Paul Huge and the new album

jimmythegent

49 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Ha ha... no 

I don't think people realize Paul was still in the background as late as 08. He's all over these tracks we've listening too and played on the original versions of several older tracks.

Think people people not to stop solely blaming Tobias for the split and consider the reality that he was actually a good song writer. If Gun's record anything from the Chinese Democracy sessions, it'll be something Tobias originally played on. So Jimmy is right, regardless of the cynical comments he gets.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 3

Even if you’re a fan of these leaks and Chi-Dem songs I’d hope you’d at least want them to record them fresh as a band. 

If the whole Frankenstein approach to music continues with the NITL it will be a travesty... not to mention a pebble drop in the music ocean in terms of lasting impact.

”nice work Slash... we did it... NITL is a massive success... here’s Paul’s tapes... you remember Paul... go figure something out with them.”

Maybe we’d get some volcanic Slash rage-metal GNR... that could actually be cool

Edited by Ant
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

I don't think people realize Paul was still in the background as late as 08. He's all over these tracks we've listening too and played on the original versions of several older tracks.

Think people people not to stop solely blaming Tobias for the split and consider the reality that he was actually a good song writer. If Gun's record anything from the Chinese Democracy sessions, it'll be something Tobias originally played on. So Jimmy is right, regardless of the cynical comments he gets.

Oh I'm not blaming him for anything, I just think there's no need for any larger amount of his fingerprints on the material to come. 

Unfortunately I do think he will be on the new album, I also think that slash is way above adding parts to CD era tracks. 

The tour is one thing, but recording is a whole different beast and I think that is when the negative shit will begin. I just can't see Axl binning everything or anything that he did in the last 20 years, and I can't see slash having any interest in adding to it. Time will tell but it's possible slash will take his millions he made in the last 3 years and call it a day on gnr.

Guns don't need to use outside songwriters, which is what Paul Huge started out as, along with West Arkeen and Del James (lol). 

The best GNR songs were either written by the entire band, Axl/Izzy, Axl/Slash or just Axl alone.

Slash is an underrated songwriter, who I feel doesn't get his dues, as if somehow writing killer riffs didn't contribute massively to songs like SCOM, Locomotive, Coma etc. Not to mention his post-Guns tracks like Fall To Pieces, Serial Killer, Slither, Messages, Anastasia, which, in an alternate universe, could've been classic GNR tracks. 

Fuck Paul Huge. What does he have to his name? Back Off Bitch? Okay, he's a co-writer on some of the best CD songs, but still, he ain't fucking Slash, so if the big guy in the top hat says he should do one, Axl needs to fucking listen.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Guns don't need to use outside songwriters, which is what Paul Huge started out as, along with West Arkeen and Del James (lol). 

The best GNR songs were either written by the entire band, Axl/Izzy, Axl/Slash or just Axl alone.

Slash is an underrated songwriter, who I feel doesn't get his dues, as if somehow writing killer riffs didn't contribute massively to songs like SCOM, Locomotive, Coma etc. Not to mention his post-Guns tracks like Fall To Pieces, Serial Killer, Slither, Messages, Anastasia, which, in an alternate universe, could've been classic GNR tracks. 

Fuck Paul Huge. What does he have to his name? Back Off Bitch? Okay, he's a co-writer on some of the best CD songs, but still, he ain't fucking Slash, so if the big guy in the top hat says he should do one, Axl needs to fucking listen.

To me the "Axl alone songs" November Rain and Estranged are as Axl/Slash songs as Coma and Locomotive are. 

I know Slash isn't credited and to some that's all that matters but im my opinion his guitar parts to those songs are elementery and as important as Axl's input.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

To me the "Axl alone songs" November Rain and Estranged are as Axl/Slash songs as Coma and Locomotive are. 

I know Slash isn't credited and to some that's all that matters but im my opinion his guitar parts to those songs are elementery and as important as Axl's input.

Yeah the Estranged riff should have been instant co-credit!

Also his pre-solo is literally the dolphins personified.

I doubt he will be on it at all, but I'm sure there will be writing credits.

He is pretty much the only person who has been on released material that has never done an interview. I'd fucking love to hear him on a podcast.

48 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

I doubt he will be on it at all, but I'm sure there will be writing credits.

He is pretty much the only person who has been on released material that has never done an interview. I'd fucking love to hear him on a podcast.

I agree with both points. Paul had a co write on Guns demo tape, it doesn't just start at UYI with his involvement. Would be great to hear an interview

If I can coin a term, Id say that Paul passed the "Tommy Test." Tommy didnt like Bucket, Bumblefoot, DJ and he tested and pushed Brain initially. In whispers Tommy talks about people who had never been on a 'big rock record' (a reference to Paul) and that Pauls ideas were undermined, but eventually they all kind of matured and developed better ways of communicating - they needed to discuss why they agree or disagree on an idea. Jump to the CD credits and its clear that Pauls ideas were embraced by Tommy and co.