Paul Huge and the new album

jimmythegent

3 hours ago, bdinan said:

More amazed that people actually think we're getting a new album lol

Oh we'll be getting a new album. Slash himself pretty much said that in the last interview he did but just wouldn't put a date on it which makes sense considering the past.

2 hours ago, soon said:

I agree with both points. Paul had a co write on Guns demo tape, it doesn't just start at UYI with his involvement. Would be great to hear an interview

If I can coin a term, Id say that Paul passed the "Tommy Test." Tommy didnt like Bucket, Bumblefoot, DJ and he tested and pushed Brain initially. In whispers Tommy talks about people who had never been on a 'big rock record' (a reference to Paul) and that Pauls ideas were undermined, but eventually they all kind of matured and developed better ways of communicating - they needed to discuss why they agree or disagree on an idea. Jump to the CD credits and its clear that Pauls ideas were embraced by Tommy and co.

I don't think Paul has passed the "Tommy Test" . Paul didn't pass the Slash/Duff test and was still in the band long after these two... I believe that if Tommy tried to "test" Paul in any shape or form, he would not be in the band for so long. If Slash and Duff didn't embrace the guy or his ideas,  wouldn't be Tommy decision to embrace or not Paul's persona and ideas that will matter

41 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

I don't think Paul has passed the "Tommy Test" . Paul didn't pass the Slash/Duff test and was still in the band long after these two... I believe that if Tommy tried to "test" Paul in any shape or form, he would not be in the band for so long. If Slash and Duff didn't embrace the guy or his ideas,  wouldn't be Tommy decision to embrace or not Paul's persona and ideas that will matter

I think Paul was there pre Tommy. He may not have had band member status, but I think he was tinkering in the studio starting immediately after SFTD, and then was promoted. But to your point, nobody was going to test Axl's Indiana pal.

Yes- and Mantia/Carroll (Bucket)/Scaturro too. To me they (along with Rose) were the stand out writers on Chinese- and therefore only natural to wonder if they’re involved with any of the follow-up work...

FWIW I do remember hearing Fortus had a much bigger role with the follow-up material. Naturally makes sense from a performance POV. Not sure if that meant writing too though...

4 hours ago, Dean said:

All joking aside, I love Paul’s work on Chinese and thought he was great in the live shows he played. The guy has a great ear for a tune.

I quite like Huge as well. Never understood the hate he gets from some fans. As much as I like Fortus, I was gutted when Huge stopped playing gigs

Didn't paul also co - write Shadow of Your Love too? I've always wondered what Paul is like to make Slash n Duff not like him, I know Slash doesn't like him cause of him recording his solos on Sympathy but that's kinda because of Axl, but I wonder what went on those "sessions" with him.

On 04/10/2019 at 5:50 PM, djones1225 said:

Didn't paul also co - write Shadow of Your Love too? I've always wondered what Paul is like to make Slash n Duff not like him, I know Slash doesn't like him cause of him recording his solos on Sympathy but that's kinda because of Axl, but I wonder what went on those "sessions" with him.

He co wrote back off bitch. What both Slash and Duff said before to dislike him were although "he couldn't play" he also had an attitude of "Axl boy" that no matter what he did he would be in the band regardless of what Slash and Duff thought about it

On 10/4/2019 at 4:32 AM, ©GnrPersia said:

Why Axl choose average people and noobs as his 'family'. Fernando, Paul Huge etc

Because he did. Because he wanted to . Because they were there.  Because he has no family of his own. Because they , my opinion, were agreeable people. Just my opinion, you would hope not, that he is not surrounded by YES people. Really little is known  about his private life life.Yes people are always a recipe for  disaster and a lonely way.  Ex. Elvis, Prince. Prince said people you pay are not friends. Too bad he did not take his own advice.

Edited by Amaya
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 5:35 AM, jimmythegent said:

Anyone else intrigued as to how much Paul Huges’  fingerprints will be on any new album?

Intrigued, solely based on his CD writing credits. If Paul composed or co-wrote more great tunes (I consider the tunes he had a hand in great)  and Axl thinks those tunes can still have a place in a new Guns album, then yeah, I would like to know how many more he wrote and my hope is that Axl will use a good idea cause it's a good idea, and it shouldn't matter that the guy who came up with these ideas is not exactly liked by all involved.

This time Slash can record on top of Paul or Richard and Slash can rerecord all of Paul's guitars. His ideas work with Axl's musical vision imo.

Look at it this way: Paul has writing credits on: There Was A Time, Catcher, I.R.S, Prostitute, and Oh My God. My guess is that he probably wrote more. These songs are part of the identity of Chinese and all of them imo could have worked well with Slash.

Slash used Paul's ideas anyway from the early days of the band. (Back Off Bitch, SOYL) and is still playing SOYL and has played Twat, Catcher, and Prostitute fairly recently. I don't see the problem. Whoever comes up with the best shit that works should get an album space and a writing credit and the rest of the band should try to incorporate it into the larger musical concept just like they all did in the past. Not just with Paul's tunes.

Edited by Rovim

On 10/4/2019 at 12:58 AM, megaguns1982 said:

Unfortunately I do think he will be on the new album, I also think that slash is way above adding parts to CD era tracks. 

The tour is one thing, but recording is a whole different beast and I think that is when the negative shit will begin. I just can't see Axl binning everything or anything that he did in the last 20 years, and I can't see slash having any interest in adding to it. Time will tell but it's possible slash will take his millions he made in the last 3 years and call it a day on gnr.

Happy, personally and professionally , clean, sober, mature middle aged men of 56_57, professionals in other music business of theirs individually and in other non- music businessness, my opinion, NITL Never Ending Tour going on 4 years is where it started, stops and ends.                                                                       No new music. Music doesn't sell like AFD-UYIs . They had their day.  Whetevis the market for new music from them?  The tour has been a personal U.S Mint ,lol, in terms of personal ,individual payday of tens of millions for The Big 3. As a company, GnR,owned by them, they got a second chance in life for the first time to do this thing the right way. Mature, mind and hand on every aspect of their business,  clean, sober, aware, in front if their  families and friends selling out football stadiums. They never did that before. 30 years ago in a way. Duff and Slash hardly knew what planet they were on.Axl was a crazy, paranoid dictator.                                  My opinion, Axl knows his friends, cowriters etc.are his. Like Slash cannot bring in his point  man, Miles, to work on GnR. The Big 3 are at peace,so no mixing  each mans individual businessness,  collaborators with GnR. For sake of arguement, Axl's Indiana bunch, friends, collaborators, CD era music of his was created  by brilliant, great genesises and the best thing since the invention of the guitar. Slash, Duff have their own  legacies and rights to i dividual works , children, businessness apart from GnR . No mixing, or nrw music and you get into all that legal stuff too. If he would not want to work with Izzy, because the magic was 30-35 years ago, def not Axk's camp. Neither of The Big 3 would want to cut profits all those ways either. 

A lot of solid material came out from Guns that wasn't literally just the 5 guys - input from others within their scene. 

Don't care who helps out and provides ideas and inspiration etc if it gets Axl up and at.

My main concern with any new album is that it will be CD related stuff, with Slash n' Duff pasted on top. I personally would like them all to start to bring things to the table that are fresh with this current lineup and evolving the album/songs more organically as a group. Not have 30 songs more or less done that Axl hands to Slash et el to chop, change, and play over.

Axl in the studio again singing, not relying on old vocals he recorded way back when, is also what I'm hopeful for. 

Gone a bit off topic. GnR have often had input from variety of their associates, don't care if that's Paul Huge or not, just that they all get in and amongst it and thrash out something genuine.