Jump to content
Live Like a Suicide

Rough Mixes CD #3 Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, papashaun said:

Axl made a huge mistake releasing under the GnR banner

Time and again we keep discussing this point..
Axl -alongside original members- made GNR what it is today, one of the greatest bands in music history.
If other members leave, why the heck would he throw away everything he worked his ass so hard for?

Nearly no rock musician, as great as he might have been, made a great solo career, with very few exceptions here and there (Clapton, Ozzy, Sting)

Plus, I just don't think Axl sees it that way. Many songs from CD era, including recent leaks, have seen very important contributions by nuGNR members. Not everything was Axl's.
So the reason CD is not a W.A.R solo effort is that it's NOT a solo effort.
We might discuss whether any alteration of nuGNR was worth it or not, whether it was a good idea to go for a certain member, be we can't call CD a solo effort, for it's not!

  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone imagine waiting years to hear the vocals of the instrumental tracks off of this cd?? It's gonna be a huge nightmare..if anyone thought waiting for the 2008 official album was long ..well..the anticipation is gonna be rough to bare:(...so this is kid of a bad thing to hear these instrumentals as it will be unfulfilling for a very long time possibly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, papashaun said:

I've always thought if Chinese Democracy was released under "W.Axl Rose" as a solo album, instead of a GnR album, it would have done great commercially. Axl made a huge mistake releasing under the GnR banner.....Much like Van Halen 3 should have been an Eddie Van Halen solo album.  This would have been well received as a solo album I believe, and an actual GnR Reunion/new album may have came to fruition much sooner. 

I agree with you, even though Axl didn't write everything by himself it would have still made more sense to release as a solo record, or different band name. It would have put Axl at a whole new level and it probably would have opened the doors to a 2006ish reunion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me Oklahoma and Devius Bastard are the more interesting new tracks, want to hear with Axl vocals. But my favourite is Hardschool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gnr5 said:

I agree with you, even though Axl didn't write everything by himself it would have still made more sense to release as a solo record, or different band name. It would have put Axl at a whole new level and it probably would have opened the doors to a 2006ish reunion

He would have gotten a lot better media coverage and good vibes from the audiences. Granted he may not have been able to headline as many festivals under his own name but he probably would have found it much easier to release music and do things a normal recording artist does.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bassplayer1993 said:

For all these years the track I've wanted to hear the most was always Oklahoma... Wonder if it was part of the 96 sessions. Sounds very GNR. The bass sounds very much like Duff. I wonder if he wrote the parts and Tommy re-recordef them. Excellent instrumental. Very GNR sounding. What surprises me is that there's barely any solos on these tracks. I also wonder if the big solos get done only after the vocals so that Axl can choose to fill which parts he desires with vocals first and then the guitar player gets the space that's left for himself.

I agree, Oklahoma sounds very good. About the lack of solos: I think it's pretty much what you said. And maybe Axl didnt want to get any pre-conceived solos before he actually started working on the tracks with all the bells and whistles, which can be translated to lead guitars and Pitman's goofy FX. That may explain why those tracks are mostly guitar-driven.

7 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Devious could be can the devil do mommy and me ?

 

I dunno why just feels kind of fitting that one could be the other 

That was just a joke, IMO. Axl never really called any piece of music with that title. And even if he had, he said it was just something orchestral (or was just instrumental? I don't remember) and nothing for the band. So no, Devious is not the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BucketFinckFortus said:

I'm afraid yes, iirc most of the band didn't even meet during that time, GNR future was really uncertain. Axl probably had some ideas going around, recorded lyrics and vocals on tracks that are missing (not only the ones released on CD) and that's it.

So basically i think RTB continued in 2001 with Brain redoing the Drums and BH guitar work. They also obviously finished better into a full song at some point as at this stage it was a early demo. Axl probably did some more vocals etc.

Then in 2002/3 they did all the orchestrations and stuff probably post that aborted tour etc. But then Bucket left in early 2004 and they didn't do a whole lot until 2006 - hence Tommy put out that solo album in 2004 and went and toured it etc.

So i think the real inactive years were probably mid 2003 until 2006.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

Dummy was described by 'insiders' as having the same lyric repeated over and over again, which as an instrumental, it obviously doesn't. So don't believe everything you hear.

And no, none of these songs are The General. That was written by Brain and Extrakd over a bucket of General Tso's chicken (hence the title), after these songs. People are so desparate to hear this mythical song that they're seriously reaching and convincing themselves that literally every song that leaks would become The General. 

