will tell as always. If some kind of upcoming release materializes, be it an E.P. or full album, and Hard School ends up on there then perhaps it's on the setlist more than just due to the fact that a 19 year old track ended up on the internet.

A version with Slash & Duff would absolutely be single material, so we'll see.  It's not like the media picked this up in regard to the leak.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

No but that was the first one to leak and it's also the only one of the alt list. Totally a guess on my part that it's the only leak he knows about. 

He could yes, but there's a longstanding theory that "they" actually don't let him anymore.

Same here. With HS showing up on the setlist, it honestly makes me wonder if they just told him about the one so far. 

Axl / Dexter was on this forum, remember? He knows.

I don't believe for one second others can prevent Axl from reading here.

Just listened to the recent leaks again and I think Hard School makes the most sense to have Slash on it and release. The song fits the original GnR sound the most, especially when Slash and Duff play on it.

It's also the most radio friendly of the bunch.

I wouldn't bet anything on it, but there is a small chance Hard School will be played and released as a single.

Especially if the song is really that old as some people write here... 1995 / 1996. Duff and Slash might have already known it to some extent.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 2

Even if TB wanted to keep Axl in the dark about the leaks and other things, there are many other ways for him to find out.

For example, Duff has been monitoring twitter closely, especially lately because of his album and tour, and has replied to comments etc. It's very likely that he noticed about the leaks. TB can forbid Duff to talk to Axl.

Edited by Blackstar

2 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

60% chance that Fernando wrote this on the setlist just to be an asshole and the band has no intention of ever playing it

I've considered this. Never underestimate old Nando's penchant for alienating the GNR fanbase. Hope not though.

Edited by sofine11

The whole story is getting freaky:

There is a man who worked (how many ?) years for the band and left some disks in a locker - well knowing the magnitude of the stuff inside ???

However the disks have seen  daylight again and find their way to some hardcore fans leaking song for song - without any reaction of TB, the band nor any media ???

Hardschool appears on the alt setlist - just by accident???

Come on!

At least someone of the inner or outer circel of the band reads the stuff on these pages...

Whats next ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bansidhe said:

They should just bam folk up by adding absurd choices.

Dead Horse
Hard School
Mambo No 5
Locomotive
Madagascar
Breakdown
Rhythm Is A Dancer
Street Of Dreams
Zombie Nation
Riad
Pure Shores
If The World

well they already hit the highest point of absurdity when they decided to play I Feel Good, so I dont think that any other new song could shock me :D

28 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

Axl / Dexter was on this forum, remember? He knows.

I don't believe for one second others can prevent Axl from reading here.

Yes, I totally forgot that Axl Rose visited this forum......................................... :lol:

And AGAIN....I'm just saying it's a theory that's out there.

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I’m surprised that Atlas didn’t make the alt list, but Hard School did. I would assume that if Axl had shown Slash and Duff anything it’d be Atlas. It was always one of the big guns, or at least rumoured to be. Hard School was barely even talked about all these years, I was led to the conclusion that this was a B-side song and never a “big gun” for a planned CDII. Hard School is definitely the most classic Guns style song we’ve heard yet in my opinion so it makes sense Slash and Duff wanted to play that out of all the leaked songs.

I could be wrong but didn’t someone post in a thread a month or so ago of an interview with either Axl Slash or Duff before Slash left in 96 talking about working on a song for a Jackie Chan movie ?  If that’s true and it’s the same song then could this be a case of Slash finishing something he started ? It also could be the Slash riff Fortus mentioned back in 2014 that the then line up was working on. It would explain why it sounds more GNR than the rest and why maybe Slash has chose to work on that song. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gold top 78 said:

I could be wrong but didn’t someone post in a thread a month or so ago of an interview with either Axl Slash or Duff before Slash left in 96 talking about working on a song for a Jackie Chan movie ?  If that’s true and it’s the same song then could this be a case of Slash finishing something he started ? It also could be the Slash riff Fortus mentioned back in 2014 that the then line up was working on. It would explain why it sounds more GNR than the rest and why maybe Slash has chose to work on that song. 

It was Duff in 1996. IF it's the same song as Hardschool, it could have been one of the "12 rockers" Duff had mentioned (in another interview that same year) that he and Matt had been working on. Slash, although he was still in the band officially, wasn't involved with the band during that period and was doing other things, but could have had some input. Probably Paul Tobias was also involved.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It was Duff in 1996. IF it's the same song as Hardschool, it could have been one of the "12 rockers" Duff had mentioned (in another interview that same year) that he and Matt had been working on. Slash, although he was still in the band officially, wasn't involved with the band during that period and was doing other things, but could have had some input. Probably Paul Tobias was also involved.

Hey someone else remembers this! I think it was on a Stern interview where Duff was with the other guys from the Neurotic Outsiders but I can't find the clip online.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks for that 😃. That makes it a big IF in regards to the same song. I didn’t realise Slash wasn’t involved at the time. 

• Like 1

It's actually on the Chinese Whispers 1996

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=54738#p54738

In August, the full band were scheduled to return to the studio to write and record new songs.

"Duff: We're in [the studio], writing new songs...
Stern: And Axl's into it?
Duff: Yeah, totally. And, actually, today I was going to have to fly back right after this. We were going to start recording for this Jackie Chan movie, the next one." (Duff, Howard Stern Show, 07/25/96)

• Like 3

Wonder if Hard School is one of the tracks Richard was referring to when he said they have songs that date back to when Slash & Duff were still around.  

I just don't think Axl pulled the title "Jackie Chan" out of his ass, even if he was being clever and that wasn't actually the title.

54 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Hey someone else remembers this! I think it was on a Stern interview where Duff was with the other guys from the Neurotic Outsiders but I can't find the clip online.

Havent found that but another interview with Duff in 96 (Hard Rock France). He was talking about rehearsing with Guns and kickboxing and Benny the Jet (very similar to the titel on the alt setlist)

HR: Does it mean that the Duff McKagan of 1996 is clean?

Duff: Yes. I do kickboxing every day. It's popular in France, uh?

HR: Uh… yes.

Duff: Do you know Benny The Jet?

HR: No

Duff: He was a world champion during 20 years! He's my teacher!

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2672-1996-dd-mm-interview-with-duff-in-hard-rock-france

• Like 2