Your "best of the locker" CDs

I know CD#2 from the locker hasn't leaked yet and it might include some interesting stuff, but while we all wait the mighty Chairman to deliver the goods, I couldn't help creating my own "best of" cd like many of you probably did too.

I gave myself a few rules: no songs that came out on Chinese Democracy, using all the other songs with vocals, using some of my favorite instrumentals (especially those who seem to sound great even without a vocal track), try to give the whole thing a decent flow.

This is what I came up with (with a few notes here and there):

01. Hardschool
Kinda obvious. I wanted the cd to start with a rocker and this definitely works.

02. Tommy Demo #01
I wanted another rocker to follow Hardschool and I picked this song that I didn't really dig at first, but it slowly grew up on me. It fits, after all. Kinda like Shackler's following Chinese on CD, that's how the transition feels like to me. Wonder what's the actual title of this song.

03. Atlas Shrugged
Time to start slowing things down a little bit. Atlas is one of my favorite leaks and works just fine in this position.

04. Thyme / 05. State Of Grace
I honestly love this little instrumental bit and it works fine to keep things mellow here. No idea if it evolved into its own song or it was just the intro to PRL (which I didn't really like), but this just sounds heartwrenching to me. I think it fits well with State Of Grace (a little masterpiece, one of my favorite leaks) so i overlapped the last note of Thyme with the first one from State Of Grace, turning the former into a sort of intro for the latter.

06. Me & My Elvis

07. Quick Song
The version with guide vocals

08. Eye On You
Probably my least favorite of the leaks. The first time I put this cd together I literally forgot to add it, that says a lot.

09. Perhaps

10. Goin' Down

11. As It Began

I put this here as a little interlude, sort of intro to the most diverse part of the tracklist.

12. Inside Out / 13. Nothing / 14. Dummy
These are three tracks that share, each in its own way, a sort of "pop" feel. I worked them out as a sort of little trilogy. For 'Inside Out' I used a fixed version I made myself with that big glitch removed. Also, I somehow edited the abrupt ending so that it would have a slightly smoother transition into the first note of 'Nothing'. 'Dummy' is probably my favorite instrumental with Me & My Elvis. While I can see a vocal track improving the latter, I just can't imagine what kind of vocals might go on Dummy. The acoustic hook is simply amazing though, been playing this for days.

15. Silkworms
Always felt like a closing track to me.

I left out many other tracks I dig (Oklahoma, Devious Bastard, Prom Violence, Zodiac...) either because I couldn't find a "fitting" spot for them or just because I didn't want the instrumentals to overpower the vocal tracks. This tracklist of 15, clocking at 60 mins, just feels nice to me. How do you like it? Maybe you want to try to put the songs in this order and see yourself. Also, I would love to hear the tracklists of the cds you made for yourself as well. 

Edited by Twinaleblood
  • Like 3

1. Perhaps
2. State of Grace
3. Hardschool
4. Atlas Shrugged
--------------------
5. KOHD (Acoustic)
6. Eye On You
7. Silkworms
8. CITR 2000
9. CD 2000
10. The Blues 2000
--------------------
- The rest of the CD songs with vocals, including the Tommy demos
--------------------
- Everything else

There's a really good EP's worth of songs on the locker discs (the first 4 songs I listed) but everything else is basically just 'bonus tracks' as far as I'm concerned...

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

I took all the songs with vocals, used 2000 intentions as the name (figured it worked well for a bunch of demos/unreleased songs) and used a modified red hand CD cover:

Hard School

OMG

Atlas Shrugged

SOG

Nothing

Tommy Demo #1

Eye on You

Quick Song

Going Down

Silkworms

Perhaps

I was originally going to wait till rough mixes #2 leaked to compile an instrumental album but I'm still waiting lol. I was also thinking of putting together an alternate version of CD using the locker/remix discs along with the 2009 rehearsal Scraped so we'll see if I end up doing that.

Edited by The Matinator
  • Like 1

1.Hardschool 2.Atlas (RM1) 3.Perhaps 4.State of Grace 5.Silkworms (RM1) 6.The General (Evader’s) 7.Quick Song (w/Vocals) 8.Nothing 9.Going Down (2002) 10.Tommy Demo One 11.Eye On You 12.KOHD (Acoustic)

and in addition to those, the instrumentals I consider “worthy” are:

13.Zodiac 14.Berlin 15.Prom Violence (Take 3) 16.Curly Shuffle 17.Soul Monster 18.Dub Suplex

49 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

I took all the songs with vocals, used 2000 intentions as the name (figured it worked well for a bunch of demos/unreleased songs) and used a modified red hand CD cover:

