Ashba: "I just wanted to hang myself in my hotel room" after reading the GNR message boards"

Towelie

I really don't know how to take that. Pinch of salt stuff I'd say, I doubt he seriously ever contemplated killing himself because of the criticism he faced online. Sure, it must be fucking draining reading about people slating your every performance among other things, but I just can't see him ever considering that. He's got previous for exaggerating on things.

I could very well be wrong and if that is the case, I'm sorry that he got to that point in his life where he considered that option. Not a big fan of his music or his tenure in Guns, but would never wish that on anyone.

1 hour ago, Creed said:

After all the years of Axls lack of interest in talking with the fans some people started to disgrace his employees.

Um...  No.

How much "disgrace" do fans give Richard, Robin, Buckethead, Tommy, Brain, etc?  

Not much.

Why do you think that is?

• Like 4

Being honest, I think that many had gotten criticism that had joined Guns during the breakup years and some more than others for whatever various reasons.

I put into mind the many times over Slash and Duff have openly stated how they feel about Frank or Fortus and yet fans still have something to say. Some of this goes with the territory as they are artists and we are fans but then again I do feel some Is overboard. 

I am not a member of any other fan forum for any bands but Guns and Ac/DC and I rarely am on that website but I have seen other forums and no other fans are like Guns fans. 

We are dedicated and sure we get frustrated but the shaming does happen. Whole threads are made about Axls weight at times. As much as we say they signed up for this when they became famous we are all still responsible as humans and as adults.

I can imagine it was not easy for him sure, but some fans even fat shame Axl so I do not think it's just because he was not Slash but most of it yes.

I am sure someone will not like my post and it is fine I been around here for years. 

I look around the world we live in today where some kid was bullied or called names and shoots up schools. I think people wrongfully assume once someone becomes an adult it's ok to bully them and call them names as if it's fine. Sure he was warned to never come to message boards and did but why must he even have to be? 

So my take yes some of it comes with the job and some was just overboard on some with things said. 

There is a difference in critiquing or expressing an opinion and say fat shaming or forms of bullying. 

He was not Slash he knew that but he was doing the job and doing something he loved. I can respect many who came and went in GnR and of course I preferred Slash to be there but it was never any of their faults he was not. As a fan I chose to find ways to enjoy the different things each one brought during their time with Guns and wait for the reunion which we have in most ways now.

cancel culture is ruthless. it's the sign of the times. He isn't the first considering suicide because of internet hate speech, and he won't be the last.

I'm one of those people who openly made fun of ashba. Because I can. But now I feel guilt reading this. That said, if you can't handle online criticism, that will surely happen to every online persona, then it's best to stay out of the spotlight. If you take the spotlight, be prepared for backlash. Ashba is a grown up man, he should have considered this before he stepped on that stage. So part of the cause lays with himself.

This world is seriously, seriously fucked up. The right thing to do is to take internet hate speech with a grain of salt, and see the fun part in it. The advice I can give to victims of online hate speech is this. I would worry more for the sad insecure no-life losers that commit to online hate speech, than I would for myself. I'm one of those no-life losers too I guess. Food for thought.

Quite the orator. His grammar and diction is, like, demented.

'And i was like "whoa" and then it was like "huh" because everyone said that and suddenly its all like "oh, okay" because I wear hats. Got the gig and then geez. Haters... and I was just like smoking a cigarette.' :lol:

Guns N Roses created a toxic culture themselves. They never give interviews or talk with fans. When they do, it’s the same stuff over and over about how there is material there.... but they never release anything! Not even a live CD or DVD of their now 3+ year tour. While Slash is capable of doing that with his solo band.

It sucks that we are a toxic fanbase. But I don’t think it would be so bad if the band ever communicated honestly. 

To this day, nobody understands why nothing outside of touring ever happens.

Even the other night, Axl pretending to ask Richard what they should play next.. then proceeds to play the set in the exact usual order.

• Like 1

Ashba wasn't the best option for GNR, any 10-year old who reads the history of the band on a napkin can understand that.

Still, the guy wasn't a "bad" player. I like the ballad of death, it is a beautiful song, and his rendition of the TIL solo were nice.
I'm also glad he is doing well with Nikki Sixx, I think the first album is pretty good, and I wish the guy the best.

But he wasn't the lead guitar player for GNR, it just couldn't be.
Don't use a hat man, you're just WAITING for the comparison, and you don't have the skill to be compared with Slash.

And about the AshbaSwag and all that jazz, yeah, I was 18 years old when I went to see Guns in 2010, and I remember many, many girls from 15-18 that really liked the guy.
The guitar designs were pretty cool, I liked them. But come on man, how the fuck would you appeal to the classic Guns n Roses fan with that.

Oh well... on a positive note for the guy, yeah, there were a lot of negative comments on the boards, but I also remember really good feedback on the casual fans

Edited by viruzzz

19 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Guns N Roses created a toxic culture themselves. They never give interviews or talk with fans. When they do, it’s the same stuff over and over about how there is material there.... but they never release anything! Not even a live CD or DVD of their now 3+ year tour. While Slash is capable of doing that with his solo band.

It sucks that we are a toxic fanbase. But I don’t think it would be so bad if the band ever communicated honestly. 

To this day, nobody understands why nothing outside of touring ever happens.

This. I didn’t count but my feeling is that at minimum 75% of all posts within  the GNR main section of this board are negative, at least have a negative touch. Lots of complaining, trolling, insulting etc is going on. In my opinion, the main reason for this is the band’s massive lack of communication and lack of releasing any material. In other words: As long as there is nothing to talk in terms of GNR, fans get frustrated and tend to „hate“. 

The last time this board was mainly positive was when the reunion took place. Unfortunately, this vibe lasted only a year or so until it turned out that GNR became nothing but a pure nostalgia act. This is where we are today. 

To be honest, I often ask myself why I still come back to this forum every day. 

Edited by zigzagbigbag
  • Like 1