Rough Mixes CD #3 Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

6 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

Dummy was described by 'insiders' as having the same lyric repeated over and over again, which as an instrumental, it obviously doesn't. So don't believe everything you hear.

And no, none of these songs are The General. That was written by Brain and Extrakd over a bucket of General Tso's chicken (hence the title), after these songs. People are so desparate to hear this mythical song that they're seriously reaching and convincing themselves that literally every song that leaks would become The General. 

Nothing (the song) was described with just the same lyric not Dummy 

Edited by Finck2006

1 hour ago, Nizaraul7 said:

Time and again we keep discussing this point..
Axl -alongside original members- made GNR what it is today, one of the greatest bands in music history.
If other members leave, why the heck would he throw away everything he worked his ass so hard for?

Nearly no rock musician, as great as he might have been, made a great solo career, with very few exceptions here and there (Clapton, Ozzy, Sting)

Plus, I just don't think Axl sees it that way. Many songs from CD era, including recent leaks, have seen very important contributions by nuGNR members. Not everything was Axl's.
So the reason CD is not a W.A.R solo effort is that it's NOT a solo effort.
We might discuss whether any alteration of nuGNR was worth it or not, whether it was a good idea to go for a certain member, be we can't call CD a solo effort, for it's not!

I get what you're saying with contributions from others....but Axl would not have hurt the GnR' "Brand" at all by releasing the album under a different band name or solo album either way. GnR was already established as what I call a "Brand" Band...Bands that reach a status through marketing, to which they almost become a company instead of just a band. (Examples: Rolling Stones, Metallica, Nirvana, Beatles, etc...). Even if GnR didn't reform, you'd still see T-Shirts, merchandise, etc...in the pop culture world. When bands reach that status, it's Iconic at that point...he would have thrown nothing away by using a new band name or making Chinese a solo album. The Guns n Roses brand wouldn't just "die out." 

If anything, I believe Axl would have made the album/albums "HE" wanted to make, and gotten that out of his system by the mid-late 2000s. Would he have been as successful as Guns n Roses under a new band name or as a solo artist....I don't think so....but that doesn't mean it would have been a failure. It would probably have been comparable to Paul McCartney under the Wings banner, no matter what he made, he wasn't going to top The Beatles, but did find his own success. But, by the mid-late 2000s, the original GnR members, or at least the majority, may have been ready to give it another go by that point. The Not in This Lifetime Tour could have happened 7-10 years sooner, another GnR album could have already dropped, and everyone could have been enjoying retirement at this point...possibly. 

Think about this example....pure example....How would you feel if all the members of Metallica left the band, apart from James Hetfield. James decides to keep the Metallica "name" going, but hires 3 new musicians from a Non-Metal background. Puts out an album with a more pop/country sound that resembles nothing that Metallica attempted before, under the band name. The same thing would happen to James in that scenario....everyone would question why this release was put out under the Metallica banner, when no one is left but James, and it doesn't resemble the Metallica sound/style at all. Using the "Metallica" name would be wrong in that scenario as well. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, papashaun said:

I get what you're saying with contributions from others....but Axl would not have hurt the GnR' "Brand" at all by releasing the album under a different band name or solo album either way. GnR was already established as what I call a "Brand" Band...Bands that reach a status through marketing, to which they almost become a company instead of just a band. (Examples: Rolling Stones, Metallica, Nirvana, Beatles, etc...). Even if GnR didn't reform, you'd still see T-Shirts, merchandise, etc...in the pop culture world. When bands reach that status, it's Iconic at that point...he would have thrown nothing away by using a new band name or making Chinese a solo album. The Guns n Roses brand wouldn't just "die out." 

If anything, I believe Axl would have made the album/albums "HE" wanted to make, and gotten that out of his system by the mid-late 2000s. Would he have been as successful as Guns n Roses under a new band name or as a solo artist....I don't think so....but that doesn't mean it would have been a failure. It would probably have been comparable to Paul McCartney under the Wings banner, no matter what he made, he wasn't going to top The Beatles, but did find his own success. But, by the mid-late 2000s, the original GnR members, or at least the majority, may have been ready to give it another go by that point. The Not in This Lifetime Tour could have happened 7-10 years sooner, another GnR album could have already dropped, and everyone could have been enjoying retirement at this point...possibly. 

