Rough Mixes CD #1 Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

12 minutes ago, Creed said:

Riad and the Bedouins is the only song which sounds outstandingly different. its the wildest rocker on the whole album! I never liked the song, but this thing is just wild. EVERYONE SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT!

Madagascar is the other track which is mixed much better. beside the pitman synth trumpets and Axls voice which is too monotone at some parts.

Whats really annoying is Pitmans synth. I will never understand why the didnt choose a real orchestra...the synth sounds cheap as fuck and makes a lot of these songs annoying.

Great call on Riad.  It this is def the best version.  This leak is really bringing me back to 2001 when I made my own greatest hits cd and included  the blues, Maddy from rock in rio and the riad from audience recording from the house of blues .. great stuff 

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I said this last time, but this is the best version of Atlas. Holy shit.

Perhaps and Atlas sound great on this, CD sounds fucking mean, Madagascar sounds great... it all sounds great. This is amazing but frustrating and sad at the same time, the album was basically ready to be mixed and mastered in 2000.

Axl should have released his trilogy of albums starting in 2000-2001 and reunited with Slash and Duff in 2010. :no:

Thing is, if that had happened, i dont think he wouldve ever reunited with Slash and Duff at all. He wouldve kept going on his own. As crazy as it sounds, id rather live in this timeline where he DID reunite with them, despite the fact that he only finished one album in this reality.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Damn, this makes me sad. I keep thinking of the alternate universe where this came out, and a finished version of CDII and CDIII and CDIV would follow every 2-3 years. Axl could’ve made GN’R thrive without Slash and Duff, very easily. This would have been huge. I love CD 2008, but by the time it released few people cared and moved on. This has to be one of the biggest shames and waste of potential and pure talent in music history. Fuck me, man.

Agreed. I can see the argument that Slash and Duff are essential to GNR's sound but Axl is absolutely irreplaceable in this band. He brings something really special to the table in terms of songwriting. Has he written some cringey stuff (Silkworms, Scraped, etc)? Sure, but musicians don't get it right all the time. If the label and band management could have seen the potential of this lineup, GN'R might be in a very different state today. 

• GNFNR 1

Perhaps and Prostitute sound good too. Halfway through now. Im happy to have this, but I still think youre all getting too excited when saying things like "this record wouldve made everyone LOVE axl had it come out like this in 2001" or whatever. Make no mistake, as long as the GNR name is on there, people still wouldve said they wanted songs that sounded like Jungle, Sweet Child, and Paradise.

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Perhaps and Prostitute sound good too. Halfway through now. Im happy to have this, but I still think youre all getting too excited when saying things like "this record wouldve made everyone LOVE axl had it come out like this in 2001" or whatever. Make no mistake, as long as the GNR name is on there, people still wouldve said they wanted songs that sounded like Jungle, Sweet Child, and Paradise.

Actually there was a lot of momentum that was gone after the cancelled 2002 tour. But if they released something around the RIR 2001 perfomance it would had been huge.

Just now, Manfisman said:

Actually there was a lot of momentum that was gone after the cancelled 2002 tour. But if they released something around the RIR 2001 perfomance it would had been huge.

It could just have been the perception from the people I grew up with or something, but that's not the perception I have. Nonetheless, maybe youre right! As I said in an earlier post here tho, a successful ChiDem wouldve most likely killed any chances of NITL (or anything like it) from ever happening, so there's goods and bads to everything, no matter how you look at it. :)

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

If you watch HOB ... The crowd seemed REALLY into the ChiDem stuff, even Silkworms!! 

You remind me that I never got around to watching the whole thing!

On Riad now. Okay, now THIS is pretty good! Easily my fav version ever of this song... EASILY! Those chorus harmonies! Goddamn!!

Edited by rocknroll41
  • GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

These "Rough Mixes" are as close to a "Director's Cut" we're going to get.

Think of Richard Donner's Superman II, Ridley Scott's Blade Runner or even films that went through a sordid production and were cancelled (ie. Superman Lives)

Fans tend to hold these pieces of art in higher regard because there is something fantastical and romantic about an artist having his art suppressed and then getting glimpses of their "vision".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FuriousStyles said:

These "Rough Mixes" are as close to a "Director's Cut" we're going to get.

Think of Richard Donner's Superman II, Ridley Scott's Blade Runner or even films that went through a sordid production and were cancelled (ie. Superman Lives)

Fans tend to hold these pieces of art in higher regard because there is something fantastical and romantic about an artist having his art suppressed and then getting glimpses of their "vision".

I never thought of it that way. You make a very good point! :)