Rough Mixes CD #4 Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

1 minute ago, Gackt said:

Soul Monster- Has great potential to be an awesome song; I'd love to hear a version with Axl singing on top of it, it would also be killer played live.  It's missing a big Buckethead solo too, one that rivals TWAT.
Circus Maximus- It's like a chill Silkworms.  Really curious what direction the band could go with this one, it paints a really cool soundscape like video game music.  Pretty sure this is later known as Ides of March.
D Tune- Nice and heavy, a good track for Axl to get mean with.  All the instrumentals parts are super tight, the Robin solo is nice too.  Tempted to say this is the song that led to the mythical song Seven.
Curly Shuffle- The riffs are pretty good.  Sounds like it would be a pretty fun rocker given the right vocals and a good solo.
Nothing- Kind of weird in an unsettling way?  Would love to know what Axl was going to do with this one, it sounds like he's just repeated a specific section of the song.
As It Begins1f433.png
Thyme- Pretty interesting, I'll have to hear it alongside PRL on Disc #2 to get a context of what's happening with this one.

Oh seven where art thou

Just now, Arnuld said:

So is this it for songs with vocals. I’m assuming that the other quicksong just has the scratch vocals as well. 

I think its just trials... to see what "voice" best feels the song, to get a general feel of it. After that, they can start writing the lyrics, once they have some tangible ancor point. 

So now that we have "Nothing" (which is apparently the last song from the locker set with vocals) this is my final tracklist for "ChiDem 2" (im putting all the instrumentals on a separate album):

1.Hard School 2.Atlas Shrugged 3.Perhaps 4.State of Grace 5.Silkworms (2000) 6.The General (Evader's) 7.Going Down (2002) 8.Tommy Demo One 9.Quick Song (w/Vocals) 10.Eye On You 11.Nothing 12.KOHD (Acoustic)

EDIT: I swapped tracks 10 and 11 with another.

Edited by rocknroll41

Reminder that Marco Beltrami later did orchestral arrangements in July 2002 for both Thyme and Me & My Elvis (Leave Me Alone):

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/film-composer-talks-about-his-work-on-guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy/

When asked if he was ever in the studio with the members of GUNS N' ROSES or if the band came to him with the finished tracks, Beltrami said, "No, they had finished tracks. On one song I actually wrote a guitar part, but they pretty much had the band tracks down and then I added orchestral stuff on top of it. . . [I worked on] A song called 'Seven', which is the one that I did the most work on, I actually did some writing on. There was one called 'Thyme', one called 'The General', one called 'Leave Me Alone'."

Thyme was supposed to open the second album as an intro for "PRL", the title track of the second album

All of these instrumentals sound very...2000's (Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc.).  They are not timeless in my opinion.  I know a lot of you like these, and that's fine, but I think they're very copy catish.  Sounds like they were just copying the trends of the time: industrial meets rap-rock.  

I'll listen to just about anything with Axl's vocals on it, but this stuff isn't really my cup of tea.  It actually is making me appreciate ChiDem so much more, and I already was a big fan of that album.

• Like 2