P.R.L. - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

1 hour ago, ZODIAC said:

With some good lyrics... Maybe we can get one of these amazing impersonators to sing along...  

At least some "hay hays..." 😂

My brother actually does a REALLY good Axl impersonation. He's not on the forums, but he's sang professionally for years. He's got a really high range and could easily pull off the rasp. 

• Like 1

I'm not really feeling this one. I was expecting some ballad type song like "D Tune" or "As It Began". I really like the name "P.R.L." though. Either way I'm thankful for anything from these sessions. 

It definitely needs guitars by Buckethead and some angry Mickey into the mix. And more Pittman because we all know how much we love him... 😏

Edited by DarkLotus1111

58 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

So we need someone, who can write some awesome lyrics...

I could get at my brother about that too. He was in a band years ago and wrote all the lyrics back then. 

Plus, he's a Slash fan, so he could easily write something about Slash lol

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I could get at my brother about that too. He was in a band years ago and wrote all the lyrics back then. 

Plus, he's a Slash fan, so he could easily write something about Slash lol

I can do that for Me and my Elvis..

found it funny that the tune goes well  with "Me and my Axl", so thats how I hum the lyrics when its playing :D

Edited by username05
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Creed said:

but it makes no sense to sing like Mickey, when you can sing like this. And singing like Mickey is definately the worst voice to choose...

Axl simply cant sing on industrial tracks. its like telling Frank Sinatra to sing rock. he never did rock, because he would have sucked. 

I feel like there is a difference between the powerful, clean vocals (used all over the album and the 2001-2002 tour) and what I understand to be 'Mickey'.

Pigeonholing Axl into one catagory is silly though, man. The man himself is very eclectic and is very capable of branching out into other areas.

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

I feel like there is a difference between the powerful, clean vocals (used all over the album and the 2001-2002 tour) and what I understand to be 'Mickey'.

Pigeonholing Axl into one catagory is silly though, man. The man himself is very eclectic and is very capable of branching out into other areas.

raspy voice is the best part of his voice, and I'm suprised that he went with the clean but nasal sound on so many songs. it goes well with Madagascar and Blues. But TWAT and Prostitute could go well with rasp. 

but on the other hand, choosing a clean voice for most Chinese Democracy songs, has integrity...if you consider what in hindsight were production priorities. 

chinese democracy songs are far more lyric-driven, and put much more emphasis on story telling than on the whole picture.

While UYI and AFD had voice mesh with the instruments, the instruments are almost a backdrop for many of the CD songs. Notable exceptions from this rule are

3 songs: Shackler, Sorry and IRS, which have somewhat balanced vocals and instruments. The pacing of those songs is different to all other songs... and maybe thats why the homogenous sound was more successful. 

since previous albums were less of a story (they had great lyrics... but sounded like a mesh of sounds, and lyrics are often had ambiguous meanings),...

while CD has been produced so you can focus on each instrument and vocal individually... and lyrics are far more explicit and literal (twat intro is an explicit story)...

so I guess the point was to understand the lyrics from the get-go...  

I liked the old arrangement more

(english isnt my default language, so I relied more on the feel and energy of the song than lyrics when I first listen to them, and now, the lyrics are sometimes to much in my face)

unlike this: where vocals were like a magic sauce... and he could be singing about teletubies, or whatever, and I wouldnt care :D

Edited by username05

9 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Was listening to "State of Grace" last night and Axl really does the song a disservice by singing the verses so lazily

Should have re-recorded those lines at some point

agreed. I feel like the kid in "emperors new clothes" every time I think how to cringe they are. And I feel like im the only one noticing the obvious.

Or just get someone else to sing it... or skip it all togather. But the vocals are like he has nasal infection

Edited by username05

16 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Was listening to "State of Grace" last night and Axl really does the song a disservice by singing the verses so lazily

He probably did re-record all the vocals eventually, considering that all we've really heard of that song thus far is just a scratch vocal from 2001.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

6 minutes ago, username05 said:

agreed. I feel like the kid in "emperors new clothes" every time I think how to cringe they are. And I feel like im the only one noticing the obvious.

Or just get someone else to sing it... or skip it all togather. But the vocals are like he has nasal infection

You two realize that this was a rough mix CD not meant for the public, but simply to his confidants and associates, most likely for feedback, or to get people to understand what he's going for... 

All the movies and music you love were sent around by the artists/colleagues they trust to help them out with the making-- very few artists in any field do everything themselves without feedback of sorts so they understand what works and what doesn't work... 

And who's to say he didn't re-record these songs at a later date? Or dropped them all together... I don't comment here much, but I see a lot of people really going off on how lazy he was and how little vocals he sang... This was almost 20 years ago. I'm sure there is plenty more material; some updates of stuff we've now heard, and some that we never even knew existed... 

And I'm not staunch Axl defenders. I'm disappointed we don't have troves of material, but clearly he has issues with his music and/or outside inferences that prevent him from releasing new music. 

Educate yourselves...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

He probably did re-record all the vocals eventually, considering that all we've really heard of that song thus far is just a scratch vocal from 2001.

