Chinese Democracy (2008) vs Rough Mixes CD #1 (2000)

Chinese Democracy (2008) vs Rough Mixes CD #1 (2000)   

257 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Both versions work best with the disk that they accompany.

Edit- thought you meant the song. Regarding album, I'll still take the studio version. TWAT with Bucket and Better are 2 of my favorite songs.

Shame this album wasnt released back in 2001. It truly is a shame.

Edited by Coma16

Rough mixes doesn't sound so cut and paste and nothing is drowned out in the the mix. It doesn't have If The World or Scraped, even Silkworms is tolerable as the last song. I don't think its an amazing album or anything but the label would have been better off putting this out than proceeding to spend another 8 years and millions of dollars so Axl could add layer after layer to the same damn songs.

Edited by -W.A.R-

I voted for Rough Mixes CD 1. It sounds better and flows better. Sure, it sucks to lose Shackler's, Sorry, Better, This I Love, If the World and IRS, but the gains in Atlas, Perhaps and the overall sound and flow make up for it. The biggest thing i miss is probably the orchestral arrangements in '08.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

I love that both are available, but if I could only pick one, I'd stick with the 2008 album.

• Buckethead solos
  • Better & Shackler's, I.R.S.
  • Improved SOD outro

However if this album came out in 2000 or 2001 and a proper follow-up that was heavy on Buckethead was to come out the following year, I'd be all for it.

• Like 1

A number of points:

Madagascar is the perfect opener in its rough mix state. It's not burdened with over-production like its official counterpart.

There was a Time is superior on '08 as Buckethead essentially transforms it from a rock song to an epic.

Atlas Shrugged is near-perfect and slots nicely to the Rough Mixes CD (and would have done the same to Chinese Democracy).

Perhaps is fantastic all around and is one of the standouts. It shares similar DNA to UYI and could have been a single.

Prostitute is Prostitute. It sounds good but like TWAT, i prefer the '08 version.

Rhiad is just so much better on the Rough Mixes. It's balls to the wall.

Catcher in the Rye is simply superior. Brian is superb.

Chinese Democracy, like Madagascar is free from overproduction. It's unadulterated rock, and while i miss the build up on the official version, i prefer the sound on the rough mix.

The Blues - That clarity though. I prefer it to the album counterpart.

Silkworms. I hate the song, but it works as an aggressive industrial closer not dissimilar to My World.

I do miss the other songs from Chinese Democracy, but the Rough Mixes have their own great songs and sound. I think the potential was there for 2000 Intentions. At this time, i prefer the rough mixes.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Guns N' Roses leaks are like buses. You wait forever for one then about 200 of the buggers appear!

I'm utterly confused with all the leaks I'm afraid! Gave up downloading them. 

If anything, it's worth picking up the Rough Mixes CDs. They seem to have the best quality takes. Only the first has leaked so far.

• Like 2

I think the new leaks are exciting and that obviously as it’s new and unheard it makes people biased towards the unreleased stuff. Had it actually have been a real album I’m not sure on how well it would have been received.

I don’t think the rough mixes are perfect, a bit more work required, equally the final album felt like it had too much work done in places. I wonder if there’s a middle version from say 2006 which would be perfect?

in terms of individual songs, I like Atlas and especially Perhaps (Hardschool is also decent although I guess that doesn’t count as it wasn’t on “mix 1”), along with the original “The Blues” so it’s a shame those songs aren’t on the final album. I don’t particularly like a couple of CD songs eg Riad, Scraped, Shacklers but it’s seens like they’d have probably have been released any way, either in album 1 or another one, along with Silkworms.

I’d have to lean towards the real 2008 album. In a perfect world Scraped, Shacklers, Riad, Sorry would have been dumped for Atlas, Perhaps and Hardschool with the 2001 Blues version instead of Street of Dreams

49 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

A number of points:

Madagascar is the perfect opener in its rough mix state. It's not burdened with over-production like its official counterpart.

There was a Time is superior on '08 as Buckethead essentially transforms it from a rock song to an epic.

Atlas Shrugged is near-perfect and slots nicely to the Rough Mixes CD (and would have done the same to Chinese Democracy).

Perhaps is fantastic all around and is one of the standouts. It shares similar DNA to UYI and could have been a single.

Prostitute is Prostitute. It sounds good but like TWAT, i prefer the '08 version.

Rhiad is just so much better on the Rough Mixes. It's balls to the wall.

Catcher in the Rye is simply superior. Brian is superb.

Chinese Democracy, like Madagascar is free from overproduction. It's unadulterated rock, and while i miss the build up on the official version, i prefer the sound on the rough mix.

The Blues - That clarity though. I prefer it to the album counterpart.

Silkworms. I hate the song, but it works as an aggressive industrial closer not dissimilar to My World.

I do miss the other songs from Chinese Democracy, but the Rough Mixes have their own great songs and sound. I think the potential was there for 2000 Intentions. At this time, i prefer the rough mixes.

Great analysis. I'm with you on TWAT, but I personally do prefer the Rough Mixes Prostitute. Other than that you're spot on imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gackt said:

I love that both are available, but if I could only pick one, I'd stick with the 2008 album.

• Buckethead solos
  • Better & Shackler's, I.R.S.
  • Improved SOD outro

However if this album came out in 2000 or 2001 and a proper follow-up that was heavy on Buckethead was to come out the following year, I'd be all for it.

Bucket's Twat solo over everything. Axl should spend a week at Bucket's and just sing over loads of Pikes. Look what he did in no time at all with Stuck Inside. 

Just now, Jordan Rose said:

Bucket's Twat solo over everything. Axl should spend a week at Bucket's and just sing over loads of Pikes. Look what he did in no time at all with Stuck Inside. 

Weeks? For fucks sake man, at Axl's speed weeks would barely be enough for one "Ahhhh aaaaahhhh".