Think about this example....pure example....How would you feel if all the members of Metallica left the band, apart from James Hetfield. James decides to keep the Metallica "name" going, but hires 3 new musicians from a Non-Metal background. Puts out an album with a more pop/country sound that resembles nothing that Metallica attempted before, under the band name. The same thing would happen to James in that scenario....everyone would question why this release was put out under the Metallica banner, when no one is left but James, and it doesn't resemble the Metallica sound/style at all. Using the "Metallica" name would be wrong in that scenario as well. 

It’s their lives and their bands. In Axl’s case he had the name. If Metallica w Hetfield wanted to go country that’s their prerogative. Why hold artists to these preconceived boundaries? Don’t you want them to express themselves through their art the way they see fit? The Beatles went through a lot of changes between Meet The Beatles and Revolver. Some would say they sound like completely different bands. By the end Ringo wasn’t even playing drums on singles. 

It’s your choice to like it or not as a fan. 

Id say there’s a freak ton of what ifs for the above to play out the way you said above. Nobody knows how it would play out. Maybe this way is the only scenario where you’d get Slash back in the band. We can either accept reality or not 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • GNFNR 1

I think the thing is that most musicians go through a phase where they don’t want to play the classic songs they wrote in their 20s/early30s and go off and do something different.

Its why so many bands break up or people leave because they don’t want to do the same thing over and over again.

But I think Axl kept the name (although I think we would of got CD2 & 3 of he hadn’t) and was happy with its legacy. I mean he took the entirely new band on tour and most of the set list was Appetite. He was happy to belt out SCOM every night.

At this point we need big, expensive box with all nuGnR Vault so both band and fans can move on. I don't want Slash messing with Buckets music and I would prefer Slash to do his own thing on new album. 

Music is absolutely gorgeous, makes me sad Finck left and then Reunion happened before we got trilogy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

That was just a joke, IMO. Axl never really called any piece of music with that title. And even if he had, he said it was just something orchestral (or was just instrumental? I don't remember) and nothing for the band. So no, Devious is not the same thing.

Yes, it was instrumental:

Axl: The instrumental I wrote for End of Days that’s more a solo effort at least presently. [Forum chats, 2008]

• Thanks 1

Yeah, a box set would be pretty sweet, but it won't happen because of the current lineup.

You're not gonna release *The Chinese Democracy Years" or "The Lost Years" box set with Slash and Duff back. It's more likely we'll get some of those songs, re-worked with Axl and Duff and the rest of the band recording parts. New vocals too. I'd actually prefer that route. Because THEN, you could release a "collector's edition" of a new GNR record with earlier demos as well. But this is GNR and GNR don't do these types of things.

Edited by GnR Chris

The thing that bothers me most is that people won't accept the fact that musicians are people, and they mature too...

How could you possibly expect a man who's one of the most known and richest rock stars of all time - to top it off nearing his 60's to write music the same way he did when he was an angry, poor, pretty much homeless 20-something with nothing to lose and when completely nothing was expected of him?

People change, tastes evolve, you've all gone through it, why doesn't Axl have the right to?

He's an artist. He owes nothing to anyone, except for that one album left for the damn label.

He's got a stable life and healthy family (albeit not a real "blood" one) now and is in a much different place.

Let him express himself. You want AFD2? Write it yourself. Hell, make the lyrics about how "Evil Axl" doesn't want to repeat the same thing over and over because you demand it.

8 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

I don't know how many people are actually saying that any of these songs is The General. But 14 Years for example was originally two different songs, until they decided to mix those together. Everybody knows that The General was written by Brain, but obviously not everything about it was written by him. So when Brain had written the first rough version of the song, Axl could have decided to mix some elements of these songs into that one. Nobody knows. Not you or me. But people like to speculate. It's fun!

Your guess is probably accurate, i feel the same way!

