username

Which version of Chinese Democracy (the song) is the best?

Which version of Chinese Democracy (the song) is the best?   

122 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Chinese Democracy (the song) is the best?

• Chinese Democracy {Ver.1} (2000-11-05) from Rough Mixes CD #1 (2000-11-08)
    • Chinese Democracy (Doubled Guitars) from 160 Rough Mixes (2001-06-01)
    • Chinese Democracy (Single Guitars) from 160 Rough Mixes (2001-06-01)
    • Chinese Democracy (Old Josh Drums) from 184 New Brain Drums (2001-06-27)
    • Chinese Democracy (New Brain Drums) from 184 New Brain Drums (2001-06-27)
    • Chinese Democracy (Drums and Guitars at Regular Level) from 238 Chinese Democracy (New Brain Drums - 3rd Time) (2001-09-06)
    • Chinese Democracy (Drums up 1 dB) from 238 Chinese Democracy (New Brain Drums - 3rd Time) (2001-09-06)
    • Chinese Democracy (Drums up 2 dB) from 238 Chinese Democracy (New Brain Drums - 3rd Time) (2001-09-06)
    • Chinese Democracy (Guitars up 2.5 dB, Drums at Regular Level) from 238 Chinese Democracy (New Brain Drums - 3rd Time) (2001-09-06)
    • Chinese Democracy (Guitars up 1.5 dB) from 238 Chinese Democracy (New Brain Drums - 3rd Time) (2001-09-06)
    • Chinese Democracy (Guitars up 0.7 dB) from 238 Chinese Democracy (New Brain Drums - 3rd Time) (2001-09-06)
    • Chinese Democracy (Instrumental with Drums and Guitars at Regular Lev from 238 Chinese Democracy (New Brain Drums - 3rd Time) (2001-09-06)
    • Chinese Democracy (2006-2007 demo, 2007-05-05 MSL leak)
    • Chinese Democracy (2008-06-18 Antiquiet leak)
    • Chinese Democracy (album version) from Chinese Democracy (2008)

The Chinese Democracy Poll to end all The Chinese Democracy Poll's! (until a new version leaks anyway)

I'm sure you've all spent a lot of time comparing all these versions, so cast your votes! 

My favorite is the Antiquiet version. It sounds closest to the 2002 live version.

Posted (edited)

The final album version, with Axl’s high-pitched raps harmonies on the verses, and Bumblefoot’s fretless guitar.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I'd say the final album version ... but, man, it's missing bass. There is a rumbling bass to earlier versions that I just adore. And when you listen to the final studio recording, it's noticeably absent.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I'd say the final album version ... but, man, it's missing bass. There is a rumbling bass to earlier versions that I just adore. And when you listen to the final studio recording, it's noticeably absent.

Yeah, I agree with that. I too wish the bass from the 2001 versions was on the final mix.

I really like some of the earlier versions. I think the Rm1 mix might be my favourite as the guitars are really crunchy, but I'd need to compare 

Posted (edited)

Double guitars sounds better. It's missing that one cool guitar part during "Cause it would take a lot more time than you" 

it's common in the 2001-2002  live version.

Edited by DarkLotus1111

Posted (edited)

The 2000 intentions one. Gets right to the point. Feels alive and isnt polished to hell. 

That whole album is beautiful. You can hear tommy. 

Edited by Hollywood Zombie

I can’t decide between RMCD#1 and Double Guitars. Both are incredible and have a nice full but raw sound to them.

I really like Single Guitars too because we get to hear Tommy’s nasty bass line but it’s a little empty.

Josh Freese is the mang, mang.

Whaaaaa?!?

There's been that many versions to leak over the years?

My favorite is the one live with Slash and Duff. They fixed that song and made it sound like rock n’ roll and not some techno rock. 
the guitars in the CD album are pitiful. 

Edited by 865Gunner

On 10/9/2019 at 11:01 PM, doakes said:

Whaaaaa?!?

There's been that many versions to leak over the years?

To be fair all but three of those (2007 leak, 2008 leak, and album version) have leaked in he last month and a half.

My favorite is Old Josh Drums, I think. I haven't really had a chance to sit down and do a nitty gritty compare/contrast yet. 

• Like 1

Antiquiet. We didn't need the Bumblefoot overdubs on the album. They are what they are but the antiquiet seems like the best version culled from the progression of where it got better live through evolution.

On 2019-10-02 at 10:12 PM, GnR Chris said:

Wholeheartedly agree with this. 

Edited by Thorbear

Without question the final version in 2008 is the best, the rest would not be as popular. And the real reason it's much better is that a lot of the more industrial sounds are buried in favour of Bumblefoots sleazy riff.

• Like 1

most definitely the Slash and Duff versions; i just love Slash's tone with the opening riff. I think it pairs better with the rest of the set than the live 2009 and 2010 versions. From leaks, its the version without the doubled guitars; although i have to agree that the 2008 studio version sounds more modern and not stuck in 1999 like the earlier leaks. Just needs a big bass boost

"Old Josh Drums" - it is very similar to the Rough Mixes Disk 1 version however on Rough Mixes the intro and the song are so varied volume wise that either you can barely hear the intro or the song itself is super super loud when it kicks odd

Josh Freese on drums, the arrangement being more sparse and punchy with those 2002-tour electronic sounds, this is by far my favorite version

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I'm not a busy man, but I don't have the time for this shit.:P

Enough time to comment though ;):D