Rank the Best Gn'R Guitarist from Best to Worst

Rank the Best Gn'R Guitarist from Best to Worst  

503 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is more my personal preference not necessarily according to their ability. I recognize Bumble is good but he's annoying as fuck.

1. Slash
2. Buckethead
3. Izzy Stradlin
4. Robin Finck
5. Richard Fortus
6. Paul Huge
7. Gilby Clarke
8. Bumblefoot
9. DJ Ashba

Edited by Sisyphus

"The best" as in my favorite Gn'R guitarist is Slash. Not going to rank. There's Zeppelin/Aerosmith/AC/DC in the cocktail but the style and sound are unique and sleazy. There can only be one.

No one who followed in Page's footsteps sounds that good imo. It's like the blueprint was already there, but he somehow expanded on it in such a perfect way. When he plays, he speaks Slash and it's not just solos or riffs, it's both. That's special on that level.

In Guns he checks all the boxes: taste, chops, emotion, personality, creativity and image.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Axl Rose aka God said:

1. Slash (c'mon)
2. Buckethead (virtuoso) 
3. Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (technical wizard)
4. Robin Finck (genuine energy)
5. Izzy Stradlin (Iconic)
6. Richard Fortus (pretty good)
7. DJ Ashba (eh)

This

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

"The best" as in my favorite Gn'R guitarist is Slash. Not going to rank. There's Zeppelin/Aerosmith/AC/DC in the cocktail but the style and sound are unique and sleazy. There can only be one.

No one who followed in Page's footsteps sounds that good imo. It's like the blueprint was already there, but he somehow expanded on it in such a perfect way. When he plays, he speaks Slash and it's not just solos or riffs, it's both. That's special on that level.

In Guns he checks all the boxes: taste, chops, emotion, personality, creativity and image.

I never thought of the Guns guitar sound as especially sleazy.  I mean I see where you're coming from and its on oft-stated thing but I just never heard it in em.  Johnny Thunders, now thats fuckin' sleazy.

WTF!?

I really LOVE those topics sometimes.

'Slash not that technically good',  'this or that player has better timing'  :lol::lol::lol:

The guy IS fuckin' Guns N Roses!

TIME ranked him second after Hendrix in the history.  Ahead of Page, Van Halen, Prince, Clapton, Sambora, May..., but some think Bucketfoot is better, Finck is better...

Well guess what?  You put him on one side and all the others on the others and the leverage is still on his side so AMEN to that.

1986-93 was Guns N Roses time, 93- is GNR semi-tribute time that plays GNR 1986-93, some covers and a couple of Axl solo songs.

As Axl would say 'If you really wanna know...'

Music wise, look wise, charisma wise, attitude, passion wise GNR stoped to exist July 1993.

2000-2016 was mascara time, with few occasional masks playing parts of GNR, nothing new, nothing exciting.  Now it is Slash, couple of friends and few hired hands waiting for GNR members to rejoin and create something new worth playing,

Edited by shotsfired cro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

WTF!?

I really LOVE those topics sometimes.

'Slash not that technically good',  'this or that player has better timing'  :lol::lol::lol:

The guy IS fuckin' Guns N Roses!

TIME ranked him second after Hendrix in the history.  Ahead of Page, Van Halen, Prince, Clapton, Sambora, May..., but some think Bucketfoot is better, Finck is better...

Well guess what?  You put him on one side and all the others on the others and the leverage is still on his side so AMEN to that.

1986-93 was Guns N Roses time, 93- is GNR semi-tribute time that plays GNR 1986-93, some covers and a couple of Axl solo songs.

As Axl would say 'If you really wanna know...'

Music wise, look wise, charisma wise, attitude, passion wise GNR stoped to exist July 1993.

2000-2016 was mascara time, with few occasional masks playing parts of GNR, nothing new, nothing exciting.  Now it is Slash, couple of friends and few hired hands waiting for GNR members to rejoin and create something new worth playing,

Time actually ranked Slash number 12.

The Time article was about "The 10 Greatest Electric-Guitar Players" (but 11 were listed).

The 10 Greatest Electric-Guitar Players

Aug. 14, 2009

TIME's music critic Josh Tyrangiel 'picks' a pantheon of six-string masters. But much like our custom amplifiers, this list goes to 11

It doesn't seem that there was a rank order:

http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1916544_1921910,00.html

I know it’s all a matter of taste (or kind of), but god damn, how can you put Ashba or Finck above Slash, I mean I like Robin, but c’mon, if you’re talking about Guns N’ Roses that can’t be debatable. Kids these days.

The arguments get even funnier when some people mention the recent leaks as proof that Finck was great and everything, trying to put him at Slash’s level, well, I heard all the leaks and (even counting Bucket’s contributions there) I didn’t hear any riff or solo at the level of what Slash did in GN’R, or even what he did in Velvet Revolver.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NicoGNR5 said:

I know it’s all a matter of taste (or kind of), but god damn, how can you put Ashba or Finck above Slash, I mean I like Robin, but c’mon, if you’re talking about Guns N’ Roses that can’t be debatable. Kids these days.

The arguments get even funnier when some people mention the recent leaks as proof that Finck was great and everything, trying to put him at Slash’s level, well, I heard all the leaks and (even counting Bucket’s contributions there) I didn’t hear any riff or solo at the level of what Slash did in GN’R, or even what he did in Velvet Revolver.

LOL at "kids these days". I'm not any where close to a kid and I strongly prefer Robin to Slash. Just my opinion though. 

On 9/24/2019 at 9:39 PM, Gibsonfender2323 said:

I think it's impossible  to rank them as best. So I have to do them in catagories 

Technical skill

Bucket

Bumblefoot

Fortus Slash are tied

Finck

Izzy

Ashba

Importance to the overall sound on the studio albums

Izzy

Slash

Bucket

Finck

Paul Tobais

Fortus

Bumblefoot

Gilby

Ashba(Never played on an album)

Songwriting and melody contributions

Izzy(For AFD)

Slash(UYI)

Bucket

Finck

Paul Tobais

Fortus

Bumblefoot

Ashba(Never appeared on a song)

Gilby 

Live Stage Presence and Ability to adapt

Fortus

Slash

Finck

Bucket

Bumble

Ashba 

Gilby

Izzy

technical skill is way off.  How does Ashba even register? Beta, Fernando, and Baz are better technically than him. This is no disrespect to Ashba either.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RussTCB said:

LOL at "kids these days". I'm not any where close to a kid and I strongly prefer Robin to Slash. Just my opinion though. 

I mean you can totally prefer Robin to Slash in a general basis, but when we’re talking about GN’R it just makes no sense to me, it’s like picking Jimmy Crespo instead of Joe Perry for Aerosmith.

I mean, it’s no secret that Slash is one of the biggest “IT” factors that made the band what it is.

• Like 1