25 minutes ago, Creed said:

Bill Brasky said that 'dummy' is the worst GnR song ever made. Worse than My World and Billionaire? 

Bill Brasky is a Foo Fighters fan, who didnt mention that Quick Song sounds like a Nirvana song. 

He also said that Axl is in great shape.

A lot of his prophecies are simply wrong.

Some of them were right tho.

24 minutes ago, Creed said:

Bill Brasky said that 'dummy' is the worst GnR song ever made. Worse than My World and Billionaire? 

Bill Brasky is a Foo Fighters fan, who didnt mention that Quick Song sounds like a Nirvana song. 

He also said that Axl is in great shape.

A lot of his prophecies are simply wrong.

Are opinions and everybody can do a mistake

Quick song was described like smells like teen spirit years ago.

So he was right about 3 dollar pyramid=better and at the time all the others songs are instrumentals like he said.

He has more info than you & me for sure.

5 minutes ago, Finck2006 said:

Are opinions and everybody can do a mistake

Quick song was described like smells like teen spirit years ago.

So he was right about 3 dollar pyramid=better and at the time all the others songs are instrumentals like he said.

He has more info than you & me for sure.

Rapping Axl on Eye On You wasn’t false too (although I don’t consider what he did there a rap)

He said that Quick Song vocals is just Axl noises - to what we heard from 10s snippet pretty acurate

Perhaps being the best Brian May song is more of an opinion but based on how it was received I consider it true

About Atlas being snoozefest he was kinda right too but I enjoy it anyway

So he definitely knows more than us but sometimes he spreads BS

17 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Yeah if Axl told Baz that "The General" was going to be a sequel to "Estranged", I would assume it would have multiple movements like Estranged did - so it's possible Axl merged a bunch of songs together to make "The General"

Estranged itself was originally 2 different songs that got merged

The guitars in SOG sound just like the guitars on the General Cell phone clip. The song feels too short. It feels like it could bring so much more. 

The leaks sound incredible. 

I'd say from Rough Mixes CD #1-#3, excluding material that made Chinese Democracy, Axl has 5 really strong cuts and a couple of very interesting B-Sides.

The only legitimate points Bob Ezrin has is that these aren't always highly commercial, mainstream songs. They lack big solos, the themes are more mature, and Axl's lyrics can be alienating.

But Madagascar, Prostitute, The Blues and the new songs like Atlas, Perhaps, and Oklahoma belong in the conversation of the top of Gn'R's Pantheon. 

It doesn't matter, criticism be damned, this all should've been released a long time ago.

It's a shame.

Hope we get vocals on the instrumental tracks and an official release somewhere shortly down the pike. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Rip Van Winkle just called and he thinks that's messed up.

Honestly though, I've been on this forum since 2008 (2009 registered) and stopped visiting about 2 years ago. Started visiting again a month or so ago and didn't even bother coming to this forum...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

The leaks sound incredible. 

I'd say from Rough Mixes CD #1-#3, excluding material that made Chinese Democracy, Axl has 5 really strong cuts and a couple of very interesting B-Sides.

The only legitimate points Bob Ezrin has is that these aren't always highly commercial, mainstream songs. They lack big solos, the themes are more mature, and Axl's lyrics can be alienating.

But Madagascar, Prostitute, The Blues and the new songs like Atlas, Perhaps, and Oklahoma belong in the conversation of the top of Gn'R's Pantheon. 

It doesn't matter, criticism be damned, this all should've been released a long time ago.

It's a shame.

Hope we get vocals on the instrumental tracks and an official release somewhere shortly down the pike. 

No one was doing big solos in the late 90’s/2002. The songs are definitely more mature and that’s not a bad thing. There’s a place and need for that. The issue was the huge advance and the label’s need to recoup or write it off 

6 hours ago, sofine11 said:

Why did SOG & Hardschool sound so much better in last nights leaks? Weren't they taken from the same disc initially?

Yes, but the previous leaker altered and released them in poorer quality. Perhaps, for example,  was actually cut at 1:34 and the word 'now'  was removed from the third line of the first chorus.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1