Rough Mixes CD #1 Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Great stuff! That album would have been great in 2000/2001.

Still dont get Atlas though. I somehow expected an epic track i dont know why, and this is...ok. I do love Perhaps.

People would have been blown away 18 years ago. With a proper tour and a lot of these tracks added to the setlist it could have been huge. Of course there was no Slash, but there was material for sure.

Just now, WillBailey said:

Still dont get Atlas though. I somehow expected an epic track i dont know why, and this is...ok. I do love Perhaps.

People would have been blown away 18 years ago. With a proper tour and a lot of these tracks added to the setlist it could have been huge. Of course there was no Slash, but there was material for sure.

I go in to all of these tracks with a grain of salt. You have to remember most of the people who said these tracks were "epic" and "big guns" are all bootlickers. So yeah, they aren't going to say "well the stuff I heard was decent, definitely not on AFD or UYI levels, but they are serviceable tracks"  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, El Nono Pololo said:

Actual footage of Bob Ezrin listening to Silkworms with a colleague and then facing Axl Rose:

I’ve always thought that Ezrin was brought in by UMG/Iovine to send that message. (The fact that Axl might listen to him since he respects him)

1. So that Ezrin could be brought in for some work/writing credits

2. To convince Axl that something was missing from the songs (Slash) and get a reunion album out of it  

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 1

I think this just illustrates how impressive and unsung Sean Beaven was in his time there.

He took the thing, basically, the whole distance.

Bravo Sean, it must have been dismal to see the thing go on for years and years when he knew he had it right the first time.

"Most of the songs start and end with Sean" - Tommy, 2017

5 minutes ago, WillBailey said:

Atlas is a poorly crafted song. It has too many words in it - it seems like Axl just never stops singing to let the music be.

You can tell and it's awkward because as the chords change from the verse to the pre-chorus, Axl just keeps on singing and it seems like he gets lost in the song from time to time or the song loses him.

3 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

Where's the rerecorded appetite that was supposed to be apart of the set

People were misinformed when told that AFD99 was part of this. Turns out it’s just a disc from 2001 with WTTJ, electric KOHD (two takes), and acoustic KOHD. Axl only sings on the last one. That’s it.

7 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

I think this just illustrates how impressive and unsung Sean Beaven was in his time there.

He took the thing, basically, the whole distance.

Bravo Sean, it must have been dismal to see the thing go on for years and years when he knew he had it right the first time.

"Most of the songs start and end with Sean" - Tommy, 2017

Sean did most of the heavy lifting, for sure.

• Like 1

This is the album we wanted, and why fans like me stuck around so long. Like others have said, it sounds like a real band, going for it, proving something big.

No telling how it would do in 2001-2 if it came out then. IMO, songs like Perhaps and TWAT could've been hits. The band did have a lot of momentum, attention and curiosity, until the botched '02 tour. Would love to hear what guys like Finck and Stinson, who put in so much damn time, think about our positive reception of this.

10 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

People were misinformed when told that AFD99 was part of this. Turns out it’s just a disc from 2001 with WTTJ, electric KOHD (two takes), and acoustic KOHD. Axl only sings on the last one. That’s it.

Sean did most of the heavy lifting, for sure.

I need electric KOHD with Bucket solo

18 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

Atlas is a poorly crafted song. It has too many words in it - it seems like Axl just never stops singing to let the music be.

You can tell and it's awkward because as the chords change from the verse to the pre-chorus, Axl just keeps on singing and it seems like he gets lost in the song from time to time or the song loses him.

Atlas does nothing for me as well. 

1 minute ago, Creed said:

and you guys even like the pitman stuff? 

like the beautiful drum machine in prostitute and the techno shit in silkworms?

and i definately like this one unfinished spot in atlas where the band dont seem to know how to fix it...

like come on...this rough mix is still far away from being really good. i can hear a lot of audio cgi that should never be in rock songs...

For sure, the album needs some refinement. But the overall sound of it is spot on IMO. The songs sound alive and full of energy.

Some of my excitement may be coming from being disappointed in how flat some of the songs sound on the '08 record, knowing at the core they should sound amazing.

Not perfect of course, i mean these were only rough mixes, but i wish they would have mastered and released this in 2000/2001.

Pitman stuff: its a bit too much for me, but could have been toned down during mastering. As for Atlas, not my cup of tea but blends in well i think with these rough mixes.

6 minutes ago, Creed said:

and i definately like this one unfinished spot in atlas where the band dont seem to know how to fix it...

like come on...this rough mix is still far away from being really good. i can hear a lot of audio cgi that should never be in rock songs...

It's called 'rough mixes' for a reason, and even then, most of this songs are pretty much complete. They sound great, and obviously with more mixing and mastering, could have made an amazing album in the early 2000's. There was no need to waste 8 years.

10 minutes ago, Creed said:

It is great yes ... everybody has different taste ... I dont understand one thing why you comment this leaks when it is clear you dont like CD era ? 

• Like 1