The big "Fuck Bob Ezrin" thread

As per a Slash interview from mid-96, they had 80 songs. Probably just tapes and tapes of jams with no vocals.

The most endlessly fascinating and mysterious eras of the band seem to be:

1994- August 1997Breakup of GnR )

September 1997 - 2001 ( 2000 intentions era )

6 minutes ago, SlashisGOD said:

Maybe he also wanted to talk to both about rejoining for all we know.

He had also asked Izzy to play in RIR 2001.

Merck said Axl was open for a reunion if Slash apologised for what he thought Slash did wrong. Marc Canter has said the same thing btw (about apologising).

31 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

One of the riffs of the '95 sessions with Zakk Wylde ended up as Rose Petalled Garden on BLS 1999 debut album. I'd kill to hear those tapes, Zakk is my favourite player apart from Slash. And Zakks 1994 album with his band Pride & Glory is really, really similar to 5 o clock.

Badass

43 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Axl wanted Izzy to perform at Rock in Rio 2001 and he declined

Wow, never knew that. Let's hope Izzy makes some guest appearances here soon.

42 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He had also asked Izzy to play in RIR 2001.

Merck said Axl was open for a reunion if Slash apologised for what he thought Slash did wrong. Marc Canter has said the same thing btw (about apologising).

I can only imagine what the first convo between Axl and Slash in 2015 must have been like. 

5 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Wonder if slash knew about that at the time.

Slash knew, and there was an odd appearance on I *think* Conan O'brien where Slash said something to the effect of "I just wanted to clear the air once and for all, I think after the breakup there was a lot of negative stuff I said that was just not even true, because I was mad from the breakup, and also because I had heard a lot of bad information from managers and things, so I just wanted to clear that up" which SOME speculated as his way of trying to issue an apology, but then of course, more bullshit went down even after that.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

Agreed. But I think 2000 intentions released as a solo record may have under-performed under Axl's name in '99/2000 regardless of how solid the material was. Imho, the window for an Axl solo record probably passed in the mid-90's. Not that it would have been an easy road even in 1994-96 since the press loathed him by then. Had the album been great though, much would have been forgiven no doubt.

Axl had been a hermit for years by the late 90's which makes prognosticating the success of a solo album murky. As a teen in high school around that time, I didn't know who Axl was and neither did my friends - but the Guns N' Roses name was known (albeit none of us listened to or cared about them).  Acts like Manson, NIN, Korn (ugh), and Limp Bizkit (shudder) were huge with teens of the late 90's. It's possible that the Beavan produced material could have been relevant to the fans of those bands. But who knows? I loved Oh My God and still think it's the strongest rocker Axl ever put out with the Nu band but that single was a massive failure. It probably didn't help that it was released towards the tail end of the industrial rock fad. The guy was just late to the party each and every time. Even Illusions had the same problem - probably released a year too late which no doubt affected sales. A 1990 UYI would have likely had a bigger pop culture impact.

I suspect he already knew a solo record in '99 wouldn't fly and figured (as Niven once stated) that he could score a massive advance and help his commercial prospects by simply releasing his solo stuff via the GnR brand and leveraging the global fanbase. That, and in his mind, he was GnR so it was all easily justifiable. Either way, it's a missed opportunity because, as you mentioned, had he just put out a solo record, it would have been much better received than CD. Especially in the late 90's when all of the negative PR surrounding him had turned into fascination and mystique in the media. 

Excellent analysis. I agree illusions was released 12 months to late. They were lucky they still had that demand in 91 for them to be well released. We can attribute that to YCBM video.

36 minutes ago, Amish said:

Slash knew, and there was an odd appearance on I *think* Conan O'brien where Slash said something to the effect of "I just wanted to clear the air once and for all, I think after the breakup there was a lot of negative stuff I said that was just not even true, because I was mad from the breakup, and also because I had heard a lot of bad information from managers and things, so I just wanted to clear that up" which SOME speculated as his way of trying to issue an apology, but then of course, more bullshit went down even after that.  

It was on Letterman, but I seem to recall another interview where he went a little more in-depth as far as "clearing the air" goes, but maybe not.  Here is the interview, the part I'm referring to starts at about 4:40

5 hours ago, Axl Rose aka God said:

I feel like I understand the point of rejecting some of the music. While I find it all fantastic, there is some Mickey Mouse voice on a lot of it, so I feel like it wouldn't have been well received as the comeback album in 2000. But, saying it's all bad is absolutely bananas. Chinese Democracy, The Blues, Madagascar, Prostitute, Atlas, Hardschool, Catcher, TWAT, I.R.S. were all ready in 2001. 