The same vocal tracks from 1999 ended up on the final album, ProTooled to hell (TWAT, IRS, Prostitute, Madagascar, The Blues except the outro, etc.)

State of Grace isn't scratch lyrics, he's just singing it so poorly you assume he's making it up as he goes along

Axl insisted on doing all this shit in one take 

Hey Axl - you needed more than one take

Edited by TheSeeker

I know the purpose of rough mixes and rough previews, and I do those for my line of work as well. And I wouldnt comment if I didnt notice that other songs from the same seasions hadnt had the vocals updated up to 2008 release date.

And its not a stretch of the imagination to think that Axl considered this song vocally "Finished" as well. (none of the 99 leaks had a single vocal track updated in 9 years... one would think he'd redo those vocals just for shit and giggles after such a long time)

I had hoped that first 2 min TWAT vocals would improve as well in the final cd... but they remained the same. And there's something offputting about them as well - the voice is perfect, but the lyrics/music feel forced togather up to the "bound to see for my self" part (and I know its a shit thing to say... especially from a "Fan" but cant help to criticize) 

and I think a good producer would have put emphasis on such things... and squeezed more out of a song. Hell... to be perfectly honest... I think every song on CD (except for scraped) had the potential to be "The best GNR song"... but  in many cases, production/arrangement failed to push the concept to its potential. And thats what producers are there for... to squeeze every last drop of the juice. And there's a lot of juice untapped... and even I as a laik see that. 

its no wonder that for me the most flawless CD songs are the ones that had the simplest concepts: OMG, Madagascar, Sorry, Shackler, Chinese democracy, Catcher in the rye, Blues . These songs stuck to the basic Idea.  Others are using 2-3 different voices... 2-3 different themes... and for that, you need a good producer to pull off well, otherwise, the song looses integrity. 

Edited by username05
  • Like 1

Just now, TheSeeker said:

The same vocal tracks from 1999 ended up on the final album, ProTooled to hell (TWAT, IRS, Prostitute, Madagascar, The Blues except the outro, etc.)

State of Grace isn't scratch lyrics, he's just singing it so poorly you assume he's making it up as he goes along

Axl insisting on doing all this shit in one take 

For all we know the other CD songs probably had "rougher" vocals in earlier stages too, tho.

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

For all we know the other CD songs probably had "rougher" vocals in earlier stages too, tho.

I'm not sure if most songs had any lyrics a lot sooner than 99. so I doubt there were "2-3" vocal variants. unfortunately there's no evidence to claim so. 

I expected that Axl would go back to studio and rerecord his parts, after Baz had instructed him to do vocal training etc. Since a perfectionist would try to see what he can do with his new "technique"... but nothing came out of it. 

Edited by username05

31 minutes ago, username05 said:

I'm not sure if most songs had any lyrics a lot sooner than 99. so I doubt there were "2-3" vocal variants. unfortunately there's no evidence to claim so. 

I expected that Axl would go back to studio and rerecord his parts, after Baz had instructed him to do vocal training etc. Since a perfectionist would try to see what he can do with his new "technique"... but nothing came out of it. 

Maybe he did go back and re-record some, but ultimately, didn't like them as much as the ones he had done years earlier. Remember, there was a leak for This I Love with totally different, and raspy, vocals, so it is completely possible there are variants to a lot of the songs and he just kept coming back to the ones on these leaks...

Also, he may prefer the cleaner voice he uses on a lot of songs, despite most people on this forum preferring the raspy voice-- which also can be further suggested by his use of the clean This I Love vocals mentioned above. 

3 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

This is a pretty silly post. SOG is clearly scratch lyrics. Yes, he mumbled the second half of the song because that's what he wanted the finished vocals to be, I'm sure

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Stuff like Hardschool, Perhaps and Atlas probably never got re-recorded vocals.

Stuff like State of Grace and Eye on You almost definitely had the vocals re-recorded at some point though. Axl was still recording vocals for the album in 2007, and it's entirely possible he re-did State of Grace well before then. Those songs, Nothing, Quick Song, they clearly have unfinished vocals... :shrugs:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Little late to this conversation but as a musician I would love to try to finish one of these songs. I do a pretty boss Axl impression and play a few instruments. Idk how serious the idea of this was but if anyone wants to “finish” a song lmk! 

Do you just sing? Or do you also play instruments?

17 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Do you just sing? Or do you also play instruments?

I do both, singing is my main drive, guitar is my specialty in terms of instruments, bass I know my way around and I’m learning piano atm

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Little late to this conversation but as a musician I would love to try to finish one of these songs. I do a pretty boss Axl impression and play a few instruments. Idk how serious the idea of this was but if anyone wants to “finish” a song lmk! 

Me and My Elvis will be my #1 vote...but if you do this or any of it make sure we all know you made it and make a standalone post or something.

• GNFNR 2

5 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

State of Grace is definitely scratch lyrics/vocals - more developed than the vocals he laid down on Quick Song which were still "ooh's" the whole time but a lot of these songs were at that point of these disks, Axl still trying out stuff to see how it sounds in the context of the composition and the mix itself.