Unpopular Opinion: UYI Production Made GNR Biggest Band in the World

8 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

If it would have been a proper double album, cut down to 14ish songs, man it could really rank high up there. I just think the songs should have been toured and tested before recording, songs like Don't Cry, Back Off Bitch, sound fantastic. I attribute this to them being played during the Appetite days. Songs like Dust N' Bones, DTJ, Yesterday's, Perfect Crime, Bad Obsession could have been so much better (and I actually love all those songs on the records) I just think the live versions are so much better and have such a different vibe that it seems like a mistep to not have started the tour sooner and try more of the songs out before recording started 

From what I know they already started too early, Axl didnt want to start touring prior to the release of the albums but he was somehow tricked into doing so when they werent ready.

11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I always hear people compare UYI to other classic double albums, but people forget that UYI is actually a quadruple album. 

I see journalists compare it to The White Album and so on, then they say the comparison is because UYI is a double album like those. 

All of those classic double albums were actually 2 LPs, thus the "double album" moniker. But each Illusion is 2 LPs so each one is a double album in its own right. 

You mean on Vinyl? So The Wall and Physical Graffiti are two actual vinyls? And each UYI is two?

3 hours ago, ax1 said:

From what I know they already started too early, Axl didnt want to start touring prior to the release of the albums but he was somehow tricked into doing so when they werent ready.

I have written a bit about it here:

uten_n38.png

Source: http://www.a-4-d.com/t4046p180-the-history-in-their-own-words#16031

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"As I've said before, I shouldn't have been on tour when we started in 1991, that had a lot to do with Alan Niven, our then manager, and Slash. In my opinion Alan wanted money and Slash wanted the touring to get the better of me given my circumstances at the time. My safety and well-being were not their concern." - Axl Rose

https://www.fuse.tv/2013/03/axl-rose-claims-slash-tried-to-sabotage-his-health

Niven's response essentially was that the band was very excited to tour and that he found Axl's complaint ridiculous. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

You mean on Vinyl? So The Wall and Physical Graffiti are two actual vinyls? And each UYI is two?

Correct.. The Wall, The White Album and so on are all 2 LPs. UYI I is, 2 LPs on it's own, as is UYI II. 

On 10/5/2019 at 10:56 AM, UsedYourIllusion said:

If it would have been a proper double album, cut down to 14ish songs, man it could really rank high up there. I just think the songs should have been toured and tested before recording, songs like Don't Cry, Back Off Bitch, sound fantastic. I attribute this to them being played during the Appetite days. Songs like Dust N' Bones, DTJ, Yesterday's, Perfect Crime, Bad Obsession could have been so much better (and I actually love all those songs on the records) I just think the live versions are so much better and have such a different vibe that it seems like a mistep to not have started the tour sooner and try more of the songs out before recording started 

That’s a good point! AFD was “market tested” live and some of those songs hashed and rehashed for like almost one-two years on the stage? And it shows.

Pretty Tied Up is so much better than on record. It’s got Michael Jackson level vocal layering haha... and those reverbs drums. If they did it in one take live in studio it would have crushed.

Edited by Ant

On 9/30/2019 at 9:29 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

I'd like to hear the rawer tracks Slash raved about in his book that we never got to hear. That rough mix of 14 years is pretty baller

I just heard this for the first time. Why in the hell did they cut out the guitar solo/jam at the end of the song? It was so good.

7 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I would never actually put that together hearing it. It sounds way different to be an actual rip off lol

Izzy has said many times he would play a song he had written for Axl, Axl would nit-pick saying parts or notes sounded like this or that song, and Izzy would say, "No, man!"

I always found this story very funny :lol:

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, RONIN said:

Niven's response essentially was that the band was very excited to tour and that he found Axl's complaint ridiculous. 

Slash i think understood how fickle the business was. There last show was the farm aid concert in 89, so thats 2 years so i think slash knew they had to get back into the public eye again and start to touring straight away.  

Edited by Sydney Fan

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Can you link this version by any chance? Never heard it!

Sorry I can't it was on Youtube for like 8 years and now it's gone because some fuckhead is removing all kinds of GNR videos from Youtube. The Nightrain demo not on the boxset with the different intro that has rain and train sounds is gone aswell and I can't find it to download anywhere either so you're not alone with this sort of issue.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Sorry I can't it was on Youtube for like 8 years and now it's gone because some fuckhead is removing all kinds of GNR videos from Youtube

Yeah I figured... thanks anyway!

It’s the content hoarder incel “fans” right... if their houses are as I picture them, hopefully they get crushed by an avalanche of old newspapers when they go to empty their piss bottles.