liers

Which leak would make the best single for a new album?

Best single?  

399 members have voted

1. 1. Best single

• Hardschool
    • Atlas Shrugged
    • Oh My God
    • Silkworms
    • Going Down
    • State of Grace
    • Perhaps
    • Eye on You
    • Blood in The Water
    • Nothing

Which leak do you think would be the best lead single for a new GnR album, assuming that the album consisted of the 10 songs with lyrics that have leaked since CD came out?

They should probably come up with something completely new.

But i agree with the above - Hard School as the first single and Atlas as the second single.

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1

Any new single needs to have the energy and kind of hooks to make people think 'Ah hell, Guns N' Roses are back!' and get people interested again. The success if the NITL tour goes to show how much people value that kind of material (plus the lineup change, of course).

From that angle, Hardschool is probably the best bet for now.

After all it's been a LONG time since a fresh single was released. Something that harks back to the old school chorus-heavy tunes of old will probably be the safest bet, rather than trying something more ambitious/different like Atlas/State of Grace straight out of the gate.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, seely said:

Any new single needs to have the energy and kind of hooks to make people think 'Ah hell, Guns N' Roses are back!' and get people interested again. The success if the NITL tour goes to show how much people value that kind of material (plus the lineup change, of course).

From that angle, Hardschool is probably the best bet for now.

After all it's been a LONG time since a fresh single was released. Something that harks back to the old school chorus-heavy tunes of old will probably be the safest bet, rather than trying something more ambitious/different like Atlas/State of Grace straight out of the gate.

Exactly this ^

To get any kind of air play it would obviously need to be radio friendly too. Hardschool covers all angles. 

Hard School is the only one I'd remotely touch unless a couple of the others are reworked. Lyrically, "Perhaps" works. It's almost apropos, but needs some work. 

Some of the songs are bit dated and pretentious. 

Hard School sounds the most like classic GNR. Add Slash and some current Axl vocals and you have a radio ready GNR song

Edited by Arnuld

In my opinion songs on Chinese didn't have that "anthemic" chorus of old GNR, I've read on here people saying "did Axl forget how to write a good chorus". With Hardschool it has the chorus that gets stuck in your head like the songs on Appetite & the Illusions, which would make that song the perfect single for a "comeback".

• Like 1

Hardschool is the obvious choice. I could imagine Perhaps getting a fair amount of airplay too though. Both of them have a 'radio chorus' that was sorely lacking on CD.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, djones1225 said:

In my opinion songs on Chinese didn't have that "anthemic" chorus of old GNR, I've read on here people saying "did Axl forget how to write a good chorus". With Hardschool it has the chorus that gets stuck in your head like the songs on Appetite & the Illusions, which would make that song the perfect single for a "comeback".

yeah, that was me. and i correct myself: Axl probably never had this ability. It was Izzy who wrote the choruses. However the choruses on Contraband are very 'oldGnR' as well.

Edited by Creed

29 minutes ago, Creed said:

However the choruses on Contraband are very 'oldGnR' as well.

That's probably the writing of Scott Weiland & Duff.

• Like 1

You need to get on the meme culture. Eye on you is the song that can make viral.

I can imagine the memes about the Mac Daddy part. "Eye on you but it"s just the Mac Daddy (10 hours)"

• GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, Creed said:

yeah, that was me. and i correct myself: Axl probably never had this ability. It was Izzy who wrote the choruses. However the choruses on Contraband are very 'oldGnR' as well.

Izzy wrote some choruses, yes, you make it sound like he wrote them all. 

You don't think Jungle and Sweet Child have good choruses? GN'R's biggest anthems, zero lyrics, choruses, or otherwise written by Izzy Stradlin.

Edited by MooseMan

I'd be surprised if Hard School would be chosen as lead single, though in saying that, I want them to play it live to see if it's changed lyrically or the structure of the song itself since the recordings of those demos.

For me, it would be Atlas. One of my favourite Guns tunes. I've played it to death since it leaked in it's entirety, it's been a very long time since a song had that effect on me.  

• Like 2

From all the songs we've heard I don't think Axl or the band we're ever really concerned with making a mainstream hit single, from the entire CD sessions that we've heard I think 'Better' is still the closest the band ever got to a truly radio friendly single. Out of all these songs I think 'Atlas' would have the best chance today, 'Hardschool' seems to have a lot of love here, but any non GnR fan I've played it for have thought it was boring and sounded dated, Not an opinion I share by the way. I really like all of these new recordings we've heard and personally I'm unconcerned if any of them would make a 'great single'. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MooseMan said:

Izzy wrote some choruses, yes, you make it sound like he wrote them all. 

You don't think Jungle, Sweet Child and November Rain have good choruses? GN'R's biggest anthems, zero lyrics, choruses, or otherwise written by Izzy Stradlin.

November Rain doesn't have a chorus, same with Estranged. 

Hard School is the obvious choice for a first single. Add a killer Slash solo on there and you've got a great radio song.