Jump to content
D..

Rank the Best Gn'R Guitarist from Best to Worst

Rank the Best Gn'R Guitarist from Best to Worst  

501 members have voted

  1. 1. Rank the Best Gn'R Guitarist from Best to Worst



Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

1.Slash and Izzy, Izzy and Slash.

2. Everyone else.

3. Ashba.

Bucket and Bumble aren't just everyone else sure they are not original members but you go to at least credit them for being great guitar players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Slash (c'mon)
2. Buckethead (virtuoso) 
3. Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (technical wizard)
4. Robin Finck (genuine energy)
5. Izzy Stradlin (Iconic)
6. Richard Fortus (pretty good)
7. DJ Ashba (eh)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robin

Slash 

Bumblefoot 

Izzy 

Fortus 

Buckethead

and there's somebody else, but his name...just escapes me right now ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even Gary Sunshine contributed more than Ashba :lol:

But my vote would have to go to either Slash or Izzy

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna include Gilby & Paul in my list since they did contribute to a full album and tour with the band.

1. Slash

2. Buckethead

3. Bumblefoot

4. Robin

5. Izzy

6. Gilby

7. Fortus

8. Paul

9. Ashba

Cant believe this band has had 9 guitars players...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is more my personal preference not necessarily according to their ability. I recognize Bumble is good but he's annoying as fuck.

1. Slash
2. Buckethead
3. Izzy Stradlin
4. Robin Finck
5. Richard Fortus
6. Paul Huge
7. Gilby Clarke
8. Bumblefoot
9. DJ Ashba

Edited by Sisyphus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Showman:

1. Slash

2. Finck

3. Fortus

4. Ashba

 

Song Writting

1. Izzy

2. Slash

3. Finck

4. Fotus

 

Techinical

1.a. Buckethead

1.b. Bumblefoot

3. Fortus

4. Slash

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slash best DJ worst...also Slash has become more technical over the years. I've never really paid attention to the others except for Izzy, anyway I don't like them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The best" as in my favorite Gn'R guitarist is Slash. Not going to rank. There's Zeppelin/Aerosmith/AC/DC in the cocktail but the style and sound are unique and sleazy. There can only be one.

No one who followed in Page's footsteps sounds that good imo. It's like the blueprint was already there, but he somehow expanded on it in such a perfect way. When he plays, he speaks Slash and it's not just solos or riffs, it's both. That's special on that level.

In Guns he checks all the boxes: taste, chops, emotion, personality, creativity and image.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Axl Rose aka God said:

1. Slash (c'mon)
2. Buckethead (virtuoso) 
3. Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (technical wizard)
4. Robin Finck (genuine energy)
5. Izzy Stradlin (Iconic)
6. Richard Fortus (pretty good)
7. DJ Ashba (eh)

This

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rovim said:

"The best" as in my favorite Gn'R guitarist is Slash. Not going to rank. There's Zeppelin/Aerosmith/AC/DC in the cocktail but the style and sound are unique and sleazy. There can only be one.

No one who followed in Page's footsteps sounds that good imo. It's like the blueprint was already there, but he somehow expanded on it in such a perfect way. When he plays, he speaks Slash and it's not just solos or riffs, it's both. That's special on that level.

In Guns he checks all the boxes: taste, chops, emotion, personality, creativity and image.

I never thought of the Guns guitar sound as especially sleazy.  I mean I see where you're coming from and its on oft-stated thing but I just never heard it in em.  Johnny Thunders, now thats fuckin' sleazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF!?

I really LOVE those topics sometimes.

'Slash not that technically good',  'this or that player has better timing'  :lol::lol::lol:

The guy IS fuckin' Guns N Roses!

TIME ranked him second after Hendrix in the history.  Ahead of Page, Van Halen, Prince, Clapton, Sambora, May..., but some think Bucketfoot is better, Finck is better...

Well guess what?  You put him on one side and all the others on the others and the leverage is still on his side so AMEN to that.

1986-93 was Guns N Roses time, 93- is GNR semi-tribute time that plays GNR 1986-93, some covers and a couple of Axl solo songs.

As Axl would say 'If you really wanna know...'

Music wise, look wise, charisma wise, attitude, passion wise GNR stoped to exist July 1993.

2000-2016 was mascara time, with few occasional masks playing parts of GNR, nothing new, nothing exciting.  Now it is Slash, couple of friends and few hired hands waiting for GNR members to rejoin and create something new worth playing,

Edited by shotsfired cro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

 Johnny Thunders, now thats fuckin' sleazy.

Almost too sleazy. Sleazy to a fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

WTF!?

I really LOVE those topics sometimes.

'Slash not that technically good',  'this or that player has better timing'  :lol::lol::lol:

The guy IS fuckin' Guns N Roses!

TIME ranked him second after Hendrix in the history.  Ahead of Page, Van Halen, Prince, Clapton, Sambora, May..., but some think Bucketfoot is better, Finck is better...

Well guess what?  You put him on one side and all the others on the others and the leverage is still on his side so AMEN to that.

1986-93 was Guns N Roses time, 93- is GNR semi-tribute time that plays GNR 1986-93, some covers and a couple of Axl solo songs.

As Axl would say 'If you really wanna know...'

Music wise, look wise, charisma wise, attitude, passion wise GNR stoped to exist July 1993.

2000-2016 was mascara time, with few occasional masks playing parts of GNR, nothing new, nothing exciting.  Now it is Slash, couple of friends and few hired hands waiting for GNR members to rejoin and create something new worth playing,

Time actually ranked Slash number 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Time article was about "The 10 Greatest Electric-Guitar Players" (but 11 were listed).

The 10 Greatest Electric-Guitar Players

Aug. 14, 2009
    

TIME's music critic Josh Tyrangiel 'picks' a pantheon of six-string masters. But much like our custom amplifiers, this list goes to 11

It doesn't seem that there was a rank order:

http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1916544_1921910,00.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

Actually - not. #2.

Unless you have different issue.  

I googled Time magazine greatest guitarists but I don't think the list that came up was from Time. Then I saw the issue that you were referring to.  My mistake.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it’s all a matter of taste (or kind of), but god damn, how can you put Ashba or Finck above Slash, I mean I like Robin, but c’mon, if you’re talking about Guns N’ Roses that can’t be debatable. Kids these days.

The arguments get even funnier when some people mention the recent leaks as proof that Finck was great and everything, trying to put him at Slash’s level, well, I heard all the leaks and (even counting Bucket’s contributions there) I didn’t hear any riff or solo at the level of what Slash did in GN’R, or even what he did in Velvet Revolver.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NicoGNR5 said:

I know it’s all a matter of taste (or kind of), but god damn, how can you put Ashba or Finck above Slash, I mean I like Robin, but c’mon, if you’re talking about Guns N’ Roses that can’t be debatable. Kids these days.

The arguments get even funnier when some people mention the recent leaks as proof that Finck was great and everything, trying to put him at Slash’s level, well, I heard all the leaks and (even counting Bucket’s contributions there) I didn’t hear any riff or solo at the level of what Slash did in GN’R, or even what he did in Velvet Revolver.

LOL at "kids these days". I'm not any where close to a kid and I strongly prefer Robin to Slash. Just my opinion though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, slash by a mile when it comes to GNR. 
bucket isn’t to my personal taste and whilst I can appreciate his technical ability, it’s just not my cup of tea. 

Edited by Tadsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×