Hard School on GNR's setlist!

7 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

How do people get hold of these " Set Lists" ?

I mean that looks like something any cunt with Microsoft Word could have put together.

I'm with you dude, anyone could have printed that off and stuck it up where it's extremely obvious as a joke. And no-one has evidence of Hardschool actually being rehearsed right?

This is the song that sounds the closest to a CLASSIC GNR track since UYI. This and Perhaps. Hard school is closer to YCBM and Apetite stuff, and Perhaps is closer to Estranged, etc.

With a Slash tone in the guitar, and his style of playing it could transport us directly to 1991 perception.

For me there are so MANY points indicating that this would be the right song to start again this new "phase" of the band that the fact that it was shown in the SETLIST doesn't say much. It's the obvious choice.

Aurally I would even say that if there is one song that is remanent from the the 1996/1997 sessions, this would be it. All of the aspects indicates in that direction.

If I could advise de band one thing, I would say: just leave SLASH to put his "musical mojo" into the piece, just as how he did it during Illusions and you'll get a BOMB that would attract A LOT of attention immediately to the record. Starting with HARD SCHOOL would "say" to the overall audiences that you still GOT IT and that would allow you to open the music styles in the record.

This is the reason why I believe that out of ALL LEAKS, this is the STRONGEST material. Because it is a link to the past without sounding self-plagiarism.

Edited by Bernardo_Seccadio

Hard School, Chinese Democracy and Better are debatably the best traditional rockers on Chinese. These 3 at a concert would make the most sense, as they don’t seem as into playing the Chinese ballads anymore, recently omitting This I Love and putting the rest on an alt list. As a Chinese fan I can say I’d be happy if these were the only 3 songs played live, as much as I love the other tracks as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Creed said:

youre right. thanks. but for some reason, they choose sth else.

yeah. not sure why. oh well. probably just a jam. not a new song.

5 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Hard School, Chinese Democracy and Better are debatably the best traditional rockers on Chinese. These 3 at a concert would make the most sense, as they don’t seem as into playing the Chinese ballads anymore, recently omitting This I Love and putting the rest on an alt list. As a Chinese fan I can say I’d be happy if these were the only 3 songs played live, as much as I love the other tracks as well.

Hopefully theyre phasing Chinese songs out to make room for new songs.

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

yeah. not sure why. oh well. probably just a jam. not a new song.

Hopefully theyre phasing Chinese songs out to make room for new songs.

I hope they would still play Chinese songs if a new album were to come out. They’re great songs and part of the Guns library with UYI and AFD.

3 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I hope they would still play Chinese songs if a new album were to come out. They’re great songs and part of the Guns library with UYI and AFD.

Well I mean of course I still want that album to be represented in some shape or form at all the shows but if theyre gonna drop a new record at some point then they gotta make room for it on the set somewhere! Im sure no matter what ChiDem and Better will still continue to be played live at every gig, even if they dropped ten albums more. I think those two songs are pretty much "solidified" now for the shows the same way WttJ, SCOM, PC, NR, and YCBM all are.

Edited by rocknroll41

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Well I mean of course I still want that album to be represented in some shape or form at all the shows but if theyre gonna drop a new record at some point then they gotta make room for it on the set somewhere! Im sure no matter what ChiDem and Better will still continue to be played live at every gig, even if they dropped ten albums more. I think those two songs are pretty much "solidified" now for the shows the same way WttJ, SCOM, PC, NR, and YCBM all are.

I wouldn’t mind if they cut KOHD, Black Hole Sun, LALD, Coma (as cool as it is they’ve kind of burned me on it and it’s long) to make room. But hey don’t want to turn this into a setlist discussion or anything lol. We got enough of those on the forum :P 

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DownUnderScott said:

I'm with you dude, anyone could have printed that off and stuck it up where it's extremely obvious as a joke. And no-one has evidence of Hardschool actually being rehearsed right?

Guy who was at the show posted a video and he panned to sound mixing area and you could clearly see that exact same setlist that’s being discussed posted up 

Edit: here’s a link to the vid

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2s5TItHuDK/?igshid=1finxfqvyt512

Edited by Gimpy Hewitt

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

For some reason I thought you were Antipodean!

Ah! Probably because back in the day of the old yellow MJNI board I visited a couple Smooth Criminals in Sydney and Canberra. 

Quite impressed I typed that on my phone after nine hours of drinking and forcing unsuspecting and uncooperative fuckers to listen to Hard School and Atlas +6db*

Quite chuffed I managed to type that too! 

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Rumor has it they don’t play it cause it’s about Slash, according to someone on this forum (can’t remember who exactly it was who said it but supposedly @RussTCB heard that rumor from somewhere too).

They play Sorry and the line "shut up and sing" is something Axl said Slash had said to him, so... I'm not sure if this holds too much water. I'd say they just chose to play other songs or simply forgot about it. It had been out of rotation for a while by the time the whole NITL thing came about.

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

They play Sorry and the line "shut up and sing" is something Axl said Slash had said to him, so... I'm not sure if this holds too much water. I'd say they just chose to play other songs or simply forgot about it. It had been out of rotation for a while by the time the whole NITL thing came about.

Good points, yeah. Axl said it was one of his favorites in 2006 tho. You’d think they’d play it all the time for that reason alone.

17 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

they actually never played it lol
they could posibily not even play hard school

I think the person you quoted was just joking there.

Edited by rocknroll41

I'm thinking that Hard School is one of those songs from the 94-96 sessions that Sorum had mentioned. He did say that there were 14 songs. 7 were completed. Another 7 that were being worked on. I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the songs being worked on at the time. It just has too much of a classic GNR vibe to it compared to the rest of the songs for CD.  

7 hours ago, sl4yer said:

Hard School is my favorite GNR song. If they will play it live and Axl won’t suck and if they will release it with proper mastering and Slash tone I will be in heaven.

A song that's only available via crappy leaked versions and was performed by AXL during a time when his voice was not the same as it once was is your favorite GN'R song? WTF?

Some people strive waaaay to hard to be different. New Era GN'R millennials baffle me....

Edited by thunderram
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

A song that's only available via crappy leaked versions and was performed by AXL during a time when his voice was not the same as it once was is your favorite GN'R song? WTF?

Some people strive waaaay to hard to be different. New Era GN'R millennials baffle me....

and some people just have a hard time accepting someone else's valid opinion

• Like 1