(THREAD UPDATE: HE LIED) GNR Manager Fernando Confirms New Album Within 6 Months!!

11 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

hardly an announcement 

its like  a little kid that hurls some beguiling statement in class and runs away down the hall before anyone can question further

That's why I used quotation marks around the word announcement. But my point was, that the discussion here doesn't seem to have anything to do with the title of the thread anymore.  :shrugs:

at sm1 point this sounded like a funny title for the CD2... how things have turned :D

did anyone ask where is Buckethead so far? :D

btw, funny tidbit in the video description. He yelled at the wrong guy :D

Edited by username05

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

''Patience''? Reached #4 in US and #10 in UK. He also co-wrote ''Don't Cry'' (#10/#8) and ''You Could Be Mine'' (#3 in UK). Considering Izzy wrote the chords for ''Sweet Child'' I'd say Rose did need Izzy for that song also although that is a rather weird way to put it as that song was triggered by Slash, not Rose; it would be more appropriate to say ''the band needed Izzy'' as that song was truly a band effort.

I'm aware of what songs Izzy wrote and co-wrote. The notion that the band needs Izzy to write "hits" or whatever is preposterous. 

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

very compelling argument - rock sucks these days so lets call it a day

CD era songs sub par to the standard of classic gnr along with slashs solo work

sweet child and NR wow too bad they've been milked to no tomorrow

read what slash says about the subject rather than being a mac daddy - the spark that they lack is the elephant in the room - maybe they can prove everyone wrong with a mac daddy big mac hit 

u can't deny that they haven't been able to write as a team without the iz

if axl is so superior at songwriting why didn't he go solo and not rely on the gnr name - could've gone solo if hes so awesome alone

Aunt sally didn't take long to show up. Shame, it was going so well.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, MooseMan said:

I'm aware of what songs Izzy wrote and co-wrote. The notion that the band needs Izzy to write "hits" or whatever is preposterous. 

Name one hit any of them have written without Izzy.

(Not that I care about hits, but for sake of argument).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MooseMan said:

Aunt sally didn't take long to show up. Shame, it was going so well.

thanks newbie - please get me a big mac when u can and i'll be right on board with u 

20 minutes ago, G O A T said:

What's the status on this? Has it been confirmed that it's Fernando's account or is it just speculation?

Nothing has changed. He has been asked 3 times and avoided answering each time. I think that's conformation it's him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MooseMan said:

It's not like Axl needed Izzy for Sweet Child or November Rain. So this idea that they can't do shit without him, as you propose, is daft. I'm not diminishing his importance to the band, but he's not and never was the main songwriter.

Izzy’s chord progression in SCOM is huge! 

He’s not overrated on this forum, he’s properly recognized.

That doesn’t mean Axl, Slash and Duff couldn’t write compelling songs together... also doesn’t mean they wouldn’t almost always be demonstrably better with Izzy. AFD with Slash doing rhythm and lead would be considerably, markedly worse, and I say that as a Slash worshipper. 

The album tracks with Izzy aged the best and they’d be the best kind of music for the band to pursue considering their age. I’d still want them to take a crack at a new album without him if they have to, but Izzy is always down to write songs —it’d be pride and greed likely as the cause for excluding him.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Name one hit any of them have written without Izzy.

(Not that I care about hits, but for sake of argument).

Estranged, November rain, Dead horse, Coma, Back off bitch, Civil war, Locomotive, So fine...
The notion that they need Izzy to make a good album is ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Estranged, November rain, Dead horse, Coma, Back off bitch, Civil war, Locomotive, So fine...
The notion that they need Izzy to make a good album is ridiculous.

I have never seen a good album since 1991, that is for certain. It is no coincidence that the band didn't release another original thing after Stradlin departed. Izzy left in 1991; two years of touring stadia with Gilby; a crap covers LP; an even crapper Stones cover; finished. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have never seen a good album since 1991, that is for certain. It is no coincidence that the band didn't release another original thing after Stradlin departed. Izzy left in 1991; two years of touring stadia with Gilby; a crap covers LP; an even crapper Stones cover; finished. 

And? But you have heard those good songs that Izzy had no hand in writing in. The lack of other albums has nothing to do with Izzy not being there.

Just now, PatrickS77 said:

And? But you have heard those good songs that Izzy had no hand in writing in. The lack of other albums has nothing to do with Izzy not being there.

As evidence that Guns can still write good songs again without Izzy: 1991 songs!

I actually broadly agree that Slash and Rose might be able to do something good but it'll lack what Izzy brought to the table which was something more concise and rock n' roll. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

As evidence that Guns can still write good songs again without Izzy: 1991 songs!

Yes. And all of them have released at least some worthwhile songs separately since. Now imagine if the 3 of them work together again. Izzy hasn't exactly set the world on fire since either. But Slash has. :P;)

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I actually broadly agree that Slash and Rose might be able to do something good but it'll lack what Izzy brought to the table which was something more concise and rock n' roll. 

I think there’s something to be said for Izzy just having his guitar and being in the room, you know. Just jamming chords and being the creative kindling. He’s just got that foundational musicality. 

Slash is kind of pummeling as a writer, riff centric... 

Axl as a writer seems kind of tentative... without co-writers. Perfectionism that lends itself to opus writing.

And Duff... I love Duff.

Edited by Ant

18 hours ago, MooseMan said:

Not many hits since his departure, true, but rock is hardly popular these days on the charts either. Plus, GN'R's biggest hits aren't "Izzy songs", he wasn't the hit writer, the big ones are Axl's, so one has nothing to do with other. It's not like Axl needed Izzy for Sweet Child or November Rain. So this idea that they can't do shit without him, as you propose, is daft. I'm not diminishing his importance to the band, but he's not and never was the main songwriter.

Axl has written some fucking brilliant songs without Izzy in recent years. He's a fucking fine songwriter as songs like Catcher, Twat, Better, Perhaps, etc, show. Slash has also written some great songs musically since the old days. Anastasia is fucking awesome (musically). They will be fine with or without Izzy, (if they can get a fucking record out).

Its not like Axl wrotte those songs by himself. Did you forget the Shadow Company and a gazillion of hired guns? I honestly doubt Axl could writte any of these songs by himself. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1