(THREAD UPDATE: HE LIED) GNR Manager Fernando Confirms New Album Within 6 Months!!

If I were looking at it from a logical standpoint (which this band apparently never does) Axl has plenty of unreleased material that it would be easy to have Slash and Duff play on and then call it a day. Slash also has plenty of ideas, as he said in interviews that he wrote material for his solo work and stuff he felt would fit in GNR. He was releasing an album every 2 years, so clearly has some ideas, and Duff has also been releasing material. The band has slowed down on touring a bit, and may have been writing without us knowing. I think it would be safe to expect an album in the next couple years (although next March would be optimal).

13 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

Yeah - I think he's open to singing on it and Slash is open to playing on it and Duff is open to anything. 

And Slash laying down guitar work on already recorded Chinese-era stuff would be awesome, I've just always been under the impression that he does not care for that style of music - wondering how that's gonna play out.

A couple reworked CD era songs would be ok as long as they come up with some new stuff too. Would love to see them work on material and ideas that may have collaborated on in the past.  I would actually love to see an instrumental in vain of the newest Blues Jam they have been playing. They are really onto something there and I even like what Fortus brought to the table. He stayed in his lane, wasn't to loud and gave a nice tasteful backdrop for Slash to paint over.. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

They've had plenty of time to chip away at writing and recording, so I'm not too concerned.

That is for damn sure.. All the time they spend on the road and time in between shows, I hope they spent some time jamming together.. I know Slash plays constantly and you can record freakin demos on your phone now.. 

13 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

That is for damn sure.. All the time they spend on the road and time in between shows, I hope they spent some time jamming together.. I know Slash plays constantly and you can record freakin demos on your phone now.. 

Agreed. They have no excuses to not at least have demos. Fully mastered songs are a different story but demos are fairly easy to get done. 

I really hope Duff and Slash do some serious rework on Axl's stuff. I can see good potential for Hard School, but right now it's just random and sounding suuuper dated.

I also hope they mix it with new material from Slash and Duff.

I would love to have as final product an album more like Appetite and far away from the CD over produced dramatic megalomania.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 4:52 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I mean Beta removing Susan because Susan was seen being chums with Stephanie Seymour!! How old is Beta? It is toddler school playground politics: ''your friends with her so I'll not be your friend anymore na na na-na-na''.

Did she really unfollow Susan over this? And what exactly did Beta say in the comments? I see people mentioning she got into it with some fan in the comments of the post, but no one had a screenshot.

Edited by GnR Chris

50 minutes ago, ChildOfTheMoon said:

I really hope Duff and Slash do some serious rework on Axl's stuff. I can see good potential for Hard School, but right now it's just random and sounding suuuper dated.

I also hope they mix it with new material from Slash and Duff.

I would love to have as final product an album more like Appetite and far away from the CD over produced dramatic megalomania.

Agree on all accounts except Hardschool. Haven't heard or care to hear it so I can't comment on that. 

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

What makes you think that?  

About the alcohol addiction or that Axl still drinks? I'm not sure about the addiction part but as far as I'm aware he never had that bad of an addiction compared to Duff or Slash, but Axl still drinks, he and Angus went out to a restaurant near the end of the ROB tour and Axl had like a glass of wine or something, and Axl still goes to nightclubs and probably gets a few drinks there. That's all the info I got.

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Did she really unfollow Susan over this? And what exactly did Beta say in the comments? I see people mentioning she got into it with some fan in the comments of the post, but no one had a screenshot.

It has been posted here, maybe the social media thread?

Axl admitted to using heroin and not getting addicted, which speaks more to his bipolar disorder than anything

I think it's more likely that he took heroin, had a manic episode because of the heroin, got hospitalized for the manic episode, and that's the only reason why he kicked it so quick

Axl spins things in ways that make himself feel better about reality - he admitted to being diagnosed bipolar with a question test (that's standard - there's no blood test for bipolar disorder) and then years later tried to backtrack on it

As per Marc Canter, Axl stopped using heroin in early 1986.

