Rough Mixes CD #2 Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

I'm floored that ITW was essentially ready to go in it's final form in 2001. I thought for sure at least the vocals got added later on for that one. 

Mustache is fucking killer. One of the best instrumentals off these discs, absolutely no doubt.

This is the best version of Quick Song yet.

Still working my way through the rest. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

So what's the story behind Shankler's? Or is it Shackler's? This version is a completely different song. Are we to believe Bumble totally reworked it keeping some ideas to produce what ended up being released? Seems so to me ... 

More like Axl loved the instrumenal, got Robin Finck to write the chorus (he's credited) and Caram and Eric Caudeux got credit for editing the song into a cohesive song. Brain and Pete Scaturro got credits because this is a song from Brain/Buckethead/Scaturro band Giant Robot, same as Sorry.

Edited by Bucketdude_666

Love this version of Zodiac. Loved it before, but this version is so much better, other than the intro. 

Tonto is cool, but probably the most underwhelming of the bunch besides P.R.L.

Real Doll.com is very different, sort of funky. Gonna need a few more listens to know how I feel about it.

Shankler's Revenge is...interesting. Totally different song. Can't really compare it to the finished product, as all it really has in common is the verse riff. But I like the tempo of this one, gonna have to make an edit of Shackler's sped up to this tempo. 

I'm Sorry is POWERFUL. Damn, it hits like a ton of bricks when the chorus kicks in. If this is what it sounded like when Baz heard it and called it doom metal over this mean, grinding beat - it makes a lot more sense. Love the drums on this version, and Bucket's solo is slightly different. One of the coolest tracks to hear off of the entire lot of discs. 

Just now, Powerage5 said:

Love this version of Zodiac. Loved it before, but this version is so much better, other than the intro. 

Tonto is cool, but probably the most underwhelming of the bunch besides P.R.L.

Real Doll.com is very different, sort of funky. Gonna need a few more listens to know how I feel about it.

Shankler's Revenge is...interesting. Totally different song. Can't really compare it to the finished product, as all it really has in common is the verse riff. But I like the tempo of this one, gonna have to make an edit of Shackler's sped up to this tempo. 

I'm Sorry is POWERFUL. Damn, it hits like a ton of bricks when the chorus kicks in. If this is what it sounded like when Baz heard it and called it doom metal over this mean, grinding beat - it makes a lot more sense. Love the drums on this version, and Bucket's solo is slightly different. One of the coolest tracks to hear off of the entire lot of discs. 

Zodiac with lyrics has shot up there with The General for my holy grail. Its simply awesome, everything a NuGNR rock song should be.

God damn I wish we got those, Quicksong, Soul Monster, Oklahoma, and Prom Violence with lyrics. Those are all so good.

• GNFNR 2

Just now, ZoSoRose said:

Zodiac with lyrics has shot up there with The General for my holy grail. Its simply awesome, everything a NuGNR rock song should be.

God damn I wish we got those, Quicksong, Soul Monster, Oklahoma, and Prom Violence with lyrics. Those are all so good.

I'm not huge on Prom Violence, but absolutely agree on all the others. 

3 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I'm not huge on Prom Violence, but absolutely agree on all the others. 

Yeah it is a slight notch below the others listed above but I still really dig it and I appreciate a short, to the point rocker.

There are some other really great ideas on these discs with Devious Bastard, D Tune, Curly Shuffle, Dummy, etc. Easily another album or 2

• GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, ryanf23 said:

I reallyyyyyy hope someone overlays Sorry vocals over this instrumental.... hint hint. Same for Shacklers

Sorry will be piss easy to do. Shackler's, less so since the form of the song is so different. The verses will work when sped up, though there isn't really a place for the chorus to fit in. 

And if/when someone does these, they still can't be publicly posted here obviously.

Just now, Powerage5 said:

Sorry will be piss easy to do. Shackler's, less so since the form of the song is so different. The verses will work when sped up, though there isn't really a place for the chorus to fit in. 

Yeah I guess you would have to go with no chorus in order to make it work.

• GNFNR 1

57 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I'm floored that ITW was essentially ready to go in it's final form in 2001. I thought for sure at least the vocals got added later on for that one. 

Mustache is fucking killer. One of the best instrumentals off these discs, absolutely no doubt.

This is the best version of Quick Song yet.

Still working my way through the rest. 

Totally agree, first listen through I was shocked to hear vocals on ITW - it's unbelievable how much of this album was close to done by late 2000. 

And of the tracks we're hearing for the first time (on first listen) I was most impressed with Mustache, this song could be really great with vocals. 

I was mildly disappointed with Shankler's, much prefer the later version but it's certainly interesting to hear. 

Edited by axlsalinger
  • GNFNR 1