Rough Mixes CD #3 Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

10 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Oh man - just made the connection that a song called "Billionaire" turned into a song about child abuse called "The General" 

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet

Billionaire was dated 10/15/00. Brain joined mid 2000s and in these mixes he’s just laying down drum tracks on the first album stuff. And he wrote The General.

Really doubt it

• Like 1

Was reading the Rolling Stone interview again where they mention hearing Oklahoma as an instrumental. They heard that back in November 1999... The mix from this CD is from March 2000 but the CD itself must be from November 2000 at the earliest as there are tracks mixed from that date. So a year later and still no vocals... wonder where they were finally laid down? Had it changed name to Berlin by then?

Here's the quote if no one's ever read it before:

Another song, called “Oklahoma” – heard tonight only as an instrumental – was inspired by a court date with ex-wife Erin Everly. “I was sitting in my litigation with my ex-wife, and it was the day after the bombing,” Rose remembers with a wince. “We had a break, and I’m sitting with my attorneys with a sort of smile on my face, more like a nervous thing – it was like, ‘Forgive me, people, I’m having trouble taking this seriously.’ It’s just ironic that we’re sitting there and this person is spewing all kinds of things and 168 people just got killed. And this person I’m sitting there with, she don’t care. Obliterating me is their goal.”

Only listened to a few previously unheard tracks so far but it’s very reminiscent of Bucket’s solo albums to me. I would’ve killed to hear a full bucket and album collaboration instead of just a few instances on Chinese. It’s just another thing that Axl wasted an opportunity to do that kills me to know could’ve been. But to be positive, great tracks from what I’ve listened to. A ton of potential. 

For all these years the track I've wanted to hear the most was always Oklahoma... Wonder if it was part of the 96 sessions. Sounds very GNR. The bass sounds very much like Duff. I wonder if he wrote the parts and Tommy re-recordef them. Excellent instrumental. Very GNR sounding. What surprises me is that there's barely any solos on these tracks. I also wonder if the big solos get done only after the vocals so that Axl can choose to fill which parts he desires with vocals first and then the guitar player gets the space that's left for himself.

Devious Bastard might be the best instrumental, so fucking funky.

I remember Phil Anselmo describing Pantera as the best Power groove band in the world. That's what this tune is a fucking power groove

These instrumentals are all amazing, all I can hope is there are versions with vocals someone has that one day we can hear somehow.

It may be heresey to say it but.... They make me wish Slash & Duff were not here & Bucket & Tommy were.

Heavy hook on Dummy immense. 

Some amazing Fucking Bass tones on these last few discs we got. Unlike released Chidem album which has none at all.

6 hours ago, TMAC20 said:

So u cats found leaks of Chinese Democracy and no vocals from Ax 

and u think these songs are good 

give me a fucking break 

I’ll give it to u millinery folks - u got it bad man 

if they didn’t make Democracy I can’t even imagine how bad they r 

because Chinese is a dumpster 🔥 

DAMN

Saying something is bad without experiencing the said thing is just dumb, because then you have no way of arguing or explaining your opinion. They are just hollow words without substance and no reasonable person takes them seriously.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Axl ... dude, I never doubted you but I know a lot of people did.

You were right.  You were right all along.

Long live Axl Rose. 

This is exactly what I was thinking.

So many years wasted. So many people doubted him, laughed at him.

I love the man.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

How different is this version of HS?

Just better audio quality.

Anyway, I was very surprised to find out Oklahoma is a rocker. Who would have thought that? And a really great rocker, actually. I can totally see this being rerecorded with Slash.

My other favorite from the new batch is Dummy. That is pretty epic.

My first thoughts on these:

Billionare

This is not a very interesting instrumental in itself, but it's definitely possible that some of the ideas used here were later used on The General.

Dub Suplex

This song most likely became the Buckethead song Jump Man, so we'll never hear it with Axl's vocals. Kinda shame because I actually prefer this over Jump Man. Would have been interesting to hear Axl's vocals on this one. Although this sounds perhaps more like a rap type song.

State of Grace

Most of us have heard this one already, so not much new to say about it. Some people have speculated that this and Billionare might have been mixed together into The General. I guess anything's possible. The cellphone clip did have some similarities to this if I remember correctly. As it is, it's definitely not strong enough to live up to the legendary status of The General. But if some parts of this song were used as a part of a much bigger and and much more grandious song. I could see it living up to the hype of The General.

Oklahoma

Definitely one of the most old school sounding CD era songs. This is a lot like what I expected Hard School to sound like instrumentally. I would have preferred it to sound more like this.

Devious Bastard

There's so many hard rocking instrumentals in these leaks with potential. But it's up to Axl's vocals if he can raise these songs to another level.

I.R.S

I don't know. The riff isn't loud enough on this mix if you ask me.

Hard School

Didn't hear much of a difference compared to the version we already have. But I only listened to it once.

Dummy

To me this is honestly one of the most interesting instrumentals and one of the most interesting leaks in general. Once upon a time Prostitute was described as sounding like fire and ice. But in my opinion the desription fits this song MUCH better. The contrast between the soft part and the hard rocking part is insane. The soft part is probably the lightest and poppiest sounding part of any GNR song ever and the hard rocking part might be the darkest sounding part of any GNR song. Loved this one much more than I was expecting considering that we've never even heard about Dummy before these leaks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Dummy

To me this is honestly one of the most interesting instrumentals and one of the most interesting leaks in general. Once upon a time Prostitute was described as sounding like fire and ice. But in my opinion the desription fits this song MUCH better. The contrast between the soft part and the hard rocking part is insane.

Exactly this, this song has light and shade. 

If it were a boxing match the poppy parts are like light jabs to the face and then fucking Boom solid body shots for the heavy parts that take you by surprise. Contrast is great in music.

22 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Just better audio quality.

Anyway, I was very surprised to find out Oklahoma is a rocker. Who would have thought that? And a really great rocker, actually. I can totally see this being rerecorded with Slash.

My other favorite from the new batch is Dummy. That is pretty epic.

Would be very interested to see what Slash could do with that track. Rebel would be the obvious tune you might put him on but it's a bit "paint by numbers".

I got to imagine when Slash N Duff were played stuff from the vault to maybe work on, this might be one where they looked at each other and thought hmmmmm yeah something there... we could work with that.