Then there was the known "Coma" incident where he OD'd on pills in 1987.

Other than that, he's had his pints regularly, and probably a line of coke or other substances (except heroin) on occasion - but nothing has been heard about him ever being addicted on anything.

• Thanks 2

"It's not Guns. It's not anything that it started off to be.....I could give a shit who's playing. It has nothing to do with me" 

On reunion: "To go and play...I guess it would be for money alone. And I never started playing music for money, so why would I start now? Screw that."

- Duff McKagan, June 2002 Guitar One magazine

What I do regret is we let down a huge fan base that was there waiting for a next record, and Axl made us all--we all balled at one point or another. We couldn't deal with him. There wasn't any sort of rationality. It's just too bad. God, I don't want to come off bad mouthing him because the guy has a lot of great attributes. But how it worked before was the band would write all the music and rehearse it all, and kind of give it to Axl and he'd write lyrics to it. Or Izzy or I would already have lyrics, and he would just come in at the end. Later he wanted to be the ringleader and it didn't go anywhere. And I guess it still hasn't. Whatever, I have no resentment [Thrasher Magazine, January 2005].

"Axl Rose is a very, very fickle guy, and he changes his mind all the time" [POP QUIZ: DUFF MCKAGAN OF VELVET REVOLVER, April 2005].

The perception in popular culture is that the singer and the lead guitar player are generally the artistic brain trust of any band. In our case, Izzy was probably the most significant force—without his initial vision and his songwriting cues, there would have been no Guns N’ Roses. [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 194]

(When was that you had contact with AXL last time?) 

A year ago. That means we haven't talked since he was putting live album together. Our managers talk each other or FedEX it back and force. It was not like Slash. I told Izzy to check out mixing. "You are in that album also. Come check it out." He said, "I might as well check it." 

(He was the first member who left the band.) 

Yeah, he was willing to [come back] if the situation had fixed. To tell the truth, he visited AXL's house about two weeks ago. 

(Really? Are you kidding me?) 

Yes, he did visit there. But somebody told him that AXL is not there answering over the inter phone at the gate. First he said "Wait a minute" and he came back and said "He is gone." Izzy said "OK" and went back. There is always emotional thing with GN'R. At least the old GN'R. 

I want to say something against in that MTV interview. He said the he likes the Seattle sound, on the other hand, Slash and me hated the music comes out new. It's stupid, but let me do the self defense. I'm the one who brought ICE-T or Killing Joke etc. in the band and listened to other kind of music. I'm not a country boy from Indiana. I'm from Seattle! 

(What do you think about AXL's shitty story or what he's saying? It is different, that's obvious.) 

I'm planning to fix the story that I got fired. The reason I didn't say anything is that is OK with me knowing only myself about how it happened. I don't care what the rumor is, fired or I quit, cause I know what I have done. I heard something that AXL was fucked up by Slash. More I heard, more stimulated to save friendship. Don't talk badly about me or Slash! Stop it! I worked so hard and did as much as I could do to keep running the band and recognize the greatest band in 
this century. That's OK to say things about me, but I live my life frankly and have responsibility. If I do wrong, that hurts myself. I don't care what other people say. I did care about was lying this time. And that was very big one. I don't want to ruin the history what I was the part of the creation for rock n' roll. I couldn't stand that I was insulted by my friend when I watched that interview. He is just looking for excuse to make his band bigger. That's fine, but Do not make me involved in. Slash is a killer rock n' roll guitar player and great guy. AXL was not able to live in Malibu without us playing on the stage. Most important thing to him now is to make all the lies put it together and not to be contradicted. That's no way to make Slash to be involved. Finally that made me stand up for it.

(What was the best thing of GN'R?)

I would say relationship of the unit. 

http://www.a-4-d.com/t1663-1999-12-dd-interview-with-duff

So when I finally quit, I was like, "I have no choice. I'm going into deep depression here. I'm not having any kind of a good time, and all my bandmates are gone. I have nothing to hold onto." People were saying, "No, You can't quit." But I was like, "Well, I gotta go." And they said, "No, you can't." So I said, "Axl wants to make a Guns N' Roses record, and he wants to do it with me. But he doesn't [care] about Matt, Steve, Izzy, or Duff. And I can't do it that way. I don't wanna work with these people who are suddenly becoming involved in the band." That was about five years ago - SLASH - [Guitar One Magazine, April 2000].

