The big "Fuck Bob Ezrin" thread

Just now, gabfm said:

Grow up guys ! Bob Ezrin refused to work on the album, but he didn't tell the company "it sucks, don't do it". The company rejected the album because of the new sound. They wanted hits and hard rock.

I doubt they wanted hard rock. They wanted Foo Fighters at most

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

I'm confused on the timeline here. 

Ezrin heard songs then suggested they move to Village. 

These leaks were recorded at Village. 

So maybe these leaks are not what he initially was given?

Bob Ezrin signed on to the project in October 2000

I'm guessing the "Rough Mixes" CD's were compiled in November 2000 for him so he could hear whatever was close to finished at the time he joined

Maybe this is the guy who did the rough mixes? -

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3531

"The album has been mastered ONCE in the past. That was around 1999/2000, George Marino, the guy who mastered it confirmed it to me in an email in the past. However, he also said he had no idea about where it stands now." (Gigger, MyGNR, 12/14/04)

George Marino died in 2012:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Marino

Edited by TheSeeker

30 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

A producer has one real hope when they make an album: that it will have hits on it.

It's nice to make art and work on something that will potentially be remembered, but the bottom line when a producer puts his name on something is that he or she, wants it to be commercially successful. 

I don't blame Ezrin for telling Axl he only had a few songs, because as much as I like Chinese Democracy, I only hear several "hits" on it, too.

Axl rejected the fundamental element that people love about GnR songs: Anthems. 

Paradise City, Sweet Child, Jungle, You Could Be Mine, Nighttrain...fuck...even Knocking on Heaven's Door! A folk song...was turned into an anthem, with a big chorus. Those are "hits" those are "single material."

Axl wrote one song - one song - as an anthem on Chinese Democracy...the title track...and it was the obvious choice as the single, because it stood alone as having that anthemic element. 

Ezrin wanted hit songs. He knew Axl was more than capable of writing them, but he didn't hear them on Chinese Democracy and he was right...because the album when it came out years later, didn't have the goods to stay on radio. Axl's fault on that one.

By the time it was released, rock radio had changed considerably since the late 90’s. It wasn’t the giant it once was nor did plays mean lack of success. People had gravitated away from using it as a source of what’s current

Industry was changing 

Lets also not pretend that UMG put any $ behind radio promo. They weren’t going to pay another million and hire the guys from Hits to keep the song on air. That’s how corporate stations were running then. Still have to grease some hands 

How was the record doing on Big Champagne?

Edited by guitarpatch

7 hours ago, username said:

I made this thread for everybody who would like to say "Fuck you" to Bob Ezrin for turning down the 2000/2001 material and essentially slowing down the Chinese Democracy release for about 7 or 8 years. 

So yeah, I'll go first. 

Fuck you Bob Ezrin! 

If you think that the leaks we heard from the first cd # 1 represent the version of CD that was turned down then I will simple tell you there’s no way any record producer in his right mind would take that. And I don’t believe that was the 1999 version as it’s just too unfinished. They really are the rough demos. In the state many of those tracks are in they don’t belong on a GNR album. 

Axl did not know what he wanted..from his music, his band, or his career. Blaming Bob doesn't change that fundamental fact. The leaks we've heard so far reflect this absence of a clear cohesive vision/direction. 

Axl and Slash began talking in 2015. They started touring in early 2016. We're nearing the end of 2019. Who will we blame if 2020 rolls by with no new music? Jimmy Iovine? Paul Huge?

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Bob Ezrin signed on to the project in October 2000

I'm guessing the "Rough Mixes" CD's were compiled in November 2000 for him so he could hear whatever was close to finished at the time he joined

Maybe this is the guy who did the rough mixes? -

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3531

George Marino died in 2012:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Marino

Interesting, so they were recorded at Rumbo, but brought over to and leaked from Village. I mainly ask because if these were recorded at Village then we actually owe Ezrin something. 

6 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

And I don’t believe that was the 1999 version as it’s just too unfinished. 

Oklahoma was previewed in February 2000 for a Rolling Stone reporter - it didn't have vocals then

In the Rough Mixes CD dates November 2000 (Bob Ezrin joined the project the month prior)...still no vocals

The tracks Axl chose to play for Rolling Stone in February 2000 were Chinese Democracy, Catcher in the Rye, IRS, The Blues, TWAT, and the Oklahoma instrumental

So Axl had confidence in 6 songs at the start of 2000, one of which he hadn't even wrote lyrics to

From my understanding, Bob Ezrin was gone by February 2001 so you're basically blaming a circa seven year delay (2001-2008) on a guy who had long since departed! And a delay that is still counting pertaining to Chinese's sequels (probably up to around seventeen years now). 

I know you love Rose and wish to absolve him of all blame, but...!

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

Interesting, so they were recorded at Rumbo, but brought over to and leaked from Village. I mainly ask because if these were recorded at Village then we actually owe Ezrin something. 

I think the Rough Mixes CD's were a "here's what we have so far pre-Village" compilation from November 2000 and then you can see after that with the rest of the discs that Axl just farted around with overdubs for the next year, outside of some new Buckethead songs and re-recording KOHD the month after 9/11

Remember the timeline here 

February 2000 - Doug Goldstein says album is "99 percent musically done and 80 percent vocals done" and will be done in February or March for a Summer 2000 release

April 2000 - Jimmy Iovine listens to the Sean Beavan album, tells Axl he needs better production

April 2000 - Roy Thomas Baker hired

October 2000 - Bob Ezrin hired, band is moved to The Village recording studio

November 2000 - Rough Mixes compiled

February 2001 - Tom Zutaut hired

March 2001 - Beta tells the press that the label has "48 songs" and is choosing what ones will be on the album

March 2001 - Bob Ezrin listens to all the material, tells Axl he has 2 good songs and leaves the project

November 2001 - Tom Zutaut fired

February 2002 - Roy Thomas Baker fired

September 2002 - Doug Goldstein fired

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

From my understanding, Bob Ezrin was gone by February 2001 so you're basically blaming a circa seven year delay (2001-2008) on a guy who had long since departed! And a delay that is still counting pertaining to Chinese's sequels (probably up to around seventeen years now). 

I know you love Rose and wish to absolve him of all blame, but...!

I would think the 02 tour fiasco and Bucket leaving wasn’t the best environment for a release either.....Then you had Merck and a dwindling record business 

It's very likely any tracks on the Rough Mixes CD's dated March 2000 were directly from the Sean Beavan album that Jimmy Iovine heard and led to the hiring of Roy Thomas Baker

Any tracks dated from late 2000 and after were produced by Roy Thomas Baker

Edited by TheSeeker

34 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Axl did not know what he wanted..from his music, his band, or his career. Blaming Bob doesn't change that fundamental fact. The leaks we've heard so far reflect this absence of a clear cohesive vision/direction. 

Axl and Slash began talking in 2015. They started touring in early 2016. We're nearing the end of 2019. Who will we blame if 2020 rolls by with no new music? Jimmy Iovine? Paul Huge?

Exactly. A solo option was the best.

Of the songs we've heard on the Rough Mixes, the ones that eventually made it on CD (with the exception of 3DP/Better - and Shacklers and Sorry, I assume, which were at early stages), regardless of whether one likes them or not, sound finished. And others like Atlas and Perhaps sound near finished.

Axl believed that he had at least a finished album, too, and believed in it as it was, since he told Ezrin that he was ready to mix. But, I guess, having someone like Ezrin telling him that it wasn't good fed his insecurity about how the album would be received.

• Like 2