Nothing (the song) was described with just the same lyric not Dummy 

Edited by Finck2006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nizaraul7 said:

Time and again we keep discussing this point..
Axl -alongside original members- made GNR what it is today, one of the greatest bands in music history.
If other members leave, why the heck would he throw away everything he worked his ass so hard for?

Nearly no rock musician, as great as he might have been, made a great solo career, with very few exceptions here and there (Clapton, Ozzy, Sting)

Plus, I just don't think Axl sees it that way. Many songs from CD era, including recent leaks, have seen very important contributions by nuGNR members. Not everything was Axl's.
So the reason CD is not a W.A.R solo effort is that it's NOT a solo effort.
We might discuss whether any alteration of nuGNR was worth it or not, whether it was a good idea to go for a certain member, be we can't call CD a solo effort, for it's not!

I get what you're saying with contributions from others....but Axl would not have hurt the GnR' "Brand" at all by releasing the album under a different band name or solo album either way. GnR was already established as what I call a "Brand" Band...Bands that reach a status through marketing, to which they almost become a company instead of just a band. (Examples: Rolling Stones, Metallica, Nirvana, Beatles, etc...). Even if GnR didn't reform, you'd still see T-Shirts, merchandise, etc...in the pop culture world. When bands reach that status, it's Iconic at that point...he would have thrown nothing away by using a new band name or making Chinese a solo album. The Guns n Roses brand wouldn't just "die out." 

If anything, I believe Axl would have made the album/albums "HE" wanted to make, and gotten that out of his system by the mid-late 2000s. Would he have been as successful as Guns n Roses under a new band name or as a solo artist....I don't think so....but that doesn't mean it would have been a failure. It would probably have been comparable to Paul McCartney under the Wings banner, no matter what he made, he wasn't going to top The Beatles, but did find his own success. But, by the mid-late 2000s, the original GnR members, or at least the majority, may have been ready to give it another go by that point. The Not in This Lifetime Tour could have happened 7-10 years sooner, another GnR album could have already dropped, and everyone could have been enjoying retirement at this point...possibly. 

Think about this example....pure example....How would you feel if all the members of Metallica left the band, apart from James Hetfield. James decides to keep the Metallica "name" going, but hires 3 new musicians from a Non-Metal background. Puts out an album with a more pop/country sound that resembles nothing that Metallica attempted before, under the band name. The same thing would happen to James in that scenario....everyone would question why this release was put out under the Metallica banner, when no one is left but James, and it doesn't resemble the Metallica sound/style at all. Using the "Metallica" name would be wrong in that scenario as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, papashaun said:

I get what you're saying with contributions from others....but Axl would not have hurt the GnR' "Brand" at all by releasing the album under a different band name or solo album either way. GnR was already established as what I call a "Brand" Band...Bands that reach a status through marketing, to which they almost become a company instead of just a band. (Examples: Rolling Stones, Metallica, Nirvana, Beatles, etc...). Even if GnR didn't reform, you'd still see T-Shirts, merchandise, etc...in the pop culture world. When bands reach that status, it's Iconic at that point...he would have thrown nothing away by using a new band name or making Chinese a solo album. The Guns n Roses brand wouldn't just "die out." 

If anything, I believe Axl would have made the album/albums "HE" wanted to make, and gotten that out of his system by the mid-late 2000s. Would he have been as successful as Guns n Roses under a new band name or as a solo artist....I don't think so....but that doesn't mean it would have been a failure. It would probably have been comparable to Paul McCartney under the Wings banner, no matter what he made, he wasn't going to top The Beatles, but did find his own success. But, by the mid-late 2000s, the original GnR members, or at least the majority, may have been ready to give it another go by that point. The Not in This Lifetime Tour could have happened 7-10 years sooner, another GnR album could have already dropped, and everyone could have been enjoying retirement at this point...possibly. 

Think about this example....pure example....How would you feel if all the members of Metallica left the band, apart from James Hetfield. James decides to keep the Metallica "name" going, but hires 3 new musicians from a Non-Metal background. Puts out an album with a more pop/country sound that resembles nothing that Metallica attempted before, under the band name. The same thing would happen to James in that scenario....everyone would question why this release was put out under the Metallica banner, when no one is left but James, and it doesn't resemble the Metallica sound/style at all. Using the "Metallica" name would be wrong in that scenario as well. 

It’s their lives and their bands. In Axl’s case he had the name. If Metallica w Hetfield wanted to go country that’s their prerogative. Why hold artists to these preconceived boundaries? Don’t you want them to express themselves through their art the way they see fit? The Beatles went through a lot of changes between Meet The Beatles and Revolver. Some would say they sound like completely different bands. By the end Ringo wasn’t even playing drums on singles. 