I don't care what Axl might say - this band was formed on the camaraderie between a little gang, against all odds [GUNS N' ROSES -"We Ain't Dead Yet" , Kerrang, September 1996].

I never really have to go, "Izzy, play this part this way." He just plays his thing his own way, and we never really talk about it much. Last night, we went in and took two songs from scratch, just basic chord changes, and worked them into full songs. That's one of the things about me and Izzy working together, he knows where I'm at, and I know where he's at. And that's the way it's always been. I make up something that accompanies his part, and at the same time accents it, and he does the same with my parts. We have that kind of chemistry. We've always been good friends, so for us to get in a room and play is a very easy thing to do [Guitar One Magazine, 2002]

Dave [Kushner] and Izzy are the only two guitar players I really mesh with [Velvet Revolver, Total Guitar #121 April 2004]

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

What I do regret is we let down a huge fan base that was there waiting for a next record, and Axl made us all--we all balled at one point or another. We couldn't deal with him. There wasn't any sort of rationality. It's just too bad. God, I don't want to come off bad mouthing him because the guy has a lot of great attributes. But how it worked before was the band would write all the music and rehearse it all, and kind of give it to Axl and he'd write lyrics to it. Or Izzy or I would already have lyrics, and he would just come in at the end. Later he wanted to be the ringleader and it didn't go anywhere. And I guess it still hasn't. Whatever, I have no resentment [Thrasher Magazine, January 2005].

I've always found interesting that all of them - Axl included - have stated that the way Appetite was written was the best one and that with the Illusions things changed, but have had different perspectives and recollections on what the process was like. 

For example, compare the Duff quote above with the following quotes by Axl: 

Axl: One reason things have been so hard, in a way, is this. The first album was basically written with Axl comin’ up with maybe one line, and maybe a melody for that line, or how I’m gonna say it or yell it or whatever. And the band would build a song around it. This time round...Izzy’s brought in eight songs at least, OK? Slash has brought in an album, I’ve brought in an album. And Duff’s brought in one song - Duff said it all in one song- it’s called ‘Why do you look at me when you hate me?’ and it’s just bad-assed. None of this ever happened before. I mean, before the first album, I think Izzy had written one song in his entire life, ya know? But they’re coming now... And Izzy has this, like, very wry sense of humour, man. He’s got this song about...(half-singing the lyrics) : « She lost her mind today, got splattered out on the highway, I say that’s OK... » (laughs) ! It’s called ‘Dust and bones’, I think, and it’s great. The rhythm reminds me of something like ‘Cherokee people’ by Paul Revere and the Raiders, only really weird and rocked out. It’s a weird song. But then it is by Izzy, what can I tell you?  [Kerrang, April 1990]

Axl:  "[...] Chinese was done in piecemeal with one person here and one there at different times. Appetite for Destruction was the only thing written with lyrics and melody fitting the guitar parts at the same time. After that, I got a barrage of guitar songs that I was supposed to put words to, and I don't know if that was the best thing for Guns. I do want to lean more toward lyrics and melody." [USA Today, October 2012]

(If anything, at least Axl has been consistent in his own perspective]

Slash's recollections are somewhere in the middle, saying that it could happen both ways.

-----------

As for the other quotes, I think they're very interesting as a snapshot of feelings and mindsets when all that was said, but I don't think they necessarily mean something about the current situation. Same with what Axl had said in public over the years. People change, minds change, feelings change... 

