Backdrops during live concerts

What should be on the big screens during live concerts?  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since the NITL tour Guns have leaned heavily on backdrop movies on the big screens during songs. The (poorly done) computer animations of guns, roses, heads, lizzards and what not. When I saw them live in 2006 and 2010 this was used MUCH less and the big screens just showed live footage of what was happening on stage (in my memory anyway). Personally I really prefer this over all the animations/movies they're using now. I always felt the big screens were mostly there to bring the action on stage closer for a large audience. I don't really care about the backdrop movies and they add very little for me personally. Anybody feel the same, or is it just me? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lio said:

I think they're shitty. But the London company that's doing them seem to be really proud. I understand why they would use an intro film, before coming on stage, but the ones I saw, lasted far too long.

The only video I liked, was when they're showing pics of them on stage during SOYL.

I don't need skulls or skeletons having sex or the ballerina or whatever. Interested to see if there are people who actually think those are great and adding to the experience.

Couldn't agree more. 

Poll needs more options imo. For instance they could easily be panning the audience here and there and putting that up on the big screens here and there. My two cents

That being said I voted for shit-canning (most) of the backdrops because it would make it easier for the people sitting in the way back seats to be able to see the band and the action. Which really is making me wonder why they stopped doing that now 😳

Edited by Crowebar

Disagree, they show video of the band all the time on the side screens, it gets a bit boring with 3hrs of video of the band only on the main screen that's the same as the side screens

Guns have in the past often had weird and wonderful thinks like cartoons etc going on, the stuff in early 2000's looked like stock clips

Most large concerts have content, think the Guns stuff is geared to Axl's eclectic tastes, think it's better than most out there tbh and adds to the experience.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, swishtz said:

Disagree, they show video of the band all the time on the side screens, it gets a bit boring with 3hrs of video of the band only on the main screen that's the same as the side screens

Guns have in the past often had weird and wonderful thinks like cartoons etc going on, the stuff in early 2000's looked like stock clips

Most large concerts have content, think the Guns stuff is geared to Axl's eclectic tastes, think it's better than most out there tbh and adds to the experience.

Yeah good points for sure 👍🏻

16 minutes ago, Crowebar said:

Poll needs more options imo. For instance they could easily be panning the audience here and there and putting that up on the big screens here and there. My two cents

Panning the audience is still being done too, but on the sidescreens.

17 minutes ago, swishtz said:

I'm not completely against backdrops. For instance the Stones are great at making them work. And I also really dig them with Pink Floyd. Nick Mason's recent tour even brought back the 60's style liquid projections which were amazing. But the ones GnR have been using on the NITL tour just really don't work for me. They don't enhance the songs at all, look poorly made and cheap (even though I know they're not) and if anything they distract from the music. So just give me band- and crowdshots instead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, username said:

I'm not completely against backdrops. For instance the Stones are great at making them work. And I also really dig them with Pink Floyd. Nick Mason's recent tour even brought back the 60's style liquid projections which were amazing. But the ones GnR have been using on the NITL tour just really don't work for me. They don't enhance the songs at all, look poorly made and cheap (even though I know they're not) and if anything they distract from the music. So just give me band- and crowdshots instead. 

Wasn't impressed with the Stones stuff beyond the logo on the yellow that's cool on this tour was a bit bland but was about the live footage more with those massive screens per band member. 
Roger Waters The Wall is a whole different kettle of fish. Floyd, they haven't been about forever? 

Personally definitely don't think they look cheap or poorly made, you may not like them which is perfectly ok , some I like some are a bit wtf, many come from the Chinese democracy art , AFD art, etc if you've seen those sleeves

2 minutes ago, swishtz said:

Wasn't impressed with the Stones stuff beyond the logo on the yellow that's cool on this tour was a bit bland but was about the live footage more with those massive screens per band member. 
Roger Waters The Wall is a whole different kettle of fish. Floyd, they haven't been about forever? 

Personally definitely don't think they look cheap or poorly made, you may not like them which is perfectly ok , some I like some are a bit wtf, many come from the Chinese democracy art , AFD art, etc if you've seen those sleeves

Yeah no doubt they're def not cheap. I like the new intro video for sure 

Like the backdrops a lot, especially the animated ones.  Don't care for the pan shots of the crowd.  Not so much into the individual shots of band members.  Groups of band members is good.  The stage does get a little busy at times but for the most part it's interesting throughout the show. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gold top 78 said:

Time to get rid of the backdrops as it seems like if there isn’t a video for the song being played then it won’t get played. It wouldn’t surprise if that’s another reason for not playing any of the new alt songs on the set list. 

goes in line with TB's approach lol

I'd say half the animations are pretty cool; the other half seem sort of lame. I mean, when comparing to something like Bassnectar. He has insane visuals for his shows. I know it's a different genre, but still. But definitely don't just do live shots of band on middle screen. That's what side screens are for. If I'm in the way, way back, I wanna see a full on stage show with everything. When I'm close, I don't even watch the videos. I watch the actual band.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I stand by my statement since about 2011: I think the background videos more or less look like Windows screensavers from the late 90s. 

The lizard during The Seeker definitely does.

That said, did we ever get footage of that backdrop video for Catcher with the dinosaur that was used around 2013? That was dope. Someome asked Axl about it I think and he said something like "I dunno, man, sometimes I look behind me and think 'what the...'" :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Amir said:

The lizard during The Seeker definitely does.

That said, did we ever get footage of that backdrop video for Catcher with the dinosaur that was used around 2013? That was dope. Someome asked Axl about it I think and he said something like "I dunno, man, sometimes I look behind me and think 'what the...'" :P

Lol really ? Thought that was diabolical

The jellyfish during estranged were cool i think. Animations/backdrops can be really cool IF done right. There was a swedish band called Kent, who had amazing video backdrops (particullary during their 2016 farewell tour). 

I like the side screens for bandshots, but not the center screens like Metallica used during their latest tour. 

• Like 1