It’s your choice to like it or not as a fan. 

Id say there’s a freak ton of what ifs for the above to play out the way you said above. Nobody knows how it would play out. Maybe this way is the only scenario where you’d get Slash back in the band. We can either accept reality or not 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the thing is that most musicians go through a phase where they don’t want to play the classic songs they wrote in their 20s/early30s and go off and do something different.

Its why so many bands break up or people leave because they don’t want to do the same thing over and over again.

But I think Axl kept the name (although I think we would of got CD2 & 3 of he hadn’t) and was happy with its legacy. I mean he took the entirely new band on tour and most of the set list was Appetite. He was happy to belt out SCOM every night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point we need big, expensive box with all nuGnR Vault so both band and fans can move on. I don't want Slash messing with Buckets music and I would prefer Slash to do his own thing on new album. 

 

Music is absolutely gorgeous, makes me sad Finck left and then Reunion happened before we got trilogy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

That was just a joke, IMO. Axl never really called any piece of music with that title. And even if he had, he said it was just something orchestral (or was just instrumental? I don't remember) and nothing for the band. So no, Devious is not the same thing.

Yes, it was instrumental:

Axl: The instrumental I wrote for End of Days that’s more a solo effort at least presently. [Forum chats, 2008]

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, a box set would be pretty sweet, but it won't happen because of the current lineup.

You're not gonna release *The Chinese Democracy Years" or "The Lost Years" box set with Slash and Duff back. It's more likely we'll get some of those songs, re-worked with Axl and Duff and the rest of the band recording parts. New vocals too. I'd actually prefer that route. Because THEN, you could release a "collector's edition" of a new GNR record with earlier demos as well. But this is GNR and GNR don't do these types of things.

Edited by GnR Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that bothers me most is that people won't accept the fact that musicians are people, and they mature too...

How could you possibly expect a man who's one of the most known and richest rock stars of all time - to top it off nearing his 60's to write music the same way he did when he was an angry, poor, pretty much homeless 20-something with nothing to lose and when completely nothing was expected of him?

People change, tastes evolve, you've all gone through it, why doesn't Axl have the right to?

He's an artist. He owes nothing to anyone, except for that one album left for the damn label.

He's got a stable life and healthy family (albeit not a real "blood" one) now and is in a much different place.

Let him express himself. You want AFD2? Write it yourself. Hell, make the lyrics about how "Evil Axl" doesn't want to repeat the same thing over and over because you demand it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

I don't know how many people are actually saying that any of these songs is The General. But 14 Years for example was originally two different songs, until they decided to mix those together. Everybody knows that The General was written by Brain, but obviously not everything about it was written by him. So when Brain had written the first rough version of the song, Axl could have decided to mix some elements of these songs into that one. Nobody knows. Not you or me. But people like to speculate. It's fun!

Your guess is probably accurate, i feel the same way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gnrfan2001 said:

If you combine Rough CD #2 and Rough CD #3, you have an album that rivals AFD...

LMAOOO  Fuck if you guys don't take "Freedom of Speech" to a whole new level. smh

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kannon21 said:

LMAOOO  Fuck if you guys don't take "Freedom of Speech" to a whole new level. smh

Yeah how DARE someone have a different opinion than you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, h2sublime said:

Yeah how DARE someone have a different opinion than you?

'mustache', you just made the list. let me tell you sth, brother...you gonna leak in the next 3 hours.

Edited by Creed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Finck2006 said:

Nothing (the song) was described with just the same lyric not Dummy 

Bill Brasky said that 'dummy' is the worst GnR song ever made. Worse than My World and Billionaire? 

Bill Brasky is a Foo Fighters fan, who didnt mention that Quick Song sounds like a Nirvana song. 

He also said that Axl is in great shape.

A lot of his prophecies are simply wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Creed said:

Bill Brasky said that 'dummy' is the worst GnR song ever made. Worse than My World and Billionaire? 

Bill Brasky is a Foo Fighters fan, who didnt mention that Quick Song sounds like a Nirvana song. 

He also said that Axl is in great shape.

A lot of his prophecies are simply wrong.

Some of them were right tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Creed said:

Bill Brasky said that 'dummy' is the worst GnR song ever made. Worse than My World and Billionaire? 

Bill Brasky is a Foo Fighters fan, who didnt mention that Quick Song sounds like a Nirvana song. 

He also said that Axl is in great shape.

A lot of his prophecies are simply wrong.

Are opinions and everybody can do a mistake

Quick song was described like smells like teen spirit years ago.

So he was right about 3 dollar pyramid=better and at the time all the others songs are instrumentals like he said.

He has more info than you & me for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×