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

After that, I got a barrage of guitar songs that I was supposed to put words to,

Key phrase here is "that I was supposed to put words to"

This kind of affirms that he never wrote lyrics for the rest of the Chinese Democracy instrumentals (besides Soul Monster, maybe Berlin, and maybe The General depending on whatever demo that was)

If Axl can listen to Slash's demos and say "I only like a few of these" in 1994, I guarantee he trashed whatever Buckethead demos were still laying around after Buckethead quit in 2004

It's fascinating that we're putting all these pieces together finally as to what really happened

5 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Key phrase here is "that I was supposed to put words to"

This kind of affirms that he never wrote lyrics for the rest of the Chinese Democracy instrumentals (besides Soul Monster, maybe Berlin, and maybe The General depending on whatever demo that was)

If Axl can listen to Slash's demos and say "I only like a few of these" in 1994, I guarantee he trashed whatever Buckethead demos were still laying around after Buckethead quit in 2004

It's fascinating that we're putting all these pieces together finally as to what really happened

I wouldn't necessarily make the connection with the CD era instrumentals. Although I agree that probably some of the all-Buckethead tunes didnt' work for him eventually, I believe he put vocals on more than three songs.

I also think that by "the barrage of guitar songs that I was supposed to put words to" he was mainly referring to Illusion songs like Coma and Locomotive, which he put lyrics to, but says didn't enjoy the process much - and it is known that it took him months to finish the lyrics for Coma.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

About the O/T discussion:

What is known of Axl is that he OD'd once on pills in 1987. Never went to rehab.

I have a bootleg where he says he OD'd on pills and a bottle of Jim Beam and also he said that he went to sener sanai rehab.  

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I have a bootleg where he says he OD'd on pills and a bottle of Jim Beam and also he said that he went to sener sanai rehab.  

He mentioned it at the Ritz 1987 show, too:

Axl: Now, if you have known of us, then you know that we recently, a couple of months ago, lost a friend of ours. A little over a month ago, I OD’ed, and I ended up in a hospital called Cedars-Sinai. I was in a coma for about two days. When I got out of the hospital, the first person I saw was a guy named Todd Crew. Todd used to be in a band called Jetboy, and one of the reasons he got kicked out – Jetboy sucks. One of the reasons he got kicked out, was for hanging out with us. I think we were more friends than the people he knew all of his fucking life. When I got out of the hospital, the first person I saw was Todd, and I really didn’t wanna see anybody I knew, because I didn’t know if I had any friends left. Todd came up to me, and gave me a hug and said, “You can’t do this to the family, man.” Two weeks later, Todd OD’ed here in New York. We tried doing this song without dedicating it to Todd, and every time we feel too fuckin’ guilty and we end up doing it anyway. And a friend told me that we won’t get over it till it happens again. So until then, this is for Todd. And this is “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door.” [The Ritz, NY, USA, October 23, 1987]

Isn't Cedars-Sinai a hospital?

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

"he said that he went to sener sanai rehab. "

Makes me wonder if that was used as inspiration for having doctors or therapists in some of the illusions era videos.

40 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He mentioned it at the Ritz 1987 show, too:

Axl: Now, if you have known of us, then you know that we recently, a couple of months ago, lost a friend of ours. A little over a month ago, I OD’ed, and I ended up in a hospital called Cedars-Sinai. I was in a coma for about two days. When I got out of the hospital, the first person I saw was a guy named Todd Crew. Todd used to be in a band called Jetboy, and one of the reasons he got kicked out – Jetboy sucks. One of the reasons he got kicked out, was for hanging out with us. I think we were more friends than the people he knew all of his fucking life. When I got out of the hospital, the first person I saw was Todd, and I really didn’t wanna see anybody I knew, because I didn’t know if I had any friends left. Todd came up to me, and gave me a hug and said, “You can’t do this to the family, man.” Two weeks later, Todd OD’ed here in New York. We tried doing this song without dedicating it to Todd, and every time we feel too fuckin’ guilty and we end up doing it anyway. And a friend told me that we won’t get over it till it happens again. So until then, this is for Todd. And this is “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door.” [The Ritz, NY, USA, October 23, 1987]

Isn't Cedars-Sinai a hospital?

I thought it was, it was where Nikki Sixx got delivered to when he overdosed in 87.