Hard School

OMG

Atlas Shrugged

SOG

Nothing

Tommy Demo #1

Eye on You

Quick Song

Going Down

Silkworms

Perhaps

I was originally going to wait till rough mixes #2 leaked to compile an instrumental album but I'm still waiting lol. I was also thinking of putting together an alternate version of CD using the locker/remix discs along with the 2009 rehearsal Scraped so we'll see if I end up doing that.

i did the samething the songs with vocals i put in the album 2000 Intentions

I don't know if 2000 Intentions is the right name but these songs should've been put on a CD re-release or 'tour edition cd' or whatever else they were planning between 2009-2011. Something like this would've been great:

1. Hardschool
2. Oh My God (w/ Buckethead, Brain and Ron)
3. Silkworms
4. State of Grace
5. Perhaps
6. Atlas Shrugged
7. Going Down (w/ Axl backing vocals)
(Bonus tracks)
8. This I Love (remix)
9. Eye On You
10. Shackler's Revenge (remix)
11. If The World (remix)
12. Better (acoustic)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, janrichmond said:

1. Hardschool

Yeah. i want Hardschool bc is about Ssslash! :lol: i like the song. The best one i believe.

I was thinkin today about the new album, and i want Slash takin some lead on this. Not more chinese re re re re recorded. I had enough of it all this years (all of it with 1 fkn album). This leaked shit worth CERO now we have the old guys back. Today is impossible release a bluray or media stuff from the ´99 to 2012... all that shit worths not money. To the music industry... most of the world want the old stuff. The fkn gold era.

Tell me when i will get my fkn bluray from Florida 1991. Or wembley 91... or Stockholm 1991! pls. I want to buy this shit. I bought the Locked n Loaded, now giveme my fkn blurays!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, axlvai said:

Tell me when i will get my fkn bluray from Florida 1991. Or wembley 91... or Stockholm 1991! pls. I want to buy this shit. I bought the Locked n Loaded, now giveme my fkn blurays!!

I still stand by what I said years ago that GnR should by a server and set up a Use Your Illusion streaming service with the proshots from all the shows, plus all the behind the scenes footage.

Just call it Use Your Illusion Plus (+) or some shit.

Edited by rocknroll41

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

I still stand by what I said years ago that GnR should by a server and set up a Use Your Illusion streaming service with the proshots from all the shows, plus all the behind the scenes footage.

Just call it Use Your Illusion Plus (+) or some shit.

Nice name.

Or some cinema premieres. With releases on bluray after that.

• Like 1

My top 15 songs from the discs, in no order (After the top 2) and regardless of whether they were on the album or not:

1. Perhaps
2. Hard School
3. Me & My Elvis
4. Oklahoma
5. Atlas Shrugged (Disc 12 - Drums down 1.5db, this one's grown on me a lot)
6. The Blues (Rough Mixes #1)
7. I'm Sorry
8. Quick Song (Rough Mixes #2)
9. Madagascar (Disc 7 - Old Josh Drums)
10. State Of Grace
11. Eye On You
12. Mustache
13. Dub Suplex
14. Rhiad (Disc 7 - Old Josh Drums)
15. Catcher In The Rye

• Like 1

This is the album I've made out of my favourite leaked songs, I've avoided using anything that ended up on the final Chinese Democracy.

1. Hardschool
  2. Atlas Strugged
  3. Me & My Elvis
  4. Perhaps
  5. Devious Bastard
  6. State Of Grace
  7. Dub Suplex
  8. Silkworms
  9. Nothing
  10. Oklahoma
  11. Eye On You
  12. Quicksong
  13. Going Down
  14. Knocking On Heavens Door (Acoustic)

I'll probably end up squeezing a couple more instrumentals in there but I don't want it ending up too instrumental heavy.

What a time to be a GNR fan!

• Like 1

Of the rough mixes I stay with:

State of grace - Atlas - Perhaps - Hard School: Because they are almost complete and are very good songs. Better than many in the Chinese (album)

Catcher - Riad: These two songs were particularly destroyed in the CD versions. Rough mixes sound much better

KOHD: Good acoustic version

Eye on you: It is not up to the other songs, although I like the vocal part.

I am realizing that after all this exhausting process of rough mixes leaking, I am left with quite a bit. What depress!

The rest of the songs we already knew, it is interesting to listen to previous versions, but I prefer the CD versions. I'm already used to the album versions and I'm not going to change them.

I don't like Silkworms. I prefer a version that I have, I think fanmade.

Going down, I also keep the previous leak.

About the instrumentals, it was interesting to listen to them, especially knowing how some mythical songs are, such as Oklahoma, Thyme, Soulmonster, but I find it very boring to listen to instrumentals. I don't think I will listen to those instrumentals many more times.