Maybe when Bob listened to the tapes and said “Axl, Nothing’s very good” he wasn’t dissing the album, he just really liked that song.

• Haha 4

I kind of agree with Ezrin. Not so much on the leaks that I’ve heard from that time period being over produced but the songs not being that great. They weren’t. The biggest shocking revelation imho is that all of the material that had vocals on it at that time, he said “three songs” and I’d say five songs. 

4 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Fuck you Bob.

The Wall kinda sucked too.

Oooooo.... Now you're hurting me personally.... 

The Wall is my single favorite album of all time. That's why I'm so conflicted about this whole deal. Dude produced my favorite album ever, but then ended up being part of the reason why the last 20 years of GNR was so productive. 

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oooooo.... Now you're hurting me personally.... 

The Wall is my single favorite album of all time. That's why I'm so conflicted about this whole deal. Dude produced my favorite album ever, but then ended up being part of the reason why the last 20 years of GNR was so productive. 

Five songs (I'll be generous and count the run of Another Brick Pt1/Happiest Days/Pt2 as separate tracks).

Most of it's just "Shut up, mum, no one undrstands me!"

:P

Young Lust tho... hot reservoir, that's my jelly.

• Sad 1

Ultimitely its on Axl. Ezrin gave an opinion. We love these songs and era because a lot of us grew up with it. Ive been on these boards since I was a teenager. Many of you were adults while all this was going down and here we are 20 years later. It becomes a weird part of you. 

As an outsider, I dont know if 2000 Intentions would have knocked my socks off. Of course I like it a lot,  but thats taking into account my last 10+ years of obsessing over Chinese like a lunatic. Ezrin was probably shown all those decent songs, then something weird like Silkworms and whatever and that sticks with you.

The best stuff from the lockers imo, are the instrumental songs that developed once Bucket joined the band. Zodiac, Prom Violence, Oklahoma, Quicksong, and Soul Monster are all absolutely killer hard rock songs the album and era needed. Its a shame they rotted away unreleased

• Like 1

I tried looking on billboard charts but you have to be a member to get really In depth. But it would be fun to get an estimated release date based on the dates we have listed on these leaked cds and compare it to the other rock releases that came out that same month.

In an alternate universe Ezrin signs off on the material it gets mixed, mastered, and released, and the competition it's up against is 3 Doors Down and Tantric.

Its just crazy to think of what could have been. He had songs and ideas. A great follow up album to 2000 Intentions would have been. 

1. Zodiac

2. Prom Violence

3. Better

4. State of Grace

5. Shackler's Revenge

6. Oklahoma

7. If The World

8. Hard School

9. Soul Monster

10. Quicksong

11. Sorry

12. Devious Bastard

13. This I Love

14. The General

We'd trade in Bucket's TWAT solo but this would have been a full follow up with tons of hard rock songs and Bucket in full force at that point. I'm even leaving off songs like PRL, IRS, etc. There could have easily been a decent third album after listening to these ideas on the discs

24 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Five songs (I'll be generous and count the run of Another Brick Pt1/Happiest Days/Pt2 as separate tracks).

Most of it's just "Shut up, mum, no one undrstands me!"

:P

Young Lust tho... hot reservoir, that's my jelly.

We can't be friends anymore. 

• Sad 1

I've only heard rough mix disc 1 but...

In its stripped back form sounds more vulnerable....and more genuine in a way

then axl is told it isnt good

he loads it up with bells, whistles, movie soundtrack dudes, flutist and virtuoso guitarists.

Result for me is a couple of stunning tracks (TWAT, PROSTITUTE) and some other awesome moments but the sum total of all the added musicians and diversity of the music is insecurity? 

People would have loved the 1999 album... From Ezrins re-telling of his meeting with Axl (Axl was anxious, I had a dinner party to go to) he sounds a bit aloof - telling axl what a gnr album should sound like - joke book stuff. Label politics indeed..

• Like 1

Ezrin wasn’t wrong from a commercial appeal prospective. That doesn’t have to diminish Axl’s work as a creative expression. But the label was fronting all the money and giving a ton of breathing room... are they not supposed to give any feedback? Or get some third party appraisal of their investment?

In a world and business full of hangers-on, yes-men and obsequious hired hands, the biggest favour you can do someone is give them the unvarnished truth as you see it